autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Help with ?Micromarring?

I have what looks like tiny nicks in my paint. Car had mild swirls (jsut minor toweling marks). In garage light - incandescent, twin 6 tube flourescent, double halogen and Brinnkmann Xenon (swirl finder) - the paint looks perfect. I cannot find a mark on it. When I pull it out in the sunlight, I see several tiny knick marks that look about 1-2 mm long. They won't photograph well on white paint. Do you think they are micrmarring that I need to finish better or incomplete removal of deeper swirls (I would think they would be longer if that were the case)? How should I fix them?

Details:

2008 White Ford Mustang.
    Griots Clay
    Griots 6in polisher
    Orange CCS pad - 105
    White CCS pad - 205
    IPA wipedown 91% 50:50

I thought it looked perfect. So I sealed with WG DGPS 3.0, cured 12 hrs, Pinnacle SSII. In the garage and with all the above lights looked fantastic. The paint looked like liquid glass had been poured over it. But, out in sunlight, the knicks are visible and some minor haze. You have to inspect to find them, but, they are enough to be easy to find.

Went back over a section with 205 on a grey CCS pad. The haze is all gone, but, the knicks are still there.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Help with ?Micromarring?

Those nicks and tiny marring may have been the deeper points of the original swirls that were not previously removed. Sometimes these nicks and tiny scratches may appear shallow, but are actually Random-Isolated-Deep-Scratches (RIDS) of the original swirls and scartches.

If you have used 205 and white pad correctly, which I am pretty sure you have, you should not have noticed marring or nicks created by M105.

This is why two passes of M105 with the orange pad are often required for the first-time detail. After correcting these deep nicks or RIDS on your first detail, simply wash your car with the two-bucket method with grit guard will avoid these RIDS you are seeing.

I bought a used Porsche 911 with some very deep scratches. The first detail required 3 passes with M105 and a wool pad to correct 95% of the scratches. After a year of proper washing technique I am not seeing any swirls or RIDS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_invisible View Post
    Those nicks and tiny marring may have been the deeper points of the original swirls that were not previously removed. Sometimes these nicks and tiny scratches may appear shallow, but are actually Random-Isolated-Deep-Scratches (RIDS) of the original swirls and scartches.

If you have used 205 and white pad correctly, which I am pretty sure you have, you should not have noticed marring or nicks created by M105.

This is why two passes of M105 with the orange pad are often required for the first-time detail. After correcting these deep nicks or RIDS on your first detail, simply wash your car with the two-bucket method with grit guard will avoid these RIDS you are seeing.

I bought a used Porsche 911 with some very deep scratches. The first detail required 3 passes with M105 and a wool pad to correct 95% of the scratches. After a year of proper washing technique I am not seeing any swirls or RIDS.
    That is some great info for sure .Only thing i can think of it may be pig tails which are caused by tilting the pad while your correcting the paint.A picture should would help but understand hard to take one .
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I did only one buffing cycle with 105/orange. The paint looked great in the lighting I had so I went on to 205/white. I will start over with 105 and double check in the sun prior to continuing. That becomes very difficult as most of my free time is at night.

I doubt it is from tilting. I make sure I am flat as possible. I will pay even closer attention next time to make sure. I appreciate any suggestions.
    Last edited by 5.4 Shelby; 04-01-2010 at 08:16 PM.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you strip the sealant you put on the paint before you start compounding and polishing again. It will clog up your pad more quickly and cause issues. Trust me...I've had issues with old wax and sealants that I didn't remove in the past.
    yaatraphotography@gmail.com
    O.C.Detailing - New Port Richey, FL. - http://www.facebook.com/ocdetailingraleigh
    (434)851-1313

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby View Post
    Thanks guys. I did only one buffing cycle with 105/orange. The paint looked great in the lighting I had so I went on to 205/white. I will start over with 105 and double check in the sun prior to continuing. That becomes very difficult as most of my free time is at night.

I doubt it is from tilting. I make sure I am flat as possible. I will pay even closer attention next time to make sure. I appreciate any suggestions.
    Get the Brinkman swirl finder light. It works at night. I'm not sure I'm understanding but 2 passes with 105 is not a lot, unless they mean do the 105 to completion and repeat the process before moving on to 205.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.Detailing View Post
    Make sure you strip the sealant you put on the paint before you start compounding and polishing again. It will clog up your pad more quickly and cause issues. Trust me...I've had issues with old wax and sealants that I didn't remove in the past.
    Good tip. I will do that.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Get the Brinkman swirl finder light. It works at night. I'm not sure I'm understanding but 2 passes with 105 is not a lot, unless they mean do the 105 to completion and repeat the process before moving on to 205.

Mark
    I have one. I mentioned that in the original post. I looked at it under incand, fluor, Xenon and Halogen light. Looks great with those light sources.

Even in sunlight, it looks OK. But I dont want OK. I want show car finish. I am working on my baby.

What I meant regarding the 105 is one full buffing cycle. About 5 or 6 section passes. The 105 dries up pretty quickly. Once I see it start to clear, I am stopping. Otherwise, wiping it off is like trying to get gum off your shoe. The 205 works a really long time. With the grey pad it seems to never go away.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

I went out tonight and did a small test section of the hood with 2 cycles of 105/orange, 1 cycle 205/white and 1 cycle 205/grey. I will do an IPA wipedown and pull it out in the sun tomorrow to what that gets me. If it worked, I'll wipe down with Griots paint prep and do the whole car as above.

Thanks for the help so far. Any other tips appreciated.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby View Post
    I went out tonight and did a small test section of the hood with 2 cycles of 105/orange, 1 cycle 205/white and 1 cycle 205/grey. I will do an IPA wipedown and pull it out in the sun tomorrow to what that gets me. If it worked, I'll wipe down with Griots paint prep and do the whole car as above.

Thanks for the help so far. Any other tips appreciated.
    That took care of it. The redone surface is flawless aside from 2 small deep knicks that are likely where rocks skimmed off the surface and knicked it rather than chipping it. The rest looks perfect.

With it being Easter weekend and we are having all of my wife's family over, I won't get a chance to re-do the whole car this weekend. I am going to wait and finish next week/weekend.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Kevin
    Kevin