autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Some Vintage Meguiar's Products from my Collection (Lots of pictures)

Some Vintage Meguiar's Products from my Collection (Lots of pictures)

I posted some of the below pictures in a related thread and in the process snagged a bunch of pictures from my collection and thought I would share them...
    The M07 formula has been around since the Model-T. The glass bottle is post-WWII, a glass bottle with the Mirror Bright wording on the label would be pre-WWII

Sometimes I remind people that these products were around before plastic was invented, thus the glass bottles. The "cylinder" bottle you see below, just to the right of the glass bottle was the first plastic bottles to be introduced I think in the late 1950's, maybe early 1960's.

Photos Courtesy of MeguiarsOnline.com
    (The majority of these bottles are in my personal collection, the oldest bottles belong to Barry Meguiar)

Pre-cursors to M07
    This is just a guess on my part because the people that would know the answers are no longer with us... that said, it's my guess this was a pre-cursor to the M07 product if not the M07 product. Note the art deco design of the first bottle...

Here's a collection of 4 old Mirror Bright products from between the 1920' and 1940's

M07 Sealer Reseal Glaze --> Show Car Glaze
    I posted these pictures recently to another related thread and thought I would share them here just to give people reading this a picture or anchor in their mind as to just how old the M07 formula is, it's been around since the Model-T. The glass bottle is post-WWII, a glass bottle with the Mirror Bright wording on the label would be pre-WWII

Sometimes I remind people that these products were around before plastic was invented, thus the glass bottles. The "cylinder" bottle you see below, just to the right of the glass bottle was the first plastic bottles to be introduced I think in the late 1950's, maybe early 1960's.
    The third bottle from the left is a clear plastic bottle when they switched to the current style of bottles and is from the 1970's

The 4th bottle from the right shows when they changed the name from Sealer Reseal Glaze to Show Car Glaze primarily because as our lingo changed in the car appearance world, people were confusing "Sealer" with "Sealant" and M07 is water-soluble, hopefully everyone reading this can see why that kind of confusion could be a problem in the enthusiast or consumer market.

M05 New Car Glaze
    M05 came out in the late 1950's after acrylic lacquer was introduced. The name has caused a lot of confusion over the decades because the name says "New Car" and people with brand new cars no matter what the era think this means it's a product for their car. Fact is, it came out as a product originally specific to single stage paints. It is like M07 except that it dries very fast and turns white when it dries whereas M07 doesn't really dry and remains clearish. M05 is also very powdery as you remove the residue. It is able to give you M07 results but easier to remove in a high-humidity climate due to the drying characteristic.

M03 Machine Glaze
    This is a "Green Label" version of M03 Machine Glaze, I don't know much about the Green Label version except that the label and the lid are green while most bottles were the standard black colors.

M03 Machine Glaze in the Cylinder Bottle, probably from the 1960's or 1970's.
    I was told that cylinder bottles were chosen because the could be easily slipped into a apron pocket in the professional side of the industry...

Mike Phillips

Re: Some Vintage Meguiar's Products from my Collection (Lots of pictures)

Continued...

Here's some more Green Label bottles...

Green Label Bottles

Just some of my collection...

Meguiar's didn't introduce a wax until 1950, which is our M08 Maximum Mold Release Wax and it's still in production today.

Just after that, in 1951, Meguiar's introduced their first automotive wax, MGH16, (Pictured below is M16, the MGH in MGH16 stood for Mirror Glaze Hand, which designated the product as a Mirror Glaze product formulated for application by hand)

Early can of MGH-16 (Later to become M-16)

It's an old can of M16, the hand is my son Rand trying to ham his way into my pictures!

Below you'll find a few pictures of my M16 Professional Paste Wax Collection. In case anyone doesn't know, M16 Professional Paste Wax was the first one of the first waxes introduced by Meguiar's.

Until then, everything was body shop safe as Meguiar's manufactured product for use on the assembly lines, or in body shops, they were also sold and used by consumers, but they were always formulated to not cause any problems for the finishing and re-finishing industries, (Just like the furniture products)

Old Furniture Glaze

Old Furniture Polish and Cleaner

Newer Furniture Cleaner from the 1970's or 1980's

Mike Phillips

Continued...

The Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax Paste was the first Meguiar's product I used, I have a story that goes with it I'll try to type up as I think a lot of you can relate to it.

Cleaner/Wax Paste

Cleaner/Wax Liquid

Here's an old bottle of Mirror Bright Silver Polish,

Front of bottle

Back Label

Here's my pride and joy... the half gallon glass jug of M02 Machine Light Cleaner.

Not real old, but somewhat obscure among the chatter about Meguiar's products, Meguiar's Marble Polish...

Here are the oldest examples of Meguiar's clay bar in my collection, if my memory serves me correctly, they introduced their first clay bar back in 1992 or 1993.
    (If anyone has an un-opened Meguiar's Clay Bar Package, let me know )

Note this particular clay bar was black. I've never used it because it's part of my collection of antique Meguiar's products, and I only pried it out of the packaging for this photo shoot.

The clay is still soft and [i]very[/i pliable and the clay itself has the Meguiar's imprint in it. Interesting huh?

This belongs to my friend Tom MacDonald's and is very rare... (I've only seen this one)

Glass half gallon jugs of Meguiar's are very hard to find and I've never seen this one before...

Buick Glaze was actually a paint cleaner for removing oxidation, similar to M04 Hand Cleaner. Here they are side-by-side...

Here's a hard one to find now a days...

Life Insurance Wax

These are very rare... Buick Glaze "Paint Cleaner" and "Hand Polish"

I actually have a full page newspaper add, (both sides of a opened newspaper), for that bottle of Turtle Wax from 1950. It's interesting that the ink for the ad is both black and green. Something I would guess is kind of rare? By the way, the bottle touts that the wax contains Brillium

Someone need an Avatar?

Post Thanks / Like

Great Museum collection you have their Mike!!!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Have you tried the Life Insurance Wax?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Mike,

Have you tried the Life Insurance Wax?
    No. While I've opened the can to check it out, It's never been used and I have not used it. Didn't want to disrupt the uniform mass of wax still in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Pictures Mike. Thanks for taking the time to put this together for us to see.

I like the term "Auto Laundries" for a Car Wash.

What kind of Fabric is a "Turkish Towel" made of ?
    Dean
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

2003 GMC Sierra Denali
    Onyx Black/Pewter Leather
    w/AWD & QuadraSteer.

2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD
    Aspen Pearl/Black Leather
    w/AWD & Journey Pkg.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice collection, Mike! Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!
    Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - 813-846-4406
    Auto, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Aircraft Detailing
    Premium Custom Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting. I remember my dad having turtle wax like that when I was a kid.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice collection you have there !!!
    I have 2 questions for you .
    1. Can we still get Meguiars paste wax # 16
    2. Can I buy one of those large Meguiars banners for my garage .?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast