autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Need help with a 05 Toyota Tacoma

Hey guys I have a friends 2005 Blue Toyota Tacoma that I was detailing for him and just cant seem to get the results I want. I am using a DA with Yellow pad (usually just use an orange pad but it wasnt working so I went to the yellow) and M105 but just cant seem to get the paint to level. It really has me confused as I have used this exact process on several cars and had awesome results.

Here are some pics after several passes with the M105 and DA polisher /Yellow pad. Some suggestions PLEASE. I have some SIP coming but it wont be here until Wednesday.

94 six speed Supra GT4088R
    679whp and 692lbs tq = 3.0 liters of FURY

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help with a 05 Toyota Tacoma

I was recently informed that the yellow pad will finish with marring and you need to follow up with either an orange or white. I would start with white and M205, if this doesn't work try orange with M205. Least aggressive first!

Post Thanks / Like

Are you following the M105 with a finishing polish like M205 or are you just using M105 by itself? M105 is a pretty aggressive compound, and as such it can cause micro-marring. Hence the reason for the M105/M205 combo. Looks like you've got some micro-marring going on. Try a finishing polish on a polishing pad and see if that clears it up. Remember to do a test spot!
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

I started using the orange pad but all the scratches in the pictures are from before I started to polish so I went to the yellow pad and it still doesn't seem to take out the scratches. Didn't know if the Toyota clear was super hard or whats going on, I have never had this problem before! The scratches you see are what I was trying to get out from the beginning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twissted View Post
    I started using the orange pad but all the scratches in the pictures are from before I started to polish so I went to the yellow pad and it still doesn't seem to take out the scratches. Didn't know if the Toyota clear was super hard or whats going on, I have never had this problem before! The scratches you see are what I was trying to get out from the beginning
    Oh. Are these deep enough that they catch your finger nail? You may need Menzerna PO 83 or possibly S34A if you are having a tough time with M105. Stay tuned because I know some of the seasoned pro's will chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

You can not feel them with a finger nail, thats what has me so confused. Someone recommended PFW pad on a rotary but I dont have one of those pads or experience with them. I may have to look into them though.

Post Thanks / Like

Those look like RIDS. A rotary will take care of those... and maybe a little wetsanding if needed...
    2006 Lincoln Zephyr- 28% Solar Guard Charcoal tint, Pioneer DVD player/In-dash, Boston Acoustics component 5x7's

Future Ride- Either the 2008-09 Mustang Shelby GT or base Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I can also see a lot of scratches on the fender flares even with minimal light. Looks like it's all over the car. Has this been repainted or still OEM? If it has been repainted, chances are these scratches were left unleveled on the base and sprayed over with the clear. Like you mentioned it doesn't catch your fingernail which means:

1. it's not deep enough of a scratch that a compound should have easily leveled it such as the m105 since it doesn't work, it has to be something else; or

2. the clear coat has leveled the finish over the marks left on the base if it has been repainted - the only solution would be to sand it down to level the base and repaint it with clear cause the marks are under the clear.

Just an idea though. It would be easier to assess if i could actually have a look personally.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can not feel it with your nail, and it has not been repainted I would say just keep at it. I have a 02 Tacoma and I made 20 to 30 passes in some areas to clean it up. I also still have a few bird dropping spots on the cab that have not come out fully.
    I used M105 with a G100 and 7" yellow pad on most of the truck.
    2002 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
    2005 Infiniti FX35

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Are you following the M105 with a finishing polish like M205 or are you just using M105 by itself? M105 is a pretty aggressive compound, and as such it can cause micro-marring. Hence the reason for the M105/M205 combo. Looks like you've got some micro-marring going on. Try a finishing polish on a polishing pad and see if that clears it up. Remember to do a test spot!
    Those scratches are definitely not micro-marring from polishing. Lets see what the experts say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast