autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing a truck...

I just bought a 2003 Silverado in need of a major detailing. I was just wondering if you guys have any methods of detailing the top of the truck (reaching up there). I am worried if I stand on a ladder it may tip over and scratch the truck. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing a truck...

If it's a regular cab I would stand in the bed of the truck.
    JJKACZ

Post Thanks / Like

It is an extended cab and has a cap . Good idea though I might just remove the cap and try that...

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a deck at your house you could pull up beside? You do have to use care with a ladder, wet feet and all. Good luck with the truck.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a full size truck with a cap, for the washing and clay parts of the detail opening the doors will help you reach on top. You will probably be detailing the interior following the exterior so a little water inside will not hurt anything. For any machine work I would recommend a 4 ft. Step ladder so that you do not have to worry about tipping it over on the paint. If you work in 6 sections, moving the ladder for each section you will easily be able to reach all the roof areas. Also for the front of the roof, flip the mirrors in so you can have a little more room to play with. You may also want to lay a towel on the roof next to your work area so you can keep all of your chemicals right next to you and not have to keep walking back and forth to pick something up. It can also act as a place to lay your machine down when not using it. And one other thing, take a beach towel and wrap it around the top of the step ladder then tape it with some duct tape, this is good for a just in case precaution. I hope this helps, I've been doing this for a few years and it has worked very nicely for me.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of your ideas. I just remembered I bought a new kitchen table so I can use the old one as an oversized stool . That should be perfect.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just did a search on how to reach the top of vehicles and came across this thread. I just got finished this weekend on my car and used one of those little 2-step stools to reach the top. I tried opening the door and standing in the car, but that felt too unsteady. The stool had rubber feet, but ended up kicking out from under me, which resulted in a dent in the top of my car when the polisher hit it! Good thing I didn't end up going through the rear windshield!

I don't know if it's just inexperience or what, but I really need to find something reliable to stand on if I'm going to work on customers' vehicles. I was looking at this on ebay and wondered what you pros thought. 3M 02516 P.R.O. Stand - Windshield/Van repair stand! | eBay

I come across the same problem when I do a windshield repair on larger vehicles, and up to now have been ok with the step stool. But when holding the buffer with two hands and then leaning over the car to get the middle of the top, I want to make sure I'm steady on my feet.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure somebody will remember the post from a while back and put it up again. It was a small metal platform that was about 4 foot long and maybe 2 foot high, with folding legs. I've had one for years, and use it to reach the roof of my truck. I think they run about $35 if not on sale. Quite a few home centers and hardware stores carry them.

Post Thanks / Like

Werner Aluminum Portable Work Platform

Shop Werner Aluminum Portable Work Platform at Lowes.com
    Dirt-B-Gone Mobile Detailing
    www.HandWashAndWax.com
    facebook.com/DBGMobileDetailing John Wells

Post Thanks / Like

I have an extended cab also.

When i need to work on the roof some of it can be accessed by standing in the bed. The front portion nearer the windshield I'll open the door and stand on a short step ladder or step stool.

It's always a good idea to cover the interior with a couple of drop cloths just in case.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast