autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review-FLEX XC 3401 Dual Action Orbital Polisher

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.Detailing View Post
    That's a good write-up, but saying that it's better and faster at correction than the Griot's is incorrect. Again I state, I've got 6 months of HARD detailing using my Griot's side-by-side with a Flex and an equally skilled detailer and he works no faster and doesn't clean defects any more in-depth than I do. Most of the time, it really depends on the hardness of the paint we're correcting on whether I have a better outcome or he does.

Great write-up none-the-less. The vibration issue, I agree with you. I've got to center my pads very carefully or my Griot's is unusable. Also, after receiving my new Griot's, I have noticed that it's not quite as loud as my first one. Not sure why that is.
    Thank you, I appreciate your comments and experience. You certainly have more than I do. All I can say is I used the Griots on a 99 Saturn SL and the Flex on a 97 Saturn SL. I assume the paint is the same but maybe not. I used the same pads and polish on a portion of my 97 Saturn as what I used on the 99 Saturn. And for me the Flex corrected faster.

Thanks again
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said, it's all a matter of which type of paint you're dealing with on a particular day. I don't think John and I have ever had a day where both of our machines were working perfectly at the same time on the same car. It's usually the opposite. He'll have a great day on a car and I"ll be struggling or vice-versa. Neither is faster or better than the other.

I don't get fatigued by the vibrations of my machine, nor do I make mistakes because of them. To be honest, there is a difference, but it's not a massive difference. With the Griot's, you're feeling more vibrations, with the Flex, you're fighting the machine in a lot of ways, like you would with a rotary sometimes. There are trade-offs to both.

They both have their quirks. Both are awesome machines. Neither is better made or better overall than the other, but sometimes, you just get better results with one over the other. The next day, it could be the opposite.
    yaatraphotography@gmail.com
    O.C.Detailing - New Port Richey, FL. - http://www.facebook.com/ocdetailingraleigh
    (434)851-1313

Post Thanks / Like

That review put my fears and suspicions to rest. My Flex order is in my shopping cart.
    John
    Mean people suck

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This review has helped me to make my final decision. In the end it's actually going to come down to the Flex having less vibration. I'm used to using a Cyclo which was really nice as the vibrations were kept to a minimum. I could do an entire car and my shoulder's wouldn't be sore that night. My problem is when the shoulders get sore I get a headache the next day. It looks like it's going to be the Flex after all for me!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up, but you called the Griot a V2, isn't the Meg's a V2 (G110v2) You also said that the Flex had a 5.5" backing plate, does it not have a 6" bp?

Post Thanks / Like

The new generation of Griot's could be considered a V2 as the first gen got some pretty bad reviews. That's why I called AG before I bought mine to make sure I was getting a machine I could trust.

Gratz on your Flex purchases all. Glad you made your choices. I hope to get mine in the future as well.
    yaatraphotography@gmail.com
    O.C.Detailing - New Port Richey, FL. - http://www.facebook.com/ocdetailingraleigh
    (434)851-1313

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review! I think you just made a few sales for Flex
    Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Also of note the Flex feels like a precision machine crafted to tighter tolerances. This should translate to higher dependability. If you want to know where your other $170 is going it is to pay the engineers, designers, and fabricators that are skilled and have pride in their work, and for the materials of a machine that was well deigned.
    My feelings exactly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpegs13 View Post
    That review put my fears and suspicions to rest. My Flex order is in my shopping cart.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    This review has helped me to make my final decision. In the end it's actually going to come down to the Flex having less vibration. I'm used to using a Cyclo which was really nice as the vibrations were kept to a minimum. I could do an entire car and my shoulder's wouldn't be sore that night. My problem is when the shoulders get sore I get a headache the next day. It looks like it's going to be the Flex after all for me!
    Congratulations, you guys won't be disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Nice write up, but you called the Griot a V2, isn't the Meg's a V2 (G110v2) You also said that the Flex had a 5.5" backing plate, does it not have a 6" bp?
    Thank you! I just meant Griots version 2. I'm not sure of the exact designation.

The Flex does have a 5.5" backing plate though. I measured it just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post
    Excellent review! I think you just made a few sales for Flex

My feelings exactly.
    Thank you for the compliment and thank you for the info you gave me on the Flex before my purchase!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    It says 6 inches, but it measures at exactly 5.5 inches

Post Thanks / Like

Wow ... detailed review indeed. I too love the Flex.

Scott

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast