autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Black leather coat stain on a tan leather seat

Hello,

I've researched this in several different places and called a leather store but thought it wouldn't hurt to post on here.

I detailed a car the other day and part of the process was cleaning and then conditioning the leather. The leather was fairly dirty with a black residue on it. I tried a lot of different things to get it out and finally had to resort to soaking a Mr Clean Magic pad. They were so dirty, it took two of them to get the black residue off the seats.

Then I used Zaino Leather in a bottle as it has worked great in the past and I conditioned every inch of leather in the car.

Today I get an email asking if I conditioned the car because the owner wore a black leather coat yesterday and today the seat is black.

I'm like umm, ok, I don't know of a conditioner that is going to prevent dye transfer in a case such as that but yes I conditioned every inch of leather in the car.

It was raining all day yesterday so I'm wondering if the coat got wet and then bled.

Anywho, ISA is the common product I've read that can be used to get this kind of stain out. After speaking with the leather store, they indicated, pending on the severity we'll probably have to use something like ISA to remove color and redye it.

I wanted to check to see if anybody has used any other products. Another product I had read mentioned was Maxi Clean but he indicated it wouldn't be much good for something such as this.

Second, I don't know of a conditioner that can prevent this type of problem. I asked the leather store if they sold anything better and they jokingly recommended going to the paint store and getting clear coat as an option if there were going to be those types of expectations.

I know some leather conditioners claim they help prevent stains but I don't know of any that would prevent something like this. Does anyone else?

I think when we get it corrected, I'm going to try the 303 protectant as it indicates it protects leather & Vinyl unless anybody has any better suggestions. Even then, I'm going to highly recommend not wearing colored wet leather on the seats.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by frosty; 12-09-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black leather coat stain on a tan leather seat

my wife gave me her leather/suede boots in off white that got stained when her brown denim jeans leg rubbed the front of the boot.....I've tried all kinds of cleaners from Lexol to APC...only the APC seemed to lighten up the stain. Seems to me the harder I buffed the lighter the stain got. Gonna try dying the boots next to a brown color so it doesn't happen again.

Check with cowboy boot companies....someone told me they use a contact cement, paint it on, let dry than peel....supposed to take stain with it....Let me know if you try it and it works...haha
    Robert DiTerlizzi, 772-260-6636
    Impressions Fine Automotive Detailing
    7656 SW Jack James Dr.Stuart, Fl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Impressions View Post
    Check with cowboy boot companies....someone told me they use a contact cement, paint it on, let dry than peel....supposed to take stain with it....Let me know if you try it and it works...haha
    Hmm, that's interesting. I won't rule it out. I've yet to see the car. Have you tried using rubbing alcohol? I've also read that cheap hair spray works but it's mainly because it contains alcohol.

Post Thanks / Like

Ran across this product that I'm going to give a try since they are close by.

leather Stain Remover Ink Remover