autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Want To Buy Griots... BUT??

Want To Buy Griots... BUT?

I was going to hold off on buying a polisher and then I see today that they are on sale... I want to purchase a Griots but what is up with the Porter Cable having a GAZILLION (If that is a word) bonus combos and the Griots only having 3 diffent combo deals?

I purchased DP max wax, P21 Paint Cleanser, Pinacle Clay bar, Pinnacle Final Finish Detailer. All of which I was going to apply by hand.

I am a noob to all this stuff... Why does the Griots not get the same attention as the Porter Cable?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Want To Buy Griots... BUT??

Because the Griot DA is more powerful than the PC and a lifetime warranty. So if you had more PC's in stock would you not make a more attractive deal to move them? The PC is a time tested product, there are thousands of PC still performing like when they were new. So, some will still stay with a time tested product. I myself have both, but grab the Griot when I don't need a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Profit margins?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Because the Griot DA is more powerful than the PC and a lifetime warranty. So if you had more PC's in stock would you not make a more attractive deal to move them? The PC is a time tested product, there are thousands of PC still performing like when they were new. So, some will still stay with a time tested product. I myself have both, but grab the Griot when I don't need a rotary.

I am still in the learning process, can you please explain the above highlighted? Are they both not the same machine/technology just different company's?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mavven77 View Post
    I am still in the learning process, can you please explain the above highlighted? Are they both not the same machine/technology just different company's?
    Griot and Porter Cable make polishers that are called dual action or random orbital polishers. They replicate the same motion as when your polishing your car by hand. It's really a take off of an electric sander. Because of the orbit motion it is really paint safe. On the other hand a rotary buffer only spins in a circle at high speeds and creates a lot of heat. This heat along with a foam or wool pad can take the clear coat right off the base paint in a heartbeat. Takes a lot of practice to use a rotary correctly. So the newbie detailer is advised to start out with a dual action machine as these machines are very safe. So get yourself a DA and start buffing.

Mike Phillips

Takes a lot of practice to use a rotary correctly. So the newbie detailer is advised to start out with a dual action machine as these machines are very safe.
    This is correct, there's not much of a learning curve to become proficient with a dual action polisher and the new PC 7424XP and the Griot's Garage ROP are very powerful yet safe at the same time. Over the weekend I helped to buff out a 1954 Mercedes-Benz and I paid very close attention to the action of the Griot's polisher and my observation was that using 5.5" pads and holding the pad flat it functions just like a rotary buffer. That's saying something.

So get yourself a DA and start buffing.
    Good advice, DA polishers are easy to learn how to use and do a far better job than your 4 fingers pushing down on some kind of wax applicator pad.

Post Thanks / Like

To answer the question about the kits offered with the PC vs Griot's, its very simple we have had the Griot's less then a year I think and the Porter Cable since day one. So really its just a matter of the PC has been around for the making of all the kits. Let us know if you are looking for something special though we can probably accommodate you with a package.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Meghan has a great op for any potential buffer user, grab the Griots and the Ceramiclear polish kit. WOW !

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Go Griot's and don't look back. Great products, but not the only great products on the market. For the most part, Griot's is my "go to" care care products.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been doing bit of research on buffers lately. I've been a big Griots fan for years. I have the original Griots PC and with that have had little success in removing all the swirls in the wifes 2008 Yukon Denali (I've read that it has hard paint). I don't consider myself a pro detailer or anything, just a car cleaning nut!
    So, i'd like to upgrade. Not taking into consideration the price diff, would you suggest the Flex or the new Griots?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast