autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Water Spots - Very Old Car

1958 Mercedes Maroon paint original and getting thin. It got badly water spotted (should I upload photos for better advice?) and I'm not sure how to proceed. I read a little about using a vinegar spray to see if it would help. I've tried a couple of real fine polishs by hand to little effect although it seemed to help a little. Trying to avoid a re-paint on an otherwise original car. Water spotting occured from the car being left out in the rain and dried by the sun, an accident since I keep it garaged otherwise. I'm thinking I need a real pro to try to fix this but have been unable to find anyone I really trust. Advice sought and appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Water Spots - Very Old Car

No question, photos will render you more accurate information to proceed with. '58 Mercedes sounds like a single stage paint job so you may be able to compound the spots out.

Let's see some pics.

Post Thanks / Like

I would take it someone with a PTG that can read how thick the paint is. Especially with original paint on a car like that.
    2007 Mustang GT 5-Speed
    2008 Superduty 6.4 Twin Turbo

Post Thanks / Like

Search water spot remover, there are a lot of products that AG carries. If none of these products work, pm me and I'll direct you to a line that will work. I say this because I have not used any water spot removers that AG has, but a friend gave me a bottle to use on a badly spotted car and it took it right off.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Duragloss offering ok ??? I too see several outside companies offering an acid based water spot remover and reviews suggest they work well ... but havent gotten a chance to pick one up.

Scott

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got pictures here
    http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/rmagowan/2nd Set MB PICS/?albumview=slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_ click
    Password is mb220s
    What company is AG
    Thanks for the info folks.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful car first of all. I would say to try with the least aggressive approach first which would be a quick detailer. Most have slight cleaning power and could potentially remove those water spots if they haven't etched the paint. After that, I would try an abrasive free paint cleanser.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmmagow View Post
    I've got pictures here
    http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/rmagowan/2nd Set MB PICS/?albumview=slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_ click
    Password is mb220s
    What company is AG
    Thanks for the info folks.
    The link doesnt seem to work for me.... hmmm

The acronym AG stands for Autogeek, who's forums you are on. They also have a store, which has NUMEROUS, NUMEROUS good products. Here is a water spot remover I found that they carry.

Duragloss Water Spot Remover (WSR) #505

The first thing you need to do, is figure out which kind of water spots they are. At the bottom of this post http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml#post158814 There are a couple pics of the different kinds of water spots. The first, is above surface, and can normally be removed with a chemical cleaner, that doesn't remove any paint. The 2nd kind, has etched its way below the surface of the paint, and can only be removed by using compounds or polishes to level the surface down to the water etches.

I agree with Superduty on this one. Given the car, age, and original paint.... I would find a detailer with a PTG (paint thickness gauge) and let them see how much paint there is left. That will give you a good idea on what actions can safely be taken to remove the spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Link did not work.
    Have you tried washing and then claying the car with a medium to aggressive clay?

Also I would try LC white pad and polish first and see if that works. if not then try LC orange pad and compound. If that doesnt work you will have to bump it up to a wool pad.
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sullysdetailing View Post
    Link did not work.
    Have you tried washing and then claying the car with a medium to aggressive clay?

Also I would try LC white pad and polish first and see if that works. if not then try LC orange pad and compound. If that doesnt work you will have to bump it up to a wool pad.
    I notice your an AG consultant. Are advertising logo's and phone numbers and web site now allowed on AG? If so, I would like to start posting my business on my Sig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast