autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Are California Car Dusters safe to use?

Are California Car Dusters safe to use on the paint of my black car. Can they scratch the paint. Does anyone use these?? I have a black car and I can detail it, put it in the garage and two hours later have dust all over it. The duster seems to work great for removing the dust off my clean car. Is it safe for the paint?? Anyone else use these or have an opinon? Also any opinons on using DP waterless auto wash for spot cleaning and bug removal of a maintained clean car??

Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are California Car Dusters safe to use?

I have never had a problem with one..........EVER. Follow the directions to the letter (getting it ready) and learn to lightly swipe the car not rub the duster into the finish. More than ten years with zero problems. Use it as a duster not a wiper. Keep in mind it is for dust or pollen, nothing more.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    I have never had a problem with one..........EVER. Follow the directions to the letter (getting it ready) and learn to lightly swipe the car not rub the duster into the finish. More than ten years with zero problems. Use it as a duster not a wiper. Keep in mind it is for dust or pollen, nothing more.
    +1. I've seen a lot of opinions on this, but I too, have not had problems. I let the dreds lightly glide over the finish, sometimes shaking the CD out after one pass, say on the hood, etc. I usually use the CD the following morning, when the paint is nice and cool, and yes, my daily driver is usually garaged/car port at night.

IMO, the key is to know when you have enough buildup to warrant an actual washing. Some also have issues using a CD on black or dark blue paint and I'll let them respond about that.
    "Opportunity may knock only once, but temptation leans on the doorbell." ~ Author unknown.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen a problem on black lacquer paint or clear coated black. As long as the car is well waxed, the wax will protect the paint from any micro marring which could occur by removing light dust with a light swipe. it is a lot quicker than using just a qd as well, because with a qd, you would need maybe 3-5 towels to do the whole car, but with the car duster method, followed with a qd like Griot's Garage Speed Shine, it is the fastest and easiest way to restore the car to a show car shine, with only 1 or 2 towels, tops. Lets face it, regular qd use can be expensive, so if you use the duster first, you will be saving yourself some money as well as time.
    Now, if you had a black car that was perfect in every way, with soft paint, then you would use a waterless wash every time the car got dusty, because you would be that obsessed about not taking any chance whatsoever in getting even the slightest marring, even on your fine wax job. That would only be for a Concours car that never gets driven anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

just waxed the car, and someone scratched it, some are not so deep, but a couple appear to go thru the clear coat. only problem is that i dont have an orbital, and will have to do it by hand. any recommendations as to what product might remove these?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by molarman View Post
    just waxed the car, and someone scratched it, some are not so deep, but a couple appear to go thru the clear coat. only problem is that i dont have an orbital, and will have to do it by hand. any recommendations as to what product might remove these?
    If the scratches go through the clear, the only thing that will fix that is paint. Either repaint the panel, or clean the scratch with mineral spirits and fill with clear touch up paint, and then sand and polish the touch up paint part flush with the rest of the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthornone View Post
    If the scratches go through the clear, the only thing that will fix that is paint. Either repaint the panel, or clean the scratch with mineral spirits and fill with clear touch up paint, and then sand and polish the touch up paint part flush with the rest of the paint.
    This is in the wrong thread, but why would you recommend a clear instead of a matching touch up paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    This is in the wrong thread, but why would you recommend a clear instead of a matching touch up paint?
    Because he said the car was clear coated and that the scratch was in the clear coat. He did not say that the color was missing. The clear coat is what is on top, and therefore that is the surface that must be matched.

Post Thanks / Like

I know some people on here like them, but I would NEVER let a California Car Duster touch my paint, if you're so careful when washing and drying about not creating swirls, then why would you take a duster then rub it on a DRY and DUSTY surface.

You may as well dry your clean car after washing with a waterblade or old T-shirt if you're using a Cali Duster.

Post Thanks / Like

I would never use one on my paint.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast