autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some help from the pros getting started

Hey guys,

In the effort of trying to put myself in an M3 im starting up a small business, more of a hobby than a business (dont worry mike im on the east coast). But anyway ill have a few customer in a week or so and just want to get ready. There not expecting professional work just a good price. Im going to give it my best though so here are my questions.

As of right now all i have is wax and some wolfgang polish and polish enhancer. What else should i use for a full out detail job or maybe a better quetsion is what are your preferances?

So far ive found out about glaze and compounds also but dont really know what they are. Still researching that.

I also heard around here that you either polish or wax cause they take on the same role so doing one after the other is like putting wax on your wax. Whats the take on this?

What have you guys heard/think about wheel shielding products that supposedly dont let brake dust stick on the wheels as much?
    From being on the bimmer forum they used to say it was bad because it negatively effected the brakes some how. I forgot what the actual reasoning was, might have been a heat issue or something.

What should i do for trims and chrome?

So far this is my list of services. Any suggestions?
    Exterior:
    Polish
    bug and tar removal
    Tire shine
    Rain X
    Wax (maybe?)

Interior:

Door jams and panels
    Dash/center console - probably armour all (do you pros not like that stuff? I ask becasue it came from autozone and most of the stuff in that store is junk)
    Clean air vents
    Seats/leather care
    shampoo carpets/rubber all whether mats
    Windows with invisible glass

So thats it any input is greatly appreciated.

thanks, Drew

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some help from the pros getting started

Well, if somebody gives you a car to wash, part of washing that car is going to be removing bugs and tar. Using Stoner Tarminator wherever there is tar will make quick work of it during the wash process.

I'm not crazy about Rain-X because it makes the windows fog up really quickly in rainy and humid conditions. Clean glass will do fine, but you can spray on some Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer and it will give the glass some protection from water spots and stuff.

For waxing, you can use Optimum Car Wax. It's a spray wax that is extremely durable. It's easy to apply, looks really decent, protects very well, and it's very affordable by the gallon. Both you and your customers will be very happy with the results should they opt to have the vehicle waxed.

For dashboard, you're going to want to use 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium. It's not cheap, but it cleans and protects in one step. It also has a natural clean look, no fake shine or anything like that.

After cleaning rubber floor mats, they may not look completely black so you can apply some 303 Aerospace Protectant to them. It will restore the black/dark color and will help keep the floor mats cleaner for longer. It will also make future cleanings easier.

I'm not a fan of wheel shields. They are good for lazy people who do not like to clean their cars. They work very well for a regular car, but for a higher-performance vehicle they're not good because they trap the heat from the brakes. Wheel shields usually have holes in them to help vent out the heat and again, that's fine for regular cars but some cars could experience brake fade during normal driving simply because there isn't enough ventilation for the heat to escape.

Finally, some products are referred to as a "polish" when they are really just a sealant or wax-type product. You polish the paint in order to clean the paint and get it ready for waxing. Polishing removes fine scratches and swirls (among other paint imperfections), and removes any oxidation that may have occurred. There are a number of different products and methods to polish a vehicle. A wax or sealant will enhance the shine and provide protection from the elements. Thanks to technology, there are many products out there now that will polish, seal, and protect your paint in just one step.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some help from the pros getting started

Polishing is NOT the same as waxing or sealing. And sealing your paint doesn't offer the same benefits as waxing and vice-versa, though they both protect your paint. There are pros and cons to both, but polishing is the process of correcting the paint and preparing it for the application of a sealant (long-term protection, not quite as much warmth or depth as wax) or a wax (short-term protection, but offers a deeper, warmer look to the finish).

I opt for sealants over waxes but will add a wax ON TOP of a sealant if the customers would like as the wax on top of a sealant adds the warmth of the wax while giving you the longer protection of the sealant, though a sealant alone gives a very nice outcome without the need for a wax on top.

Do some more research. This is not a cheap business by any stretch of the imagination. I'm making anywhere from $100-250 per vehicle and barely getting ahead as I use decent quality items from here to make sure each car is better than the expectations of the customer I'm working for.