autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need advice on polishing etc.

So detailed my metallic black Mercedes C350 earlier this summer using Wolfgang's Total Swirl kit and was pretty happy with the results. It was alot of work as you all know. I didnt get every last micro swirl out as I hoped but I have read the clear on the Merc is pretty hard.

After a few months of washings I am noticing swirls again (as to be expected). I dont want to redetail the car again but I would like to polish it up and reseal it for fall and winter (Wisconsin).

Also, I have a Montego Blue BMW X3 that needs to be detailed. Lots of swirls from washing but in great condition overall.

My question is this. Is there a product(s) that I can use to buff (Porter Cable) both vehicles with less effort than the WG SR followed by WG FG followed by WG DGPS? These polishes have diminishing abrasves so I it turns out to be alot of work if you are doing all three applications. What about Menzerna or Megs 105 & 205? I dont think these are diminishing are they? So then I could just work them until I am happy right?

Dont get me wrong. I dont mind putting in the work but that is usually reserved for the first detail of the season. For the fall I would like to just shine them up and get ready for the snow. Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice on polishing etc.

The Menzerna are diminishing abrasives don't know about the 105/205 combo. I think the complete system approach is more work but has a better finish IMHO. If you want a quick fix you might try a product like Poorboy's Black Hole, Poorboys Black Hole Show Glaze can be applied any time to hide minor imperfections and to enhance gloss on black, red, and all dark vehicles. It won't take the scratches out but it will help to make them less noticeable and bring back a great shine. Then you can apply your WG DGPS over it and you have an easy cleanup, good protection for winter, but your work will still be there for the future.

I'm a noob at this so I'm sure you will get much better answers than mine, it's just a suggestion.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

You can try M205 by itself to see if it does the job. M105 and 205 are not diminishing. So you work it till the desired result. For a one-step you could try menzerna power finish 203. I mean how bad are the swirls? Light or heavy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    I mean how bad are the swirls? Light or heavy?
    The swirls are quite light.

Post Thanks / Like

What pads do you have? I've used the wolfgang TSR on a car as a one-step w/a soft green pad. You could also try the wolfgang FG on a soft green or grey and see if it does anything. No need to spend more money if it is not needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    What pads do you have? I've used the wolfgang TSR on a car as a one-step w/a soft green pad. You could also try the wolfgang FG on a soft green or grey and see if it does anything. No need to spend more money if it is not needed.
    Orange, blue, and white pads