autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Final Wipe

Mike Phillips

Re: The Final Wipe

***Update***

I added a video to the first post of this thread. In the video I demonstrate the final wipe technique...

Post Thanks / Like

I always use Meguiar's mist&wipe quik retailer is that a bad idea?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Coakley Carwash View Post
    I always use Meguiar's mist&wipe quik retailer is that a bad idea?

Depends upon your point of view...

If you just waxed your car and you want to leave as much wax on the paint as possible you don't want to

A. Keep wiping and wiping - this won't add more wax, what's the opposite of adding?

B. Introduce a liquid and wipe - this won't add more wax, what's the opposite of adding?

In a perfect world, you wipe of the majority of the wax then you give the paint a "Final Wipe" and then you stand back and admire the results and let some time go by for any and all protection ingredients to fully set-up, cure, cross-link, bond, adhere, stick, (whatever term applies best), and THEN if needed, do any touch-up wiping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Just the thought of her heavy metal bracelet that close to the paint makes me uncomfortable.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Joz132 View Post
    Just the thought of her heavy metal bracelet that close to the paint makes me uncomfortable.

Have no fear... myself and a number of guys were on hand to make sure no harm came to the bracelet...

Seriously, when I was having Swirl Girls model the cars we were all very careful around the cars the "we" all just polished out. I'm pretty good at NOT undoing hard work.

Notice how Tina keeps protects the paint between here bracelet and the paint with her finger.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no doubt that you and the girls were careful, Mike - I was half joking about the bracelet.

Although, the topic does serve as a good refresher to be mindful of things such as:
    rings, watches, belt buckles, zippers and metal snaps on cargo shorts.

Mike Phillips

I have no doubt that you and the girls were careful, Mike - I was half joking about the bracelet.
    I was full joking...
    (about making sure no harm came to the bracelet)

Although, the topic does serve as a good refresher to be mindful of things such as:
    rings, watches, belt buckles, zippers and metal snaps on cargo shorts.

Agreed.

In all the classes I've taught and for all the cars I've buffed out personally, I make it a practice to dress appropriately and remove anything that could damage paint.

Believe it or not, my normal clothes of choice to buff out a special interest vehicle would be mid-top Nike's with an air-cushion sole, shorts for obvious reasons and a large, soft cotton t-shirt that covers down far enough to cover the belt loops on my shorts. The reason being is that for a lot of cars at some point you have to lean on a side panel like the front fender in order to reach out and machine sand, buff or wax the middle of the hood.

You don't want to instill scratches into the paint as you're doing this so a soft t-shirt will usually work well enough. There are other options like aprons too...

Another option is to do all the steps to panels like the hood first so any marring the vertical panels accidental get are removed after all the horizontal panel work is finished.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

I am so glad I found this forum. Being a guy who strives to do it correctly, you write and display it better than anyone anywhere... keep on keepin on brother!!! I also have many co-workers and friends who look to me as their local car care/finish expert, so I ensure to give you props when I practice your techniques and then disseminate them to the masses... consider me one of your disciples!

I have a 2005 LS430 with RIDS, now I have the confidence to try and knock them out! Thanks for the boost in confidence.

-John

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Viper6 View Post

Mike,

I am so glad I found this forum. Being a guy who strives to do it correctly, you write and display it better than anyone anywhere... keep on keepin on brother!!!

Thank you for the kind words... I have two passions in life,

Polishing the paint on cool cars
    Showing other people how to polish paint (on any car)

So my passion drives my writing, photography and the classes I teach...

I also have many co-workers and friends who look to me as their local car care/finish expert, so I ensure to give you props when I practice your techniques and then disseminate them to the masses... consider me one of your disciples!
    Sounds good... sounds like we do the same thing, help others to get what they want...

"You can have everything in life that you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

-Zig Ziglar

I have a 2005 LS430 with RIDS, now I have the confidence to try and knock them out! Thanks for the boost in confidence.

-John

RIDS can be tricky when working on factory paint because the paint is thin and hard. So be careful...

Also, check out my article here, it pretty much sums up how I think when it comes to car detailing and I think it speaks for a lot of other detailers too...

The Mindset of a Professional Detailer

Hallandale Beach, between Miami and Fort Lauderdale
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome tip!!! Thank you Mike for sharing it, never thought about it!!
    Only thing I remembered, in Thursday garage makeover you teached me
    that folded microfiber cloth sharp sewed edges should be in your hand and the soft folded edges should be sliding over the cars paint. At the photos where it shows how the white microfiber is placed over the hood,the red sewed edge is sliding over the hood
    Sorry if it's looks like I want to be a smart a...s Just remembered what you teached me and I am happy for all the knowledge you have given me for all this time!!
    Thank you very very much!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast