autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Final Wipe

Mike Phillips

Re: The Final Wipe

Quote Originally Posted by MisterShark View Post
    Another easily overlooked minor detail: make sure your hands are clean and oil-free.
    Great tip.

All my career I've always made it a habit to wash my hands when it comes to applying the LSP and removing it but never once shared that in a post, so thanks for adding this to the thread.

For the grunt work of removing swirls and such it's not a big deal but when you go to the last step, even when working by machine, take a moment to wash your hands and clean-up a little, same thing when it's time to remove you LSP, make sure your hands are clean and then to some level try to enjoy this last step procedure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wisemonkey View Post
    this is awesome
    Thanks again Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhhhhh..thanks..those darn streaks have been driving me crazy. I will go in "slo mo" from now on. Thanks a million !!!

Post Thanks / Like

i always wait a few hours after waxing and hit the paint work again with a nice fluffy microfiber towel. and after reading mike posts i go nice and slow now and its alot better
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: The Final Wipe

Love reading your posts Mike. It's also reassuring to me to hear from someone like your self that what I am doing is correct. I know that may sound vain or arrogant but that is not my intention-I am just simply proud of my A.R.'dness as you put it haha.

As you have said in many of your posts you have to protect the work you have done while in the LSP. One way I do this is to keep all of my paint correcting microfibers in a sealed container with my softest and best towels on the bottom and stacking the more "aggressive" towels consecutively on top. They kinda go with my pads and the polishing process whereas when compounding say with an orange LC pad I use the most aggressive mf of the bunch from the top of the pile and work my way down to the softer MF'rs as you would work up to a softer polishing pad. This way you are always using your softest mf that needs to be used for the current application.

Hope that makes sense-still trying to get the hang of getting my thoughts into words that make sense. Something you do very well I have to say.

Thanks again-I stay up way too late reading this stuff!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: The Final Wipe

Excellent read Mike,

But I must say that when I first read this I thought it was full of crap but as I read through it, it was making sense.

I have a E90 BMW which is three years old and the paint work is very good condition and wash weekly and find myself waxing monthly.

My wax of choice has been MaxWax but up till now have been more than frustrated with it. At the time of buffing off, things looked great but when I saw it the following day I could see a haze in the paint work and required a QD to bring it back. I thought I was applying a very thin coat of wax but as I found out today, this was not the case.

Today, I did the usual and due to the amount of rain we have had over the past few weeks I thought it may be wise for a wax - this time I put the wax down in a very very thin coat, to the point where you could only see the wax coat under certain light conditions. The applicator was gliding over the paint and not biting the surface so I knew wax was down.

I left this for 2 hours and then removed with terry-towing. At this stage things were really looking awesome.

Then come 'THE FINAL WIPE' (With Microfibre cloth).

Normally I would be quick as a Rat Up A Drain Pipe, but this time I slowed it right down.

The end result is nothing less than breath taking. A Sparkling Graphite BMW in the sun just looks better than sex......... or am I doing it wrong. :-)

Tanks again Mike - Just fantastic. I thought I knew a lot about detailing but this just tops it.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Good Article Mike! Thank you

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzables View Post
    Excellent read Mike,

But I must say that when I first read this I thought it was full of crap but as I read through it, it was making sense.

Tanks again Mike - Just fantastic. I thought I knew a lot about detailing but this just tops it.

Pete
    Thanks Pete...

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Good Article Mike! Thank you
    Thanks Corey...

Sometimes you can go faster by slowing down, sometimes you can get the results you are truly looking for by simply slowing down...

Here's a few related articles for all the Members and Lurkers that might read this into the future...

How to correctly fold and use a Microfiber Towel

The 4 minimum categories of wiping cloths

How many microfiber polishing cloths do I need to detail my car?

Post Thanks / Like

This is truly such a great tip. Ever since I have read this article, I have been going nice and slow with amazing results. Just steps ur work up that extra notch. Works really with "oily" type waxes. Haste makes waste as they say.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, the final wipe is so important, there is nothing worse than seeing corrections that need to be made while the customer is standing their next to you. I invested in some micro fiber type gloves (got them in Korea) and I wear them in addition to the MF towel when doing the final wipe. Always keep a fine bristle brush and q-tips handy as I go along, the inside of that gas tank cover can be tough getting the wax out of.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast