autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Final Wipe

Mike Phillips

Re: The Final Wipe

Quote Originally Posted by Roikins View Post

Awesome tip!!! Thank you Mike for sharing it, never thought about it!!
    It's a small or minor technique for times when you see streaks or smears. Plus it's always a good idea to wipe paint gently not coarsely.

Quote Originally Posted by Roikins View Post

Only thing I remembered, in Thursday garage makeover you teached me
    that folded microfiber cloth sharp sewed edges should be in your hand and the soft folded edges should be sliding over the cars paint.

And that is correct. If I could take this picture used in this thread from almost 6 years ago over again I would show the technique you're describing.

What you see in this picture is okay though as my hand is inside the perimeter of the folded towel and thus not pressing down on the edges.

The technique I use now and show simply enables you to grip the towel for more control while also making using the towel safer.

Hallandale Beach, between Miami and Fort Lauderdale
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    It's a small or minor technique for times when you see streaks or smears. Plus it's always a good idea to wipe paint gently not coarsely.

And that is correct. If I could take this picture used in this thread from almost 6 years ago over again I would show the technique you're describing.

What you see in this picture is okay though as my hand is inside the perimeter of the folded towel and thus not pressing down on the edges.

The technique I use now and show simply enables you to grip the towel for more control while also making using the towel safer.

Got it The Final Wipe
    Every detail is really planned when you are doing the art, it's just awesome!! Love it!!
    Thank you sooo much , Mike!! I wish I found you , the Autogeek store and the forum few years earlier

Sent from my The Final WipeThe Final WipeThe Final Wipeusing Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Good Question!

Answer: Sure! You can do this if you like, it’s up to you. For the final wipe you can use your favorite quick detailer to give the finish a final wipe and this is a great way to remove any streaks and insure a uniform appearance over the entire car as well as help you to remove any trace residues that you’re eyes might have missed.

D.O. Enthusiasts and Detailers
    Keep in mind that this article is written for an online audience of both enthusiast detailers as well as a few professional detailers that tend to be very A.R., (Anal Retentive), or as I like to say, D.O. which means Detailer Oriented, (sounds better, I hate using the term A.R.), and for this audience they’re looking for getting the maximum features and benefits from their LSP or Last Step Product, which is usually a wax or a paint sealant and some of these people would prefer not to wipe the finish down with any liquids until after a window of time has passed to allow all the protection ingredients to fully cure or set-up.

Leaving the maximum protection ingredients behind on he surface
    The issue is about leaving as much protection on the surface as possible and the concern is if you wipe the paint down with some type of quick detailer, (a liquid), and a microfiber, (even though it’s gentle, it’s more aggressive than not touching the paint at all), after just having removed a fresh coat of wax or paint sealant, you’re disrupting the protection ingredients and probably removing some of them off the surface to some degree. This defeats the purpose of putting them on in the first place because with most D.O. enthusiasts and detailers, the goal is to leave behind as much protection possible.

The Ultimate Goal (The reason most people are waxing their cars)
    The idea being to wipe the dried wax or paint sealant off the paint and then quit touching it until after the protection ingredients have fully set-up so you’ll leave the maximum amount of protection ingredients on the paint to cure or set-up.

So the Final Wipe Technique is a technique for giving your car’s paint a final, slow wipe to remove any unseen trace residue after first removing the majority of the wax so the paint looks great in any lighting condition while leaving the maximum protection ingredients on the surface.

It also provides comfort to the D.O. Enthusiasts or as they are also referred to as detailers with OCD which means, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, so they can sleep at night knowing they left the maximum amount of protection ingredients on the surface, otherwise they might not sleep or eat.

In the end, it’s personal preference, give the paint a slow, gentle final wipe using only a soft, plush microfiber polishing cloth or give the paint a final wipe using a soft, plush microfiber polishing cloth together with your favorite mist & wipe quick detailer. Just depends upon your personality and your goals.

Products Mentioned
    Mist & Wipe Quick Detailers
    Let me ask you this? After using a given wax, Is it normal to see a light film on the paint under a VERY high powered light? I mean the wax has to leave something behind right? If you polish the paint to perfection then use a panel wipe you are looking a fully clean paint. Using a wax there should be a film left from it to protect the paint right? you should be able to see this under a strong light? Am I wrong?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

Let me ask you this? After using a given wax, Is it normal to see a light film on the paint under a VERY high powered light?

Probably. That's the problem with high powered lights, they reveal things you normally would not see.

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

I mean the wax has to leave something behind right? If you polish the paint to perfection then use a panel wipe you are looking a fully clean paint.

Using a wax there should be a film left from it to protect the paint right?

you should be able to see this under a strong light? Am I wrong?

Not really. The layer you're leaving is microscopically thin. A quality wax, sealant or coating after wipe off is gong to leave clear results. Any film would be trace residues.

I'd turn the light off, put my tools away and drive the car.

Post Thanks / Like

MIke is right. Especially frustrating on pure black. I call my high power lights and stands "ugly lights". Once I pull a car inside and turn on the Ugly Lights, the real defects show and people who come to me sign up. . Haha!

Sent from my iPad using AGOnline
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing beats bright, clear, sunshine as far as being a Dream Killer goes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234