autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How safe is the California duster??

I have been using the California duster to dust my vehicles. I like to use it especially before I put QD on them. Before I joined this forum I never thought twice about it, but now I am getting so paranoid that I question whether it will scratch the surfaces. What experience have you guys and gals had with it and what are your recommendations? I also have the one with the blue threads, I don't recall the name but it is a competitor of California duster. Thanks very much!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know there is a thread on here somewhere about this. Because I learned that I did not properly prepare my california duster. I learned here that you have to wrap it in newspaper for a couple of days to get all the wax off.

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have the California duster and haven't had any problems. Use it for light dusting and works great for all that pollen in the summer! Then QD spray after that. The blue thread ones are from OXO. Just sent you a PM, dinkydow
    Alban B-)
    2008 Ford F250 XLT 6.4L PSD, 4X4, SC, SB, Bedrug bedliner, Torza Trifold Tonneau cover, SS step bars / Dark Shadow Gray Metallic
    2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S / Inferno

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using mine for about six months now and have had No Problems with it. I must admit that I only use it to remove light dust and usually QD the car after. It really works well, especially as mentioned for removing pollen during the season.

Post Thanks / Like
    California Duster is a great addition for cars with little dust. Should not be used on dirty, dirty cars. The strands of the duster are coated in paraffin wax to pickup and hold the dust. It should be allowed to sit several days on a newspaper prior to first use. Excess wax will be removed, which prevents streaking.

I have had the Oxo version (blue, more manly looking) but recently started using our microfiber duster. I find it to work quite well, as the static seems to grab the dust.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dinkydow
    I have been using the California duster to dust my vehicles. I like to use it especially before I put QD on them. Before I joined this forum I never thought twice about it, but now I am getting so paranoid that I question whether it will scratch the surfaces. What experience have you guys and gals had with it and what are your recommendations? I also have the one with the blue threads, I don't recall the name but it is a competitor of California duster. Thanks very much!

IMHO I would not use it on a black car regardless of the circumstances. Whatever is on it, I live with it, or wash it. Others disagree. Maybe it would be different if the "dust" really was just dust from the car being garaged and not taken out at all. But if it has been outside, there is always something on it besides dust/pollen.