autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4292132133134135136137138139140141142
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1420
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

Can anyone who has the gclear light post some specs about it? How long, what's the connector, and what's the make/model of the bulb? I want to use this product for my family's vehicles but the $200 curing light makes it unaffordable since they aren't paying. I don't think the UV in Philadelphia is strong enough in February to sun cure, either. I see they sell a replacement bulb for $40 but I'd still need to find a lamp to put it in.

Post Thanks / Like

You can cure in the sun, even this time of year. Best results are to do the repair and coat it inside, then put it outside after a couple minutes. I would pick a nice day... sun and at least an average high temp in the 40's... and do it mid-day when the sun is strongest. Should be cured to touch in 20-30 minutes.... let it sit facing sun all afternoon

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great, I'll try that. Still would like to hear about the bulb, at least the base. I'd rather get a generic, but I could stomach spending the $40 on a bulb if I got a cheap a handheld lamp to put it in.

Post Thanks / Like

What's the lastest and greatest hotrod?

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beren View Post
    Can anyone who has the gclear light post some specs about it? How long, what's the connector, and what's the make/model of the bulb? I want to use this product for my family's vehicles but the $200 curing light makes it unaffordable since they aren't paying. I don't think the UV in Philadelphia is strong enough in February to sun cure, either. I see they sell a replacement bulb for $40 but I'd still need to find a lamp to put it in.
    i think the sun would be fine you jsut need to keep it there a little longer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
    I like the idea of the yacht varnish. Can you mix it 50/50 with mineral spirits?
    I just checked the U.S. price on Amazon, Wow! $65.00 a can. It has to be cheaper somewhere else.
    its slightly cheaper on ebay. either way 65 isnt bad for 25 ounces and well worth it if the stuff lasts. im guessing it would be enough for around 150 cars/300 headlights. when i was using the spar i measured a teaspoon (6ml) of spar mixed some MS and it was enough for two headlights.

What i want to know if why this stuff would last any longer than the miniwax spar in the OP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cowandchikin View Post
    Get clear gloss yacht varnish . In the can the varnish looks slightly golden , however once applied and dried it is crystal clear . Usually I dilute it with mineral turpentine so its quite liquid , then I use a lint free cloth ( like you use to clean glasses ) and apply it in linear strokes across . Be sure to do long strokes from one side to the other side without stopping , apply quickly and evenly . Dont stop and over correct . Leaves a nice gloss finish that dries overnight .

***Its important it is quite liquid or it will leave pattern lines if it is too thick***
    How long do you think the yacht varnish will last on average?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I refinished my headlights using the Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear Gloss mixed with Mineral Spirits method and they turned out great. My son's headlights needed attention too so I ordered the Light Rite aerosol (aka Lenz Solution) to give it a try as I was worried about the longevity of the urethane but his lights turned out a hazy, milky color and we have the exact same headlights; His is a base model Mazda 3 while mine is a Mazdaspeed 3. The next day I sanded his lights down again and applied the urethane/mineral spirits and they turned out perfect. It took a surprisingly bit of work to sand off the Light Rite so I suspect it would last a long time but the urethane is so much easier to apply and looked so much better that if I have to re-apply it once a year or two it is worth it. I had a few lines the first time so I learned to press the folded blue scott shop towel against the inside of the mixture container to squeeze off any excess and it went on much more smoothly with no lines. Less is better.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeff79 View Post
    How long do you think the yacht varnish will last on average?
    Well I posted my idea on here a year ago and the headlight is still clear . No sign of peeling , yellowing , etc . My car is not garaged either . So I guess its doing the trick .

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaptain_zero View Post
    This varnish (as all oil based varnishes) darkens or yellows as it ages, only the new water based varnishes will remain clear after curing and aging.
    Has anyone tried a water based varnish? Seems ideal especially if it remains clear after curing and aging. Varathane makes a water based "Gloss Clear Spar Urethane." I found it at Home Depot for $15.98 for 32 oz. I guess you would cut it with water if it is too thick and cleaning up with water would certainly beat having to use mineral spirits.

My headlights were replaced recently after a destructive close encounter of the deer kind, but I am probably going to work on a friend's headlights. If so, I will update here.

Edward

Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4292132133134135136137138139140141142