autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 142 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

Quote Originally Posted by keifer75 View Post
    ok this may be a dumb question, but is the urethane only cut with the mineral spirits to make it more thin and spreadable? the reason I ask is because when I shopped for supplies I noticed the have the urethane in a spray can form. I was wondering if this would make it easier to give the headlights a more even coat of protection. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    The mineral spirits just helps to spread the urethane easier on the light, and helps to even it out as it is applied, I never end up with streaks, runs or haziness with the wipe on method. I have never tried any spray. I would think that the wipe on is quicker than the spray on, you won't have to mask much off with the wipe on or remove the lenses. I am also doing longevity tests with this wipe on method. If you were gonna spray the lenses, maybe an actual clear cote would work better, I think they are available in rattle cans. But I have never tried it before. Maybe find some junk lenses and test it out.

Post Thanks / Like

yea some junk ones would be a good test. thank you for the input

Post Thanks / Like

Longevity test- On going- 3 months after restoration

Here are some photos of the first headlight restoration that I did just over 3 months ago. They were very hazy to begin with until I did the restoration and they were restored to like new condition. Today, they still look good, there is still high gloss, no haziness, no yellowing, no cracking, no visible breaking down of the sealant. So the restoration is still holding up after the 3 month longevity test in Kansas summer weather. I will do another observation in 3 months. This car has very minimum maintenance. Also, my work van will be hitting its 3 month test, and I am sure it will have the same results. This makes me wonder, if I only put wax on the lights, and did not use the UV sealant, would they still look the same as they do now? I doubt it. But this test is not over, so anything is possible.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update hotrod! I used this technique on my work car as well however i only did one headlight with the urethane....the other one I used an actual hard coat that i received from a supplier. So I will be able to compare how the 2 hold up to each other!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BackdraftDJP View Post
    Thanks for the update hotrod! I used this technique on my work car as well however i only did one headlight with the urethane....the other one I used an actual hard coat that i received from a supplier. So I will be able to compare how the 2 hold up to each other!
    Was the hard coat method sprayed on or wiped on? Rattle can or air brushed(if sprayed)? Can you tell any difference in gloss yet? Is one of the lights glossier than the other? Keep us updated.
    Maybe someone can try this method with one headlight treated with UV Sealant urethane, and the other treated with wax or their favorite paint sealant. And see how long it lasts without reapplying any sealant protection.

Post Thanks / Like

The hard coat that I used is a liquid that you apply the same way as your technique. My sales rep told me they found it best to use a small microfiber wrapped around a foam applicator. so i did that with both the urethane and the headlight hard coat. The hard coat was really watery compared to the urethane. almost like rubbing alcohol. It also dried really fast unlike the urethane that was tacky still after 10 minutes. However I personally liked applying the urethane better since to me it went on smoother. I will post pictures in a few days when i have some time to upload them on the computer so you can compair the two!

And there will be NO maintenance on them as well. I work for the railroad so that is my work car that rarely get washed, never gets waxed and is out side all day in a rail yard with LOTS of dust and raildust flying around!

So this will be a good test of durability
    Last edited by WindyCity; 09-28-2009 at 09:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Since the weather is getting colder out, in my area atleast. I was told to turn the headlights on high beams to help dry the urethane quicker, or use a heat gun. But so far I have not needed to try this yet.

Post Thanks / Like

last post was a bout 3 mon ago... are these bad boys still holding up? i have been wondering about this for a while now.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, they are still holding up, no visible signs of deterioration. I will try and post pics of these lights next week. Its my sisters car so I will snap a few pics and post them when I see her again. We have been having pretty nasty winter weather lately. So we will see if they hold up to the road salt and the other junk they spray on the slick roads. Note: these lights have not been cleaned in 3 months. So check back next week for the update.

Post Thanks / Like

Longevity test- On going, 6 months after restoration

Here are some more recent pics of the headlight restoration I did about 6 months ago. Anyhow, the lighting sucks, so the pics are not the best. But, the headlights are still holding up with the spar urethane sealer. I live in Kansas, so we have a lot of temperature/weather changes, so in different climates the urethane may react differently. I will continue to update every three months if there is any interest.

Page 6 of 142 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast