autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How long until you remove a clear coat?

I know this has been discussed a ton but I was looking for some fresh opinions. Seeing as I just got a new polisher and am moving up from the DA, using just the SIP and Nano with no harder than orange Edge pad and no higher setting than 1800, how long would it take to remove your clear coat on your car? This would be doing two polishes a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long until you remove a clear coat?

Lot of variables. If you take care of your paint and do proper washing you may only need a milder polish like 85 RD with a white pad a couple times a year. Your cc would last as long as you own the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Lot of variables. If you take care of your paint and do proper washing you may only need a milder polish like 85 RD with a white pad a couple times a year. Your cc would last as long as you own the car.
    Would it be the same with the edge wool? Would I use the white wool pad on that?

Post Thanks / Like

What is peoples normal full detail, 2x a year, and use a finish polish like 106FF with a white pad a few times a yr? I would think if you do a big correction detail, SIP, and keep it up with a finish polish then you will have no problems.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Invest in a paint meter or go by a job that you have a high end body shop you have a good relationship with. I always meter the trunk, top and hood. I find they have most of the wear followed closely by the pilliars. Do a rough map and then you will know howmuch you have to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

Before trying to figure out how many times you can polish your paint without ruining the cc, you should be getting your wash technique down perfect.

If you get your wash technique down right you shouldn't have to polish or atleast you shouldn't have to go more agressive than a finishing polish more than once a year, if that.

Unless your leasing a car every 2-4 years you should really be concerned with prolonging the life of the CC as far as possible which means polishing it as little as possible.

One step I completely eliminated from my process is QDing. Unless its right after a wash I will not touch the paint. Even if I drive it just around the block I won't touch it until I wash it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsoto87 View Post
    Before trying to figure out how many times you can polish your paint without ruining the cc, you should be getting your wash technique down perfect.

If you get your wash technique down right you shouldn't have to polish or atleast you shouldn't have to go more agressive than a finishing polish more than once a year, if that.

Unless your leasing a car every 2-4 years you should really be concerned with prolonging the life of the CC as far as possible which means polishing it as little as possible.

One step I completely eliminated from my process is QDing. Unless its right after a wash I will not touch the paint. Even if I drive it just around the block I won't touch it until I wash it again.
    I QD every day if it's not rainning.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. I usually try to do one big detail a year and one or two other final polishes. I just didn't know if that was too much.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been driving the same 92 Ford Explorer since new. It has been polished with, at first 3M Glaze Fill & Swirl remover, then since 2000 with megs #83, 82, then waxed. At least four times a year. And I borrowed a paint gauge until I bought mine and have not detected any clear coat thinning. And both gauges measure in microns.

Post Thanks / Like

Havent touched it yet ... polishing for years.