autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New to Power Polisher/Buffers

Would the flex be something easy to learn on? I have always hand waxed and polished my vehicles, and I have never used pads. I have seen pictures of some vehicles that have undergone polishing or paint correction and they look better than new. Please advise, I do not know what polishes or tool to use in the beginning. Thanks.

-LichtS

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to Power Polisher/Buffers

Quote Originally Posted by LichtS View Post
    Would the flex be something easy to learn on? I have always hand waxed and polished my vehicles, and I have never used pads. I have seen pictures of some vehicles that have undergone polishing or paint correction and they look better than new. Please advise, I do not know what polishes or tool to use in the beginning. Thanks.

-LichtS
    Yes! I started with a Meg's G100, but then recently upgraded to the FLEX. I can say both are great tools, but the FLEX brings your correction ability to a whole new level.

It is not as dangerous as a Rotary, *but* it can cause damage if you aren't careful. Don't let that scare you though, as you can easily learn it safely with a little reading online + starting out slowly with safe pads, polishes, and speeds.

Post Thanks / Like

The Flex is still plenty safe and much more powerful than the PC. It would be my original choice now that I have the PC, UDM, and Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the replies guys, I'm still a newb at this so I appreciate it. I think my father and I are going to split the cost of a FLEX and get to work on our cars.

ONE MORE QUESTION: Are polishes just pretty preference and dependent on the color of paint, or is there a company or group of polishes that everyone seems to use? Sorry for not searching!

-LichtS

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: New to Power Polisher/Buffers

Thank you for the replies guys, I'm still a newb at this so I appreciate it. I think my father and I are going to split the cost of a FLEX and get to work on our cars.

ONE MORE QUESTION: Are polishes just pretty preference and dependent on the color of paint, or is there a company or group of polishes that everyone seems to use? Sorry for not searching!

-LichtS
    Well, like cars themselves there are always followers of particular brands, as well as brand hoppers if you will.

I have a combination of Meguiar's products for the majority of details (cheaper), as well as the Menzerna line of polishes for my $200-300+ detail jobs.

I would suggest starting out with either Meguair's #80 and #83, or the Poorboys SSR line as they are both quite popular and relatively inexpensive compared to others.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna polishes seem univerally well liked and easy to use with nice results. Others are offered, but Menzerna is the hot polish line currently.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You for the welcome and for the replies in regards to polishes and buffers guys, I'm sure I will be posting progress or other questions I might have soon.

-LichtS
    --Detroit Murder City--

Rides:
    2010 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost- Candy Red Metallic
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT- Magnetic Gray Metallic

2008 Chevrolet Corvette C6- Velocity Yellow

"The Mad Scientist" - Details Matter

Post Thanks / Like

-LichtS
    I'm in the same boat as you, totally new to machine polishing. And pretty much settled on a Flex, unless I just get a killer deal on a UDM. Either way budget won't allow right away. Good to hear these positive responses.

Post Thanks / Like

If you cannot swing the cost of the Flex, then consider Megs G110. It has more power than PC and UDM and a nice middle ground.