autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Withdrawal

I am a winter kind of guy and I love the cold weather but I also love washing and detailing my cars in my driveway. Unfortunately on a 25 degree day like today, I was not able to do my normal routine with hose and multiple wash buckets. I was able to do a rinseless in the garage and it eased my need for a detailing fix. It seems like I go through a detailing withdrawal when I am not able to a full detail due to weather, time restraints, etc. It almost seems like a type of depression, then I feel great once I am able to do a detailing session. Do you guys go through something similar? Some people consider detailing an obsession but I consider it therapy.

2. Likes cay7man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Withdrawal

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I am a winter kind of guy and I love the cold weather but I also love washing and detailing my cars in my driveway. Unfortunately on a 25 degree day like today, I was not able to do my normal routine with hose and multiple wash buckets. I was able to do a rinseless in the garage and it eased my need for a detailing fix. It seems like I go through a detailing withdrawal when I am not able to a full detail due to weather, time restraints, etc. It almost seems like a type of depression, then I feel great once I am able to do a detailing session. Do you guys go through something similar? Some people consider detailing an obsession but I consider it therapy.

Davy - yes right there with you!!! You are not alone my friend! Crazy, but I always try to find a way to detail despite the weather in NJ. This weekend we had a little light snow Friday night that melted away early Saturday. Despite the shock of neighbors passing by, I took to opportunity to do an exterior wash of the wife's Audi A4 (2 bucket wash with my power washer connected to an 8 gallon tank of warm water). Dressed the tires, cleaned the glass, spray waxed the paint and wheels, and did a thorough interior cleaning and leather conditioning. The car didn't need any paint correction, and the week prior I applied McKees 37 Hi Def Sealant to it, which BTW made washing it this time a BREEZE!!!! The small amount of salt spray on the car rinsed off very easily with mist from the power washer. It also sheeted water very impressively.

P.S. Had Grandma scheduled for a detail session today on her Ford 500 but she cancelled on me citing she needed to clean her house! I didn't tell her as much, but I was disappointed!!! I'll talk her into a wash session this week!! Wait, come to think about it, she is due for her yearly AIO session! So she'd better bring a good book over to read, she's going to be here a few hours! (LOL)

ScottH

4. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Davy - yes right there with you!!! You are not alone my friend! Crazy, but I always try to find a way to detail despite the weather in NJ. This weekend we had a little light snow Friday night that melted away early Saturday. Despite the shock of neighbors passing by, I took to opportunity to do an exterior wash of the wife's Audi A4 (2 bucket wash with my power washer connected to an 8 gallon tank of warm water). Dressed the tires, cleaned the glass, spray waxed the paint and wheels, and did a thorough interior cleaning and leather conditioning. The car didn't need any paint correction, and the week prior I applied McKees 37 Hi Def Sealant to it, which BTW made washing it this time a BREEZE!!!! The small amount of salt spray on the car rinsed off very easily with mist from the power washer. It also sheeted water very impressively.

P.S. Had Grandma scheduled for a detail session today on her Ford 500 but she cancelled on me citing she needed to clean her house! I didn't tell her as much, but I was disappointed!!! I'll talk her into a wash session this week!! Wait, come to think about it, she is due for her yearly AIO session! So she'd better bring a good book over to read, she's going to be here a few hours! (LOL)

ScottH
    Thanks for the reassurance Scott. I am a Jersey boy myself, born in Jersey City and raised in Edison. Yesterday was actually warm enough for a driveway detail but I was helping a friend move into a new apartment. That made me feel good but the salt on my car made me crazy. Today's garage session took the edge off but I was not able to do the wheel wells like I normally do.
    As far as grandma is concerned, her car should always come first. Perhaps you do a mobile session at her house.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol I went through the same thing this whole week. I would get home from work and pace around the house due to my anxiety from having 2 dirty cars. On Friday it finally made it about freezing so I ran outside and did one car before dark and finally did the other today. Always funny seeing the neighbors walk by looking at us like we are crazy for cleaning cars in the cold. I miss living in Miami this time of year.

You are definitely not alone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

7. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    Lol I went through the same thing this whole week. I would get home from work and pace around the house due to my anxiety from having 2 dirty cars. On Friday it finally made it about freezing so I ran outside and did one car before dark and finally did the other today. Always funny seeing the neighbors walk by looking at us like we are crazy for cleaning cars in the cold. I miss living in Miami this time of year.

You are definitely not alone!

Pacing around the house from anxiety? I love it! I am known in my neighborhood as the crazy guy who washes his cars in the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

The struggle is real with us. Lol

What method do you use for your rinseless washes? I recently purchased ONR Wash and Wax and have never done a rinseless wash before. I figured I'd give it a shot for when the temps really drop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    The struggle is real with us. Lol

What method do you use for your rinseless washes? I recently purchased ONR Wash and Wax and have never done a rinseless wash before. I figured I'd give it a shot for when the temps really drop.

I have been using Wolfgang Uber Rinseless with a two bucket system. One bucket has the rinseless solution and the other bucket has clean water with a grit guard. Wash and dry one panel at a time. If the grime is really bad I start with a waterless wash presoak that consists of 2/3 oz Wolfgang Uber and 32 oz of distilled water. The heaviest grime is usually on the side panels so the waterless wash removes the dirt and prevents it from getting into the rinseless solution bucket.

11. Thanks DETAILROOKIE thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Great idea with the waterless presoak!

Post Thanks / Like

To manage withdrawals I made this today...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Detailing Withdrawal-img_2906-jpg   Detailing Withdrawal-img_2904-jpg   Detailing Withdrawal-img_2908-jpg  
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Tommy that looks like some type of hose extension. I also find myself mixing solutions, washing and stacking towels, straightening out the detailing cabinet just to be a part of the process.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast