autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Some Direction

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    I dont understand your comment. Im just stating the fact that I've wanted to try it, but haven't because of mixed reviews so WB users can chime in on whether they have or have not had any damage done to their wheels. No black magic here, only the use of different products and looking for education on other products. After all that is what a forum is all about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Sarcasm sorry
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

2. Thanks r1racer thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've found that Finish Kare 1000P really helps with brake dust clean up on wheels and it holds up pretty well.

How are you sitting on microfibers? If you want to do waterless, plan on using most of budget going on microfibers and adding more regularly as your towels gets consumed by brake dust. Waterless is not the place to skimp on towel quality or trying to stretch 12 towels to do a 20 towel job. You'll also need to launder, sort, and inspect all those towels. I think over the life span of the factory brake pads you'll spend as much on towels as ceramic pads and labor.

I think waterless washing is lot more labor and time intensive than the people selling waterless products let on. There's not a lot of margin for error, if you're not committed to doing it correctly all the time, you're going to swirl your paint really fast.

At your budget, I think you'd be better off with a traditional wash until you can get ceramic pads and/or a pressure washer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    I've found that Finish Kare 1000P really helps with brake dust clean up on wheels and it holds up pretty well.

How are you sitting on microfibers? If you want to do waterless, plan on using most of budget going on microfibers and adding more regularly as your towels gets consumed by brake dust. Waterless is not the place to skimp on towel quality or trying to stretch 12 towels to do a 20 towel job. You'll also need to launder, sort, and inspect all those towels. I think over the life span of the factory brake pads you'll spend as much on towels as ceramic pads and labor.

I think waterless washing is lot more labor and time intensive than the people selling waterless products let on. There's not a lot of margin for error, if you're not committed to doing it correctly all the time, you're going to swirl your paint really fast.

At your budget, I think you'd be better off with a traditional wash until you can get ceramic pads and/or a pressure washer.
    Nice post.
    Steve
    "Boanerges"

5. Thanks r1racer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stay away from Wheel Brightener. You can only get it in gallons and it's known to be nasty stuff health wise. I don't see why anyone who's not detailing professionally would buy it.

If your wheels are nasty enough to need it (new car - I doubt it), have a detailer get them back in shape and get a safer wheel cleaner to maintain them. Even if you insist on doing it yourself, you could buy a few ounces off a detailer to do your wheels once. Just make sure if you use the product, you cover up appropriately - nitrale gloves at a minimum.

The guys who steered you to the Hydro2 type products did you a favor. You could wash off with a citrus based apc and probably seldem need a wheel cleaner. Quick and easy with great results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    Stay away from Wheel Brightener. You can only get it in gallons and it's known to be nasty stuff health wise. I don't see why anyone who's not detailing professionally would buy it.

If your wheels are nasty enough to need it (new car - I doubt it), have a detailer get them back in shape and get a safer wheel cleaner to maintain them. Even if you insist on doing it yourself, you could buy a few ounces off a detailer to do your wheels once. Just make sure if you use the product, you cover up appropriately - nitrale gloves at a minimum.

The guys who steered you to the Hydro2 type products did you a favor. You could wash off with a citrus based apc and probably seldem need a wheel cleaner. Quick and easy with great results.
    I thought he said that he was getting back into detailing thus he'd put WB to good use.
    Steve
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DogRescuer View Post
    I thought he said that he was getting back into detailing thus he'd put WB to good use.
    I got the impression from his post that he was just working on his own car.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok this is the plan...im going to go the full ceramic route on the a6 since it's the daily. For the Shelby, I'm just using the hydro blue on everything. In between trips ill foam and power wash then throw on the hydroblue and call it a day. My question is how will the hydro blue do on an already waxed surface? I really don't want to touch the paint.

BTW I detailed my girlfriends car today with a one step Ultimate Compound, DP sealant and black fire carnauba on top and man the car looks good. Makes me wonder if should stay old school.

Post Thanks / Like

Humm...full ceramic, sealant and hydro all are excellent choices. You are going to have 3 different set-ups. Ceramic on A6, sealant on girlfriends car and hydro on the Shelby.

You'll have front row seat on how these products pan out for you.

Not sure about hydro on wax---I'll let the others chime in on that.

I personally love sealant in general. Haven't tried the ceramic yet. As of today, have tried McKee's high def sealant, Blackfire sealant and Rupes P808.
    Blackfire and McKee's are about the same. P808 is few notches down ladder--I think. It doesn't last as long as the other two. But in defense for the P808, it is a spray on and wipe off. That makes it easy but easy equates short time.

All are great stuff. Believe I'll go with McKees, a very close 2nd---Blackfire and lastly P808. Who knows---I'll probably change my mind next week! Grin...

You are of to a good start!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Speed master brush!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

12. Likes DogRescuer liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r1racer View Post
    Ok this is the plan...im going to go the full ceramic route on the a6 since it's the daily. For the Shelby, I'm just using the hydro blue on everything. In between trips ill foam and power wash then throw on the hydroblue and call it a day. My question is how will the hydro blue do on an already waxed surface? I really don't want to touch the paint.
    I don't have any experience with hydro blue. I don't think that my cars get clean enough for a sealant/wax/coating with just a pressure washer. I don't use a foam cannon often, but even when I do there is always some film and grime left on the car. You can always get some white microfiber gloves or towels and do some spot checks after you pressure wash.

Foam cannon, pressure wash, blow dry, and blot up any leftover spots, will still get your car clean enough and have minimal paint contact. If you're garaging the car, a full wash every 5-7 times out will be plenty. That's if you can live with that.

14. Likes DogRescuer liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234