autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: UPDATE: New Falkens and heavy snow

I too prefer RWD in snow and I have been using the all season General Altimax RT-43 for a couple years (on my Saturn...not RWD) and LOVE them considering I dont need 2 sets of wheels and dedicated snow tires. They arent as good as snows but they are really good.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post
    This winter is the first since 2000 that I haven't had AWD with snow tires. I still have the snow tires, but switched to a RWD car (BMW). I've been out in the snow twice with it now, and I agree that RWD is much easier to manage than FWD in slippery conditions. My rear end would slide out just slightly when I'd accelerate in turns, but I could quickly and confidently correct without much effort. If it was a FWD car, I'd just end up understeering all the time with a lot less control over steering.

Coincidentally, I was just talking to a coworker about the huge value of snow tires (at least here in WI). I'd never give those up.
    Amen to that. Now that I’ve driven on winter tires I’ll never go back to all seasons in the winter.
    2017 Phantom Black Metallic Chevy SS, automatic, skylight, plus unused wheel in the boot.

3. Likes derass liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    We had our first real snowfall two days ago, about 4" which means that the streets were snow covered (packed) and slushy in some areas from the salt. It was still coming down heavy and traffic was terrible, it took me over two hours to make a 45 minute drive home. Speeds averaged 20 mph with the occasional 30 mph sprint.

My new Falken ZE950's drove like champs and having a manual, I was able to keep the engine between 2,000 and 3,000 rpms. The results? My [back]-end only skipped out once in 40 miles, maybe three inches, less than it would with a power shift into 2nd gear. Even changing lanes was no issue.

Then yesterday on the way to work, I had to drive through my unplowed street (4") and then after stopping at the main road, make an uphill, right turn onto the unplowed main road. The traction control light was flashing like crazy, but I still was able to make it up the hill without any drama - no fish tailing, nothing. The highway was covered in slush and packed snow in between the tire grooves and I was still able to do 40 mph (held up by traffic) with absolutely no issues.

I know that straight winter tires are supposed to be the bomb, but I was really impressed with the Falkens and happy with my choice.
    I just got cooper srx's and they are riding well. This is going to be a chit winter. Last year I only missed 1 weekend of washing my car the entire winter because of below freezing temperatures. This year I've already missed two and its not even January yet

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I have to daily drive my challenger. I put 4 snow tires on. Our winters are pretty mild but I don't have much experience in a rwd car. If I got stopped on a hill with all the torque this car has I'd have a difficult time getting going. Now I'm a truck driver but never owned a rwd car. Driving a big truck in the snow is way different than a car. Everything is in slow motion in the truck

Sent from my SM-G900P using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with what you guys are saying about FWD vs. RWD - technically it's correct and applies to people who know how to drive, understand the physics of cornering, and realize the two drive differently.

The issue is that most people are cluless (in my experience). Consider low traction (ice or snow without winter tires): what happens with FWD vs. RWD when somebody over-accelerates? The FWD spins wheels (or wheel). The RWD ends up fishtailing into another lane with the driver having no idea what happened. Most people in RWD and low traction are a menace to the rest of us.

Consider that I live in a place where people routinely abandon their cars when it snows. This sounds crazy, and it is. People just leave their car on the freeway and walk away. You're probably envisioning them pulled over to emergency lane in an orderly manner. Not so. Literally just left all over the freeway in every lane. It's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen.

I first visited Portland in the early 90s. Had a rental and woke up to ~10" of snow. Had to head to the airport. As I drove I kept passing abandoned cars all over the freeway and could not figure it out. Am I not supposed to be driving? Was there some sort of disaster overnight? Is was the strangest thing I'd ever seen. Consider that I was living in Colorado at the time. Since moving here I now expect it.

My preference is AWD. Have driven these for most of the last 25 years.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

7. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frankprozzoly View Post
    Unfortunately I have to daily drive my challenger. I put 4 snow tires on. Our winters are pretty mild but I don't have much experience in a rwd car. If I got stopped on a hill with all the torque this car has I'd have a difficult time getting going. Now I'm a truck driver but never owned a rwd car. Driving a big truck in the snow is way different than a car. Everything is in slow motion in the truck
    ^^ does the vehicle allow you to do a 2nd gear start? Is there a "snow" mode in the programing of the performance? Most that have that will retard power and default to a 2nd gear start.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    My preference is AWD. Have driven these for most of the last 25 years.
    ^^ this.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I can put in auto and pull out in 2nd. We rarely get a good snow around here anymore so I haven't had an issue. Theres alot of hills here unlike say Chicago or nyc where the city is flat so a light coating can be more of a pain than a few inches

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frankprozzoly View Post
    We rarely get a good snow around here anymore so I haven't had an issue.

Remember early 2010--2 feet. Nothing significant since then--I think we're do for a big one!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post

Consider that I live in a place where people routinely abandon their cars when it snows. This sounds crazy, and it is. People just leave their car on the freeway and walk away. You're probably envisioning them pulled over to emergency lane in an orderly manner. Not so. Literally just left all over the freeway in every lane. It's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen.

My son learned to drive in New Hampshire so he knows how to handle the snow and ice, but when he moved to Portland he stopped driving when it snows. I asked him why because he had always been a good winter driver and he said he hadn't lost his winter skills at all, but almost no one else in Portland knows how to drive in even an inch of snow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    ^^ does the vehicle allow you to do a 2nd gear start? Is there a "snow" mode in the programing of the performance? Most that have that will retard power and default to a 2nd gear start.
    "ECO" mode often has a similar effect, though it isn't designed for the purpose. Rather than starting in second gear like a snow mode would, it mutes throttle response, lowers shift points, and slows the shifts. All of which make for easier driving in slick conditions. I'm not sure if FCA vehicles even have that option.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

13. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast