autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: For you cold weather guys Last

Coin Op spray wash in the Winter. Looks don't matter. Sealant will protect it till Spring. It's a car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunday joe View Post
    Coin Op spray wash in the Winter. Looks don't matter. Sealant will protect it till Spring. It's a car.
    Don't those bays freeze?
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DogRescuer View Post
    Don't those bays freeze?
    Sure but the good ones keep them salted, or you could bring your own salt to be safe. I walk flat footed when I'm in there and watch where I'm walking, I have to, was born with OI.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

4. Likes DogRescuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    50 hah!

I roll up the sleeves on my sweatshirt at 50 degrees

You get used to cold weather. When I wash in the mid-high 30’s, I wear a medium weight fleece, stocking hat, and light weight rubber/water resistant insulated boots. No gloves and the most important factor is warm/hot water in my buckets. I definitely work faster in the winter. It sucks but beats paying $10-12 for the inferior touchless wash.

BTW, I’m not a mobile detailer. Just a guy with way too many detailing products and just enough knowledge to be very dangerous
    HA! 50 degrees. I guess its all relative, eh? I'm in WI too so I'm in shorts in 50 degree weather. I use hot water and work fast when it's real cold. In deep winter, I will actually wait until the temps are under 30 so the roads aren't so sloppy and the car stays clean for more than 5 seconds.

6. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunday joe View Post
    The OP was asking how mobile detailers continue their business in the cold. Coin op wont work.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no professional detailer, but I am used to washing cars in cold weather (under 40). Honestly, I prefer washing cars in this kind of weather because soapy water doesn't seem to dry on car's surfaces as quickly as it would in warmer weather. So I tend to wash car much quicker in colder weather. I normally wash a panel or two and rinse it off, but in winter there are only 4 major "panels" to take care of.

I only wear sweat pants and sweat shirt. No gloves. Wearing any type of gloves makes my hands feel detached from the car's surface.

One major issue I've had when washing cars in winter is that water sometimes freezes on the car's surface.... Sometimes water freezes at temp above 35 while other times water doesn't freeze at temp under 30.

Post Thanks / Like

Got me a set of these to use when it's cold. And will use a thin cotton gloves in them.

For you cold weather guys Last-dsc_5190-jpg

For how I dress when it's cold I use a synthetic underbody pants. Found in the sports stores running departement and there you find a synthetic t-shirt or longsleeve shirt. Have this closest to your body to leading the moisture from it and keep you dry. The second layer of clothes I want something that holds the moisture and that's cotton sweatshirt and cotton sweatpants. Then I have a warm jacket that has windstopper and waterproof function. Often are this jackets since the windstopper hiding the zipper very well. If you needs warmer pants look for hunters clothes with windstopper and waterproof function. On the head there is hats with windstopper function also. The feet I use lined boots with Goretex material. And socks the first pair a thin synthetic sock and the second pair of wool socks. This holds me warm and dry and function well.

Just my 2 cents

10. Thanks DogRescuer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not a mobile detailer or a professional but I wash cars all year round here in Massachusetts. As long as it is 30 degrees and sunny, I will do a hose and bucket wash in the driveway. I use hot wash water and Glacier Glove ice fishing gloves. I need to be able to move so I wear a sweatshirt with no jacket but my feet have to stay warm and dry so I wear hunting boots. Make sure you keep the hose reel in the garage until you are ready to use it.
    I have done driveway washes in colder weather, 20 degrees to be exact. You have to keep turning the car toward the sun. The water will ice up on the shady side of the car and driveway. I slipped and fell flat on my back.

Post Thanks / Like

911: what is your emergency?
    You:Help I fell washing my cars and I cant get up.
    911: Sorry sir the roads are not passable until the plows clear them.
    You: Please hurry I am going to get water spots.

13. Likes Hoosiers, JKDesign, UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I am not a mobile detailer or a professional but I wash cars all year round here in Massachusetts. As long as it is 30 degrees and sunny, I will do a hose and bucket wash in the driveway. I use hot wash water and Glacier Glove ice fishing gloves. I need to be able to move so I wear a sweatshirt with no jacket but my feet have to stay warm and dry so I wear hunting boots. Make sure you keep the hose reel in the garage until you are ready to use it.
    I have done driveway washes in colder weather, 20 degrees to be exact. You have to keep turning the car toward the sun. The water will ice up on the shady side of the car and driveway. I slipped and fell flat on my back.
    Man be careful, but aren't you risking cracking the glass with hot water or am I totally wrong?
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast