Hello everyone.

New member, James Weaver, from Houston. 61 year old retired fart.

Long time "car guy", but new to this level of detailing. A DIY'r, not a pro, just doing my cars.

I've been a hand wash, wax, polish guy. Been a big fan of Girot's products for many years. I typically use Best of Show wax after washing and claying.

I'm the guy that removes his wheels twice a year to clean and wax the rims.... Much to the entertainment of the neighbors..!!

Current stable:
2004 BMW X3 2.5i Alpine White, Terra Cotta/Montana Leather
2005 Mercedes SLK 350 (6 Spd Manual) Mars Red, Black Leather

My only "power" detailing tool was a "Waxmaster 900" random orbital. Haven't used it in years. Never thought it did very well.

Have been hesitant to venture into paint correction with power before. But, I tackle stuff nowadays that I would have never done before the internet and YouTube. I grew up on Chilton Manuals. Watching someone else remove an intake manifold on a Mercedes gave me the confidence to do it easily. I look at this process kinda the same way. Watching, studying, making a plan, taking my time.

So, to any "normal" person my cars look fabulous. Too bad I'm not "normal"

The SLK has fine scratches, swirls and few blemishes. Mainly trunk & hood.
The X3 is white and while it has some imperfections, they are not nearly as visible as the Red MB.

I tracked down a 6" DA Polisher @ Harbor Freight. Model 69924. Come to find out there are several model number sold for this polisher at HF. This model is the one that can be modded to change switch position. I did the switch and changed the grease as soon as I got it home yesterday. I ran it for about 30 secs before starting the mods just to make sure it worked. When I opened it to change the grease, it was weird, the grease came out in virtually one piece. Glad I upgraded it to Mobil 1 synthetic.

Here is what I got at AutoGeek (should be here Fri 12/8)

Going with Lake Country pads and their backing plate 6.5". (2)Pink, (1 each) Orange, White, Black, Red
Sticking with Girot's for product. Correcting Cream, Perfecting Cream, Finishing Cream.
Bought all new microfiber towels.

Will try and get some before/after and test spot pics posted.

Sorry about a long intro. Look forward to learning more from you guys.