autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Help Classify This Paint Failure Issue

I’ve seen paint like that. My neighbor parked his car under a sapling olive tree every day for years. Add the fact he never washed or waxed it and add the Arizona sun. That is identical to his car.

Looks like it’s off to the body shop.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Classify This Paint Failure Issue

Didnt some of you foos read the original post? It was like the 3rd thing he said that it was the ORIGINAL OWNER.
    2003 Camry
    Factory paint
    Original owner
    Always garaged until 2013
    This maroon beauty was brought to me for interior service.

My guess would be what we used to see alot on Hondas in the early 90s called "crows feet" but these would be more like Pterodactyl Feet!!! Geesh
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the remnants of a botched clear bra removal, i.e. solvents and scrapping, except I would have expected the line across the hood to be better defined.

Post Thanks / Like

The paint on mine failed in a similar fashion. Went from perfect condition to light fading, developing longer light cracking which are mistaken as swirls. This lighter cracking can develop into to larger severe fracturing and lifting, some areas of crows feet.

Before:

Mine was a respray, but I wouldn't be surprised to find this kind of failure on cars where the clear is sprayed too thin from the factory. I see many Toyota's around that year that have fully rusted out horizontal panels from sun damage here in Florida.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    The paint on mine failed in a similar fashion. Went from perfect condition to light fading, developing longer light cracking which are mistaken as swirls. This lighter cracking can develop into to larger severe fracturing and lifting, some areas of crows feet.

Before:

Mine was a respray, but I wouldn't be surprised to find this kind of failure on cars where the clear is sprayed too thin from the factory. I see many Toyota's around that year that have fully rusted out horizontal panels from sun damage here in Florida.
    Ding, ding, ding! we have a winner! Well, sorta....
    We still don't know exactly what the underlying cause of the failure is. It would be nice to find out what the recipe is for this exact kind of failure. Judging by the low number of replies by those who have actually seen this situation, I'm guessing it doesn't happen very often and there has to be very specific criteria in place for it to happen. i'm going to stop by a body shop and show these pics to one of the techs and see if they can 'splain it to me like I'm a four-year-old and I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    My guess would be what we used to see alot on Hondas in the early 90s called "crows feet" but these would be more like Pterodactyl Feet!!! Geesh
    LMAO! That was funny!

Post Thanks / Like

Help Classify This Paint Failure Issue

Looks like either total paint system failure due to shrinking/shriveling or kind of looks like the effect of a chemical stripper honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12