autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bugs Bugs Bugs

Post Thanks / Like

Bugs Bugs Bugs

I went out yesterday and washed the car, nothing special but i did just get a foam sprayer online and had to try it out !
    After washing and drying I noticed the front of the car is still completely covered in highway bugs. I have to admit that I have been very bad about not washing lately and neglected this car so I am trying to get it back in shape and get a routine going. Either way, what can i do to help get these bugs off. My sponge has one side microfiber and one side a mesh like backing. I used that backing but it didn't scrape it off, is there something that will dissolve them of sorts ? I will be using a clay bar next month when I get my new DA polisher but i feel like i need something to use more often as i am on the highway a lot.
    Bugs Bugs Bugs-g1-jpgBugs Bugs Bugs-g2-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bugs Bugs Bugs

I think once you clay your car, you'll notice some big differences. There are tons of different products... (https://autogeek.commerce-search.net...nd+tar+remover) so, check some of those out. I'm sure the pro's know best, but, it's a start.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Inthedeck View Post
    There are tons of different products...
    haha that's exactly the problem. I have used Turtle Wax bug remover, RainX had a spray on bug and tar remover, and I got some foam can once.. all did nothing for me. Maybe i was doing it wrong, wrong pad, not enough wait time, etc. i don't know. Is there a preference in a liquid spray vs a foam spray remover? I just haven't found one that works on any of my vehicles, which is why i have so many ornaments on my front grill !

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning. Tarminator is pretty good stuff. I let it dwell a bit then use the bug sponge found here on AGO or the back side of the sponge you mentioned. The sponge sold here will be hard until you use WARM water to soften it. After that, bugs stand no change. Patience. Side to side movements. If you're polishing anyway, the if it scratches you can get them out later (try not to scratch... lol). I've tried thick removers and thin and while the thicker may 'stay on the bumper longer', it probably doesn't really matter. Check out that sponge, it's really quite unique...

overall, if you wait for some of these great pros that are on the forum, they will point you in a good direction!

http://www.autogeek.net/bug-sponge-for-cars.html

peace

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

I've found bug removal almost always takes more work than a normal wash. Even with fairly fresh splatters on a coated car.

I like to use these: McKee's 37 Bug Scrubber Sponge.

I simply toss one in the wash bucket to soften and use them as needed on spots which don't come clean with my wash mitt. In the Spring and Summer months, I use one every time I wash the car.

I also pre-soak the buggy areas like the lower hood line, front facia, and side mirror caps with Poorboy's Bug Squash. It does a great job when it comes to bug removal.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Try this, though, I can't say I've ever used it...but, from the reviews, sounds like a solid product to try. https://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-bug-squash.html

7. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Inthedeck View Post
    Try this, though, I can't say I've ever used it...but, from the reviews, sounds like a solid product to try. https://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-bug-squash.html
    This is a great product, I just re-stocked on the Cyber Monday Sale:

https://www.autogeek.net/pobugsq32oz.html

And this is my favorite bug sponge of all the ones I've used in the past, it's very durable and does not mar the surface.

https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-insect-sponge.html
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Second on the Sonax bug sponge. I get a lot of use out of it in addition to bugs.

Bug Squash is the only bug remover I've used. It works well. Not too many bugs in SoCal. So, I usually just use P21S Total Auto Wash @ 30:1 to take them off.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for PoorBoys Bug Squash. That and a bug sponge does the trick for me on stubborn customer bumpers covered in old bug guts.

11. Thanks DogRescuer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just my 2 cents. Before every wash if front end needs work due to bugs. Using Megs SD and as stated a bug sponge and good old elbow grease and rinse A LOT wala good bye bugs. Clean license plate while I'm there.
    Steve
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast