autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Aquapel, What did I do wrong?

Put this on about 2 wks ago. I first washed the car, then buffed the windshield with Pinnacle Glasswork Waterspot Remover, using a Lake Country CCS orange pad on a Porter Cable. Next I cleaned the glass with Sprayaway on a waffle weave towel, followed by a buff with a 2nd waffle weave. Then, I applied the Aquapel, following instructions as best I could: crosshatch pattern with the applicator, worked quickly, and buffed 2x with a paper towel.

The windshield looked perfect. It does bead, but it streaks. When I hit the wipers a gray film of fine beads appears then melts away. Here is a picture of it. Actually this is morning frost, but it looks just the same. I can't get the wiper film to show up on camera.

Is this a common problem? Can I fix it? How do I avoid this in the future?

Thanks,
    Rich

Aquapel, What did I do wrong?-20171117_063840-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aquapel, What did I do wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by suttonri View Post
    Put this on about 2 wks ago. I first washed the car, then buffed the windshield with Pinnacle Glasswork Waterspot Remover, using a Lake Country CCS orange pad on a Porter Cable. Next I cleaned the glass with Sprayaway on a waffle weave towel, followed by a buff with a 2nd waffle weave. Then, I applied the Aquapel, following instructions as best I could: crosshatch pattern with the applicator, worked quickly, and buffed 2x with a paper towel.

The windshield looked perfect. It does bead, but it streaks. When I hit the wipers a gray film of fine beads appears then melts away. Here is a picture of it. Actually this is morning frost, but it looks just the same. I can't get the wiper film to show up on camera.

Is this a common problem? Can I fix it? How do I avoid this in the future?

Thanks,
    Rich

Aquapel, What did I do wrong?-20171117_063840-jpg
    I dont know what causes that ... but if you think thats bad try cleaning it with a microfiber and glass cleaner. I have been trying to get mine looking good for months. I have tried APC and stuff to get rid of it .. it's not working.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it ammonia in the sprayaway cleaner? Or maybe in the pinnacle waterspot remover that you did not get all cleaned? Aquapel don't like that and it's some chemical reaction happens and doesnt bond to the glass as it would. Sometimes when you have ammonia residue left and apply aquapel you can see it out gas from the glass like a light steam. Aquapel has wipes that you can use as prep and works for remove it also. Or the not bonded aquapel I think. Maybe you can use a neat 91% ipa just be carefull and spray it on the towel and wipe it on. So you don't get it on your paint or trim around the windshield. Then let it breath for a while before you apply it again. You can test to spray water and windshield fluid to use the wipers and see if it solves it. Then again if it's fine an ipa wipe let it breath a while and apply if you have more.
    Have you got your wiperblades squeeqe clean or if they are old had them replaced? The surfes gets a different tenstion and the gunk will smear to the windshield if not really cleaned.

Post Thanks / Like

Sprayaway is ethanol, it was used to make sure the Pinnacle polish was all gone. I did not see any steam from the Aquapel. The wipers are about 11 mo old, I'll have a look at them.

Thanks!
    Rich

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had wipers cause a lot of streaking issues on treated windows before. Try cleaning those and see if it persists. I suggest using a towel you don't care about as much as it may be stained up pretty badly after cleaning them. I usually clean the wipers off every time I wash a window or wash the car. They get surprisingly dirty in comparison to the rest of the car if you're using them often.

7. Thanks Elger thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If your wiper blades are 11 months old on a daily driver, they should be replaced. Clean the new blades with isopropyl alcohol after installation.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem. Replacing the wipers that were old did wonders. I still have some streaking. However I suspect it is because of the Rain ex type of washer fluid I still have in the washer fluid tank. I am hoping that it will get better when I switch to regular washer fluid.

Post Thanks / Like

Any wiper blades you guys like, or just whatever they got at the parts store?

Post Thanks / Like

I use Anco Contours.

Post Thanks / Like

I have installed Aquapel a lot in the past few years. Only 1 client ever complained about it. He said the product went cloudy and he had to remove it. My guess is the applicator was bad, somehow. I have used Aquapel on my own vehicules and never had an issue either.

I don't buff the windshield before application. I usually apply Aquapel after and exterior detail so my application method is as follow:

1. Wash the car about 3 times (Pressure wash, foambath, traditionnal 2 bucket wash). Rinse and dry.
    2. Clean the windshield twice with glass cleaner.
    3. Apply Aquapel (cross hatch pattern, single application)
    4. Wipe down with a dry Microfiber towel using the side that is flat.
    5. Buff the windshield with a second microfiber towel, again using the side that is flat.
    You have to insure the is no product excess on the windshield when you are done. You should see no more streaking anywhere as you buff.

I know they recommend using paper towels but in my experience those work very poorly. Your experience may of course vary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast