autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKees 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant

thanks for the advice. I do have spray wax. I've got BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Carnauba Spray Wax & Prima Hydro Wax As You Dry Spray 16. I have tried using them in the past & didn't like working with either one. I don't think it's the products. it must be my technique, but I'll try it again. thanks,
    hmardown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hmardown View Post
    pilotpip
    let me throw this out there. and by the way, I'm trying to avoid removing to much clear coat. my truck is black & I can't keep chasing down every swirl mark or light scratch(and you know there's many). how about claying then using my rupes white pad with ultra fine compound & then using McKee's Hi-Def sealant ? I don't need to remove every swirl, but I'll probably remove quite a few. and then using the hi-def sealant should mask a few. what's your opinion on this plan of attack ? the dodge ram paint is soft & not hard to remove swirl marks. I just think I'm doing to much correcting & worried about the clear coat getting on the thin side. I'd probably use the white pad for the sealant to. I read somewhere that the rupes white pad & ultra fine compound is pretty safe to use. thanks,
    hmardown
    Sounds good. I think you have less to worry about using a polish or AIO than you think in regards to clear coat. Take your time, and do a test spot to see if you get the results you like. Like I said, 360 is a great product with a good mix of durable protection and light correction. It was the first thing I used with my PC, and I keep going back to it because I like the end result and ease of use. My routine is to use 360 with an LC orange or white thin pro pad (dependent on how the panel looks) in the spring. Regular 2 bucket washes, and McKee's fast wax as a drying aid through the summer. If the weather is nice, or I feel like making it look really good I'll throw a coat of DP Max wax on it, but Fast wax is almost as good. Today I got it ready for winter with a quick wash, clay, and a coat of Hi-Def. It lives outside and will get an occasional rinseless if not too dirty or 2 bucket if the weather cooperates.

My wife's explorer is black metallic. We bought it used and the paint was pretty badly swirled. I tried using blackfire's total polish and seal, then 360 and didn't get it where I wanted it. It will need to be 2 or three stepped to get it looking good. Once that's done, I'll put it on the the same rotation as the truck. Finding the time with two young kids is my biggest challenge which is why I like AIOs so much. I can do both vehicles in a weekend with AIO.

One last thing, in regards to the post above this one. So far you've mentioned about 4 or 5 different brands. All are good, but stick to just one as you start. Most product lines are designed to work together. Some items from different brands, do not. It's not fun to put the time and effort in and not be happy with the results as I found out last January.https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-together.html

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Forum Members,

In my original post I indicated "...However, I am very interested in it's durability as that is a very important characteristic of a sealant IMHO. As such, I will be applying it to a friend's car within a week or two. This is a car that gets washed once a year (no kidding) and never garaged making it the PERFECT candidate for a durability test. The last time the test subject was washed was Christmas week 2016 at my house. Since I work with this friend I will get to monitor the durability over time as I see the car almost every day."

So I got around to this friend's car yesterday after shoveling some snow (hate snow!). This is a 2007 Volvo and it is, literally washed once a year. My friend took it to the swirl tunnel to save me some effort. I clayed the car and then proceeded with a compounding (GG6, Meguire's UC and orange LC ThinPro's). The car corrected and finished very nicely - all things considered - and felt very smooth; ready for Hi Def. I applied it in approx. 40 degree weather and let it sit for approx. 1 hour as sunlight wouldn't prevent any longer curing time. As mentioned in the original post, it wipes off so effortlessly you feel guilty. The resulting slickness is very impressive as is the shine. To end the day, my friend uttered "until next year". I asked him what he meant and he said "well now I don't have to wash it for another year.". I laughed and cried at the same time! He is thrilled that his car looks so much better - all free of charge.

So now it's time to sit back and observe. I see the car several times per week at work, so it won't be hard to do. I'll report back over time on this real-world torture test.

ScottH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails McKees 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant-img_4648-jpg   McKees 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant-img_4649-jpg   McKees 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant-img_4650-jpg   McKees 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant-img_4651-jpg  

4. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Forum Members,

I wanted to update on the performance of McKees 37 Hi Def Sealant. I applied it to my wife's car in preparation for winter. That was a few weeks ago, and low and behold my attempt to keep my wife and her A4 off the salted streets in NJ yesterday failed. She came home with it covered in salt. Why couldn't she walk to the store? It was only a mile away? LOL. I even offered to go for her.

So today despite the 12 degrees temps, I powered washed it with warm water and no soap. There was no way I was leaving salt on it for any appreciable time. Result: I was AMAZED at how easily the dried salt came off the paint. Absolutely amazed! Without any foam or soap, the salt just flew off the paint and the water beaded up like crazy. I then pulled the car into our garage to prevent freezing (garages now heated with 240v Cadet 4000). The heater is able to bring the garage up 30 degrees more than the outside temps. So in this case the garage was a little over 40.

I then did a McKees rinseless wash now that the vast majority of the salt was off. The car was a breeze to clean and felt surprisingly slick considering. Topped it off with Pinnacle Crystal Mist and headed inside.

Temps are expected to remain between 5-15 this coming week with moderation 7-8 days from now. I would normally use that warming cycle to apply an LSP again for good measure but to be honest, it won't be necessary. I am sure another wash is all it will need.

Very impressed thus far with Hi Def Sealant and it could conceivably be one of the few products whose durability claims match real world.

Happy New Year AG friends,
    ScottH

ScottH

6. Thanks mwoywod, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Dear Forum Members,

I wanted to update on the performance of McKees 37 Hi Def Sealant. I applied it to my wife's car in preparation for winter. That was a few weeks ago, and low and behold my attempt to keep my wife and her A4 off the salted streets in NJ yesterday failed. She came home with it covered in salt. Why couldn't she walk to the store? It was only a mile away? LOL. I even offered to go for her.

So today despite the 12 degrees temps, I powered washed it with warm water and no soap. There was no way I was leaving salt on it for any appreciable time. Result: I was AMAZED at how easily the dried salt came off the paint. Absolutely amazed! Without any foam or soap, the salt just flew off the paint and the water beaded up like crazy. I then pulled the car into our garage to prevent freezing (garages now heated with 240v Cadet 4000). The heater is able to bring the garage up 30 degrees more than the outside temps. So in this case the garage was a little over 40.

I then did a McKees rinseless wash now that the vast majority of the salt was off. The car was a breeze to clean and felt surprisingly slick considering. Topped it off with Pinnacle Crystal Mist and headed inside.

Temps are expected to remain between 5-15 this coming week with moderation 7-8 days from now. I would normally use that warming cycle to apply an LSP again for good measure but to be honest, it won't be necessary. I am sure another wash is all it will need.

Very impressed thus far with Hi Def Sealant and it could conceivably be one of the few products whose durability claims match real world.

Happy New Year AG friends,
    ScottH

ScottH
    That's great to hear man, keep us updated

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

8. Thanks Kmarth thanked for this post
    Likes ScottH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use HI Def paint sealant when I know the person will not be maintaining their car properly. That way next time I need to do their car, I'm not too worried about the condition of the paint. Quick finishing polish and then reapply the sealant, it's really great stuff.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

10. Likes ScottH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Scott...have you considered using a McKee's Spray, or is it just that you have the Pinnacle Crystal Mist on hand, or is it superior in your view?

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone give a comparison between this and WG DGPS? Sounds like this is a little easier to remove and should be just as durable, but mostly I wonder about how it looks. DGPS has the typical sealant reflective shine. Does this have more of a carnauba glow?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post
    Can anyone give a comparison between this and WG DGPS? Sounds like this is a little easier to remove and should be just as durable, but mostly I wonder about how it looks. DGPS has the typical sealant reflective shine. Does this have more of a carnauba glow?
    M37 Hi Def Paint Sealant is super easy to use. Removal is effortless. I did this classic with it a few months ago. I haven't used WGDGPS for a couple years but I'm confident you'd like the M37.

2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

14. Likes jdne5b, AKT, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    Hey Scott...have you considered using a McKee's Spray, or is it just that you have the Pinnacle Crystal Mist on hand, or is it superior in your view?
    Hi. Great question. Yes this was a case of having Pinnacle Crystal Mist on hand and wanting to use it up. Had it for about a year and like to rotate products so they don't get too old. Crystal Mist is in my opinion one of the finest spray detailers available, so I considered it a great topper after the rinseless wash described above to the extend Hi Def. I also have McKees 37 Fast Wax and PoliCoat wax which I will use as soon as the Crystal Mist is used up.

Happy 2018 to you,
    ScottH

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast