autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinions on "paying dues"?

I was in the same boat as you, pricing low to start out. Make sure you account products into the time it takes you to detail the car as well since you're not only just using time. People will pay the price as long you can back it up with your work and if you think your prices are low then you're probably doing a great job with your work.

Post Thanks / Like

I did my first customer yesterday. In the end, even with a $10 dollar tip, I was only at $18/hr before taking into account the products I used. He was excited and satisfied by the work, but I need to start raising my prices because I'm not willing to cut corners or do work that isn't my best just to have a more "efficient" use of my time. Is there a good thread anybody recommends regarding marketing?

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it comes down to "what's YOUR time worth to YOU?"

I do paint correction on the side. And I'm too busy with "regular life" that I have a few jobs pending. Those people don't mind waiting for me (one waited a bit over a year for me to do his dad's Porsche). And if they can't wait, that's fine, too.

These days, my time is more valuable TO ME, that I'm charging a bit more than I did a year ago. Some people will pay, some will look elsewhere. That's perfectly fine by me.

4. Likes Nabors liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is my opinion..... what you really need to worry about is experience. All staircases start at the bottom. Steps are taken to get to the top. Get some vehicles and experience under your belt while making a few extra bucks. Then as you client base and and skill set begin to increase, gradually move your prices to where your feel your are making money while providing a good service. Every customer wants something different. Keep yourself versatile. In my opinion a true detailer isn’t the guy who does a 3 step polishing job on Bugattis all week, it’s the person who can handle anything from a Yugo to a super car and and deliver what the customer wants comfortably!
    Jim

6. Likes rangerbay, Nabors, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Here is my opinion..... what you really need to worry about is experience. All staircases start at the bottom. Steps are taken to get to the top. Get some vehicles and experience under your belt while making a few extra bucks. Then as you client base and and skill set begin to increase, gradually move your prices to where your feel your are making money while providing a good service. Every customer wants something different. Keep yourself versatile. In my opinion a true detailer isn’t the guy who does a 3 step polishing job on Bugattis all week, it’s the person who can handle anything from a Yugo to a super car and and deliver what the customer wants comfortably!
    I've had 3 more customers since my last post and have made the effort to worry about getting experience. I did, however, have to tell somebody no who came up to me while I was working on another customer. I gave him my name and number and he called me the next day wanting me in to do 3 auction cars the same day.

Being in school full time and wanting to focus more on personal cars (I have done the dealership detailing thing), I respectfully suggested other detailers that could keep up with his demand. Is this the best way to go about saying no?

I have at least 3 more customers this week from referrals and I should be getting my cards in within a couple weeks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12