autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please Recommend a Coating

[QUOTE=Klasse Act;1534764]Welcome to the forum!
    Taking it a step further, IMO the Ech2o is better for doing RW but still does great in WW form,

Never tried Ech20 as a RW, but if it works as well as you say, you would think Car Pro would put that on their label.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Rsurfer;1534785]
    Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    Taking it a step further, IMO the Ech2o is better for doing RW but still does great in WW form,

Never tried Ech20 as a RW, but if it works as well as you say, you would think Car Pro would put that on their label.
    Yeah someone brought this up to them, forgot how they contacted them but it was confirmed by them for use as a RW. If you try it this way you'll be blown away, trust mePlease Recommend a Coating

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Klasse Act;1534786]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Yeah someone brought this up to them, forgot how they contacted them but it was confirmed by them for use as a RW. If you try it this way you'll be blown away, trust mePlease Recommend a Coating

What's the mix ratio for a RW?

Post Thanks / Like

Please Recommend a Coating

In California probably do carpro cquartz with echo2 as my waterless. If you live in SoCal where rain is uncommon probably would rarely need a reset wash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Rsurfer;1534789]

What's the mix ratio for a RW?
    I do 2 ounces for 3.5 gallons of water, it's all I need to wash my little car when doing an Ech2o RW, love that stuff.Please Recommend a Coating

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Roger here. ECH2O is really a nice rinseless wash, and it leaves a bit of SiO2 protection as well.

For the OP, I agree that McKee's coating will probably be a very easy first coating. I've never used it, but I've used Pinnacle Black Label, and it is more or less the same type of coating and applied in the same way. It's very hard to mess up with spray coatings like McKee's or PBL.

Another good one distributed by PBMC is Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating. This is more like the rest of the coatings out there -- drops are placed on an applicator and the applicator is used to wipe on the coating. I've used Wolfgang on paint, trim, windows and wheels, and I think it is easy to apply and works great. It is, however, very pricey.

The Gyeon line of coatings are also very good, but the higher end ones (along with some other notables not sold by PBMC) take a little practice.

They all make your paint -- especially dark paint -- look fantastic.

Whatever you choose, don't use any waxes or sealants on top of your nano/ceramic coatings. It's not that it is unsafe; it's just that you'll trade the hydrophobic properties of your coating for those of your wax/sealant -- until the wax/sealant is gone. Top your coatings with products that are meant to top coatings.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Topping a coating will also change the looks in addition to what Kevin said about water beading and I'll also add self cleaning abilities! I have Wolfgang ceramic paint coating on my car and even when it's dirty it's never ever "that" dirty and the gloss just shines through. I should also mention the POP of the metal flake, incrediblePlease Recommend a Coating

Post Thanks / Like

I'll bring up one not mentioned yet and deserves serious consideration: Feynlab Ceramic Lite. Easy to use, strong, slick. You will be a very, very happy camper with that on your paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ywcsam View Post
    Hi everyone. I am new to auto detailing, so please bare with me if I sound like a noob.

Just recently I bought a brand new CX5 in metallic gray. I cleaned the car and put some Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax on day one. While the look is decent right after waxing, i have noticed a layer of dust built up on the car the very next morning. That really bugs the living hell out of me. I live in an apartment so my car is parked in a car port at night, and out in the sun during the day when I am at work. I plan to do a real car wash once every month or two, and use waterless method in between.

I have been reading a lot about coatings for the past few days, and seems like coating will repel dust much better than traditional wax or sealant, so I am very tempted to give it a try. I know there are many posts about ceramic coatings already, but can you recommend me a coating that is best suited for my needs?

- Repels Dust
    - Able to withstand waterless car wash (good scratch resistance)
    - Gives protection to California sunshine
    - Last at least 1 year

I don't need the car to look brand new all the time, I just want it to stay clean as much as possible. Mckee's coating seems very good for the price, but I think some people say the new version is not as slick as the old version, so does that mean it will hold on to dust more than a coating that is slicker?

Thanks!!
    I'm not sure what part of California you are in but dust is a common thing. It just happens regardless if the paint is waxed, sealed or coated in California. It is a desert land after all.

Zach gave you a lot of good information.

You may want to pick up some Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish locally. Seems to help with not attracting dust as much. Also claimed to offer 1 year of protection. It is also slick and very user friendly. I would go this route since you are fairly new to detailing.

Welcome to the forum!

Your getting great advice here on the coatings for sure, so instead of joining in there I will comment on your other situation, the waterless/rinseless wash. IMO WW is pretty much for dust, light to moderate and even light dirt from driving in the rain, there are MANY options here but IMO its Ech2o and N914. Taking it a step further, IMO the Ech2o is better for doing RW but still does great in WW form, N914 on the other hand, the opposite, great with WW and still great in RW but for doing RW with N914, I like to double the concentration, that's just me. Get yourself a 1000 ml Kwazzer spray bottle, actually 2 of them, one for RW and one for WW. When doing WW I like to make a gallon at a time, so get yourself some distilled water and follow the directions for making both RW and WW's and you'll be happy but for RW's it isn't a must to use distilled because your making up the mix right there in the bucket and getting after it on the spot, whereas with WW its best to make a gallon at a time, again, just my .02 cents.

Good luck with the coating you chose and post pics!
    I agree that Ech20 does work really well as a rinseless wash. I also find that it does a nice job of not attracting as much dust. N914 seems to do pretty well also in that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

It is mentioned on the carpro site.

Rinse-less Wash:

Mix 3 gallons of water with 2-3 ounces of Ech2o in a bucket with Grit Guard
    Fill another 5 gallon bucket with grit guard and ONLY clean water
    Submerge Crazy Pile Microfiber Towel in the solution bucket
    Fold Towel in half and drag slowly across surface no pressure across 1/4 of a panel
    Flip Towel and do a couple other passes on the next 1/4 of panel
    Flip Towel In side out and repeat using all 4 sides to complete one panel
    Use a seperate clean soaked towel for final buffing wipe
    Use a DRY summit 800 or suitable drying towel to dry the panel completely before moving on to next panel
    Wash the dirty towels in your rinse bucket OR use a new towel submerged and repeat steps 3-8
    Wash all towels in washing machine with Micro-Restore when complete

Post Thanks / Like

ech20 is a great product. I used it as a rw and recently started using it mixed 20:1 plus 3 ounces of reload as a quick detailer. I switched to UBER as my RW and it is amazing! Way slicker than ech20 for RW.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast