autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Gyeon CanCoat

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Not yet, but I've narrowed things down to CQuartz UK or Gyeon Mohs, with Gloss Coat as the dark horse. While Mohs is more expensive, it's the front runner. I'm starting to think the user experience will be better which justifies the higher cost in my eyes. I've got plenty of time to decide...I'm getting way ahead of myself right now.
    I was not that impressed with Gloss Coat after using it for a year. It's initial performance is nice but it seems to fade rather quickly. I may try it again but I am moving on from it an testing out a couple other coatings.

I have Mohs + Booster up next. I have been using Cquartz UK + TiO2 together and it works really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Thanks for the feedback- that’s exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Still trying to figure out a long term LSP for my wife’s Black Q5. she’s not super geek about paint finish, but she does like to keep it clean. Since it’s black I’ve kept her out of the automatic washes, but that means it’s not getting washed as often as either of us would like. (Dang life getting in the way...)

Various coatings have had my attention, but I’m always worried about water spot etching if not tended to soon enough.
    No issues with water spots on my mom's car that has CanCoat. Does't get washed every week. More like every other week. Rained a couple times over the summer and still no water spots even with the car parked under a tree.

2. Likes Loach, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonax PNS is the best sealant I have ever used regarding water spot prevention out of my entire LSP cabinet. They do actually wipe off when washing so to me that means it has strong ability to resist the chemical etching.

I was applying PNS on top of all my McKees37 paint coating jobs for a while. Mainly to try to guarantee a 1.5 lifespan out of the M37 coating, but also because I think PNS does a way better job of preventing water spots than Reload, Cure, etc during that curing/hardening phase for the first few weeks just after application.

To me just about every coating I have tried has issues with water spots. I stopped using Zaino 8-9 years ago because of the spots and now I've come full circle back to coatings with water spotting issues.

4. Likes Loach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any updates on anyone's experience with waterspot?? I have been playing with cancoat and spots so far are just wiping away so need to figure out a good head to head to try them out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    Any updates on anyone's experience with waterspot?? I have been playing with cancoat and spots so far are just wiping away so need to figure out a good head to head to try them out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Had it on my black car most of the summer. ZERO issues with mother nature delivering them. I also can attest to the fact that my sprinkler didn't bother it either and it had it's fair share of hits thanks to the kids.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Had it on my black car most of the summer. ZERO issues with mother nature delivering them. I also can attest to the fact that my sprinkler didn't bother it either and it had it's fair share of hits thanks to the kids.
    How hard is the water in your area? Around me, according to a USGS chart the water in our area is on the hard side and I found a good dousing from the sprinklers to actually leave some spots I couldn't wipe away. I didn't let the spots sit for more than a few hours, and using Ech2O I was able to wipe away all of them from the vertical pannels and most of the hood, but a few spots on the hood and some on the roof remain. You can't see them in normal lighting, but under the LED lights in my garage I see them.

All that said, rain is no issue at all. If an spots appear from a storm or driving in the rain, they wash right off.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    How hard is the water in your area? Around me, according to a USGS chart the water in our area is on the hard side and I found a good dousing from the sprinklers to actually leave some spots I couldn't wipe away. I didn't let the spots sit for more than a few hours, and using Ech2O I was able to wipe away all of them from the vertical pannels and most of the hood, but a few spots on the hood and some on the roof. You can't see them in normal lighting, but under the LED lights in my garage I see them.

All that said, rain is no issue at all. If an spots appear from a storm or driving in the rain, they wash right off.
    Our tap water is about 180ppm. That's last I checked prior to the RO system being installed. Due to the set up at our home our RO system doesn't route to the garage or outside though. Normal I suppose but not easily modified as I did ask during our remodel since I have hot and cold water in the garage. It was a bear to get a sewage deduct meter installed 20+ years ago even. Thankfully I haven't and don't pay sewage on water coming from the outside faucets or in the garage
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

So is this a disposable microfiber type product? Trash anything that touches it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    So is this a disposable microfiber type product? Trash anything that touches it?
    I'm on the fence with this question.

When I first applied CanCoat with a MF applicator, I tossed it in a bucket of water/APC solution immediatly after use, but ended up throwing the pad away. The product hardened on the pad and made it too rough for any future use. However, when I used a low knap MF towel to touch up problems I had with the initial application (long story...my fault), I too tossed it in a bucket of solution and eventually washed it with my other MF towels. This time it came out like new; nice and soft. In fact I re-used that towel when I applied CanCoat again this weekend. No idea what made the difference. I'm going to see how the towel survives this application.

Post Thanks / Like

Review: Gyeon CanCoat

Right, sounds manageable.

We detailers soil the earth with enough chemicals already for our own aesthetic delight, tossing towels after one use is the epitome of consumerism.

Did you rejuvenate both the application and the buffing towel?

Post Thanks / Like

I hand washed the pad and ran the towel through the washing machine.

Even before washing them, I could tell the difference. Coming out of the bucket, the pad fibers on the side I used felt stiff while the towel seemed pretty normal when I pulled it out of the bucket. No idea why. Going in I was fully planning on tossing the towel, but was pleasently surprised. This time around the towel saw alot more product and was used longer. We'll see if it survives to fight another day.

14. Thanks WristyManchego thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast