autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Shelf Life of Menzerna Compunds and Polishes

Wondering what the shelf life is on the Menzerna FG400, 2500, 3500, etc, if keep at room temperature. The reason I ask is I bought several quarts this summer and now want to buy a few more quarts to round out my arsenal, but now have a mild concern on shelf life of the products I only do this as a hobby my personal vehicles and other family members vehicles. These quart bottles are going to last me a long time.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shelf Life of Menzerna Compunds and Polishes

Honestly.... I have some compounds and polishes that are 2-3 years old and they still perform absolutely fine. I don't use Menzerna specifically.... but I wouldn't be concerned if I were you. Just keep them away from freezing cold and extreme heat.

Retired Professional Detailer

3. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very pleased to hear that. When I finish ordering this week I'll have probably $300.00 or more of their products, and it could take me 2-3 years to use it up. I wished they would market their compounds and polishes in 16oz bottles. The quart bottles are actually too much for me and the 8oz bottles are cost prohibitive for me to purchase.

Regards

5. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep my stuff in the house, roughly sits at about 78-80 degrees (yeah, I'm in AZ... even with AC the house is still 80 inside).
    I shake them every few months, and they're holding up. You can get a roll of "press-n-seal" and wrap the opening then place the cap over that.
    These products will last a long time as long as they don't sit in the garage and suffer extremes.

Heck, back in the late 70's I remember my older brothers having 1 Gal of #7 hanging around for years, and years... give it a shake and she was as good new.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    I keep my stuff in the house, roughly sits at about 78-80 degrees (yeah, I'm in AZ... even with AC the house is still 80 inside).
    I shake them every few months, and they're holding up. You can get a roll of "press-n-seal" and wrap the opening then place the cap over that.
    These products will last a long time as long as they don't sit in the garage and suffer extremes.

Heck, back in the late 70's I remember my older brothers having 1 Gal of #7 hanging around for years, and years... give it a shake and she was as good new.
    Great that's good to know, my stuff is keep in the basement basically 70*-75* and brought up to the garage when needed.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anderson3754 View Post
    Wondering what the shelf life is on
    the Menzerna FG400, 2500, 3500,
    etc, if keep at room temperature.

"Shelf life, technically, is 2 years. However,
    if the bottles are kept closed, and the product
    has not separated, there would be no problem
    with use for many years after sale date."

Best regards,

Jeff Silver
    Menzerna USA

(ca. ~2009)

As a Follow-up Note:
    Product separatation would be indicative
    of products undergoing the “aging process”...
    (but not necessarily causing them to be
    considered past their useful-life).

In a separation-scenario: I shake the
    container thoroughly, to see if the products
    will re-mix, before tossing them aside.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

9. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some Final Polish 2 that is probably 18 years old. I tried it out about a month ago. Seemed to work fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I consider myself to have a great memory... But I seriously have no clue what my intentions were when I bought this or which 1 of my previous cars I bought it for.. The only thing I'm sure of is that it's at least 13yrs. old and possibly up to 17yrs. old... Still works just fine and I won't be running out anytime soon. Lol.

12. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IME Menzerna compounds/polishes tend to be less susceptible to becoming runny or separating.

It kinda seems like my compounds/polishes that have move solvents like M101 and FG400 seem to remain good for longer.

Of all the abrasives I own, I never had issues with any of them until this past year. So far, I've had issues with HD cut+ and 3D 501 cutting compound which I even convinced myself they were just bad compounds until I gave them both another chance and found the working time, ease of removal, consistency was completely different. I have seen many other guys complain about HD Cut+ and 501 Cutting Compound becoming runny and becoming less user friendly over just a few months time.

Lots of guys including me have had Boss Correcting Cream and Fast Correcting cream become EXTREMELY runny which makes it far less user friendly IME

I am extremely anal about keeping all of my abrasives in my basement which is always around 68 degrees which seems to help but I think newer water based formulations may not keep as long for some reason. Once a month I go down to my basement and thoroughly shake all of my compounds and polishes but I've actually never had a product separate before.

Post Thanks / Like

A few months ago I discovered an old bottle of Menzerna PO106FF. I bought that probably 10 years ago! It was about half full. I shook it up for a long time just to make sure it was as fully mixed as I could get it again and then felt a bit in my fingers. It seemed fine so I tried it on the wife's white Nissan Altima. Worked perfectly fine.

The real test was working it like I always use to...fine cut pad and breaking it down to flash state and wiping off. It performed like I remembered. I've since gone through a few newer bottles of both 3500 and 3800 but will have no problem using this old 106 up in lieu of my current 3500.

I should say it was kept in the house in FL at about a constant 72-74 degrees.

Almost as good as finding a $20 bill in the pocket of some old jeans!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast