autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

leather cracking - need advice

The bolsters on my '14 Mercedes c63 are starting to get those creases/cracks. Bought the car about a year ago and the seats were much better then this. Since I've had the car I have used lexol products to clean and condition. What can I do to fix this issue? Is this just dirt/grime/etc that needs to be cleaned out or is something more? The lexol products are not helping the situation.

Would leatherique rejuvenator oil and prestine clean do the job? Or would I need a dye? How about swissvax products?

Any other options to reverse this process and get that leather back to looking new?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leather cracking - need advice-rear-bolster-jpg   leather cracking - need advice-side-bolster-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: leather cracking - need advice

I'd go with the Leatherique duo.

https://www.autogeek.net/leleca.html
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

You need the dye to cover these.

Have it done by an automotive leather installer shop.

They will clean the cracks and apply the dye.

After use a leather protectant sold here to restore shine.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in...

First - When leather gets these types of wear and flex cracks it's NATURAL. It's unwanted but it's natural.

Second - Applying any type of cleaner or conditioner or protectant will not make the cracks disappear as this type of wear has physically changed the structure of the material. Cleaning, conditioning and protecting will make the leather look better and can also help to prevent accelerated deterioration but things poured out of a bottle or scooped out of a can will not reverse physical wear damage.

To make the wear cracks visually disappear you will need to have these areas repaired or replaced but with more use, (you driving the car), they will come back. I know as I see this on the leather interior of our SL500 and we regularly clean, condition and protect the interior. It's just a sign of natural use or wear-n-tear.

5. Thanks Hammer77, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is from a review I did on Pinnacle Leather Cleaner. The left side has been treated with the cleaner / conditioner. As you can see it somewhat softened up the wrinkles.

This is my garage queen queen with less than 11,000 miles on it since April 2012 and you can see the type of wrinkling Mike refers too.

leather cracking - need advice-pinnacleleather1-jpg
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I figured some wrinkles is part of the natural wear n tear and I suppose white leather shows the dirt in the wrinkles even more?. Nevertheless, I ordered the leatherique kit so lets see what happens before having to go to the extreme of adding dye

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentz69 View Post
    I figured some wrinkles is part of the natural wear n tear and I suppose white leather shows the dirt in the wrinkles even more?. Nevertheless, I ordered the leatherique kit so lets see what happens before having to go to the extreme of adding dye
    https://www.autogeek.net/leatherique...tructions.html
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Leatherique rejuvenator oil has been applied. My seats actually have alcantara on the seat cushion and backrest and there is no leather on the rear of the seat. I know the instructions say roughly 4oz of oil should be used per seat but taking into account the way my seats are constructed, I only used 1 oz of oil per front seat and it appears to have a good coating of oil on the leather. I used a small spray bottle, a foam sponge and my fingers. Sprayed the oil on the sponge and worked it into the leather. After the whole seat was done with the pad, I sprayed the oil on my hand and rub it in while leaving a fair amount on the leather. There is a good amount of oil on the seat now but I'm wondering if i should use more?

This is what my seats look like

This is what they look like with the oil on it. Should I apply more?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Leatherique didnt do anything. Does that mean its time for dye?