autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Headlight Lens Damaged by Debris on the highway

Hi,

Traveling between New York and Boston this past weekend, something either kicked up off the road or fell from above and hit the passenger side headlight on my 911. I only saw it for a brief second, but it almost seemed like a small piece of wood like a very short section of tree branch. Here's a picture of the damage that was done:

Headlight Lens Damaged by Debris on the highway-img_0111-jpg

The impact area (which are really 2 patches) are quite rough. I know the lens can most likely never look like new again, but I'm sure this headlamp is super expensive to replace and I'm interested instead to try to improve its appearance as much as possible. I already have a variety of wet/dry sandpaper ranging from 400 to 2000 grit (as well as sanding stones of similar grits) which I have used to sand and then polish paint chip touch ups. I also own a variety of polishers with compounds, etc. One option is to just leave it as is and live with it, but I've typically not been very good with that approach! Any advice or input would be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Lens Damaged by Debris on the highway

If the factory film is still intact and in good shape, I would think doing anything that involves sandpaper would make it worse. You could try sanding the whole surface down past the defect. But from the looks of it, it's pitted pretty good. That would involve a lot of sanding.