autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Need (Mental) Help! Just Quick Detailed My Car TWICE in One Day

I'm sure I'll find amongst the crowd here that this is normal behavior, but it was an interesting day yesterday.

I had the great idea to bring my Megs Last Touch and MF towels with me to work and do a wipe down of the car over lunch. Worked great and was a nice day for it. Came back to work and finished up my day. When I went back out to the car after work, I found it completely covered in what I think were fibers from a cottonwood tree. It was just covered and was very frustrating. So after dinner at home I did another wipe down with Last Touch. My wife thinks I'm crazy! Am I??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need (Mental) Help! Just Quick Detailed My Car TWICE in One Day

You're wife's crazy.....You're normal LOL

3. Likes damonb10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not crazy, you just have too much free time
    Joking aside, there's a fine line between keeping it clean and doing too much. Remember that each time you touch the paint you abrade it, even if you can't see you're removing the LSP and adding microscopic scratches. So the more you work on it, the more work it will require to keep it looking good. Ideally we all want to see surgically clean cars all the time but you just have to learn to live with some stuff in there and try to wash it once a week with proper technique. That should keep the car protected for longer periods.
    Bruno Soares

5. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Not crazy, you just have too much free time
    Joking aside, there's a fine line between keeping it clean and doing too much. Remember that each time you touch the paint you abrade it, even if you can't see you're removing the LSP and adding microscopic scratches. So the more you work on it, the more work it will require to keep it looking good. Ideally we all want to see surgically clean cars all the time but you just have to learn to live with some stuff in there and try to wash it once a week with proper technique. That should keep the car protected for longer periods.
    Or he could quik detail his car every other day and simply re apply sealant every 6-8 weeks and have a clean shiny car 24/7.

Microscopic scratches? You mean the kind you need a microscope to see? He'll never see them, so they won't be an issue. Need (Mental) Help! Just Quick Detailed My Car TWICE in One Day

Post Thanks / Like

Or just coat it and not have to re apply for 1-2yrs?

Post Thanks / Like

That's not crazy at all, a couple of weeks ago my wife and I went for a drive up north in my Corvette to see the fall colors, and drove about 300 miles through some beautiful windy roads. But every time my wife wanted to stop to take some pictures, I would see dust on my car so I would break out the detailing spray and microfiber towel and clean it off, also cleaning off bugs from the windshield and nose of the car too. I must have done this about 5 or 6 times that day!

9. Likes damonb10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patman22 View Post
    That's not crazy at all, a couple of weeks ago my wife and I went for a drive up north in my Corvette to see the fall colors, and drove about 300 miles through some beautiful windy roads. But every time my wife wanted to stop to take some pictures, I would see dust on my car so I would break out the detailing spray and microfiber towel and clean it off, also cleaning off bugs from the windshield and nose of the car too. I must have done this about 5 or 6 times that day!
    Hah! That is hilarious!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Or he could quik detail his car every other day and simply re apply sealant every 6-8 weeks and have a clean shiny car 24/7.

Microscopic scratches? You mean the kind you need a microscope to see? He'll never see them, so they won't be an issue. Need (Mental) Help! Just Quick Detailed My Car TWICE in One Day
    Yeah, I'm actually leading up to my winter prep in the next week or two, where I'll be applying a new sealant. So, like you said, I'm not worried about taking off the LSP since I'll be re-applying very soon.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're insistent on wiping your vehicle down daily (or more often) you might want to reconsider your mental approach. Try doing it in quick (but light) fluid motions. There are people who pay to go to a gym 5-6 times a week to get exercise. You can get a healthy 10-15 minute cardio workout at no cost and with the additional benefit of a clean car .

Sometimes it's just how you see a situation.