autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - BF Compound and Polish

I received these products at no charge from Meghan, and in return, I agreed to provide a review on the forum. I will try to keep this as objective as I can.

Of all the products I received, this is a pair I was really looking forward to. I've been a fan of the old SRC compound for a while now, it has worked wonders on harder paint as a one step with a light cutting pad like the Rupes yellow so I was really excited to see what this pair could do.

The new BF compound is white, no discernible solvent odor, does not feel gritty but not quite a smooth lotion. It is easily dispensed from the 32 oz bottle. It spreads well on the paint. I used a variety of pads and machines on the hood of this dodge nitro, none of the DAs had any dust whatsoever doing a single section. The rotary and wool produced a small amount of dust, likely a result of the additional product used on the rotary. It wiped off very easy in all cases, among the easiest compounds to remove using eagle edgeless towels.

Initial condition, the pictures don't do this justice as the flake was hiding a lot in the photo; this paint was very rough.

Results after megs MF cutting pad on a 21mm, a little haze and all but the deepest swirls and RIDs removed with 5 passes, the compound had plenty more to give at this point

Results after LC orange hybrid pad on a 3401, barely any haze and about 90% removed, some deeper swirls and RIDs remain after 5 passes, the compound had plenty more to give at this point

Results after Surbuf on a 15mm, quite a bit of haze and slightly better removal than the flex, some deeper swirls and RIDs remain after 5 passes, the compound had maybe a pass or two left at this point

I also used the flex with LC purple wool, not pictured, a lot of haze but everything but the RIDs removed after 5 passes, the compound had maybe a pass or two left at this point

I also used the rotary and twisted wool, not pictured, again a lot left to refine but everything but the RIDs removed after 5 passes, the compound had a few passes left at this point.

I would rate the cut somewhere between megs UC and FG400. The finish is pretty good (better than fg400) and the working time is pretty long with foam and shorter fibers, it dried up a bit quicker with longer fiber pads.

The new blackfire polish is similarly white with no discernible solvent odor. It feels like a lotion, though it's a bit thicker. It spreads easily on the paint but wipe off was a little more work that the compound when using an eagle edgeless. I think I need to try a different towel with this polish. This is definitely a finishing polish. It had no trouble cleaning up after the compound, but when used as a one step it fell a bit short.

Results after Rupes green on a 15mm, most of the swirls remain after 5 passes, I'd say 60% removal. That said, I think the compound would have been the better choice for a one step here. Similar results were found with LC white hybrid on the 3401 and Rupes yellow on the 21; the yellow and 21 providing the best results, though I have a lot more time with this combo than the others.

These two are matched very well as a pair and worked well with a variety of machines and pads. As stand alone one steps, perhaps the polish would perform on softer paints, but anything medium to hard I would grab the compound and a light cutting pad straight away.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - BF Compound and Polish

Thank you for the review, we tested out many different polishes and compound samples before finally deciding on this one.
    The whole theory on this re-branding of this line was to make products that worked great, worked fast, and are priced right for the detailer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.

Since you've used the SRC combo in the past where would you put the new compound compared to the old one? It sounds like it might be a bit more aggressive, but still not as aggressive as something like Menz 400. I've used the SRC pair for years now and always thought the compound was more of a good swirl remover than a true compound as most people would define it. It worked great on my hard, black, VW paint.

What sized bottle did they give you? Was it a ready-for sale container? I realize it's a strange question, but I'm starting to lean towards polishes packaged in 8oz bottles. 16oz locks me into years with a single product and some go bad or are eclipsed by other products long before I use them all up.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Thanks for the review.

Since you've used the SRC combo in the past where would you put the new compound compared to the old one? It sounds like it might be a bit more aggressive, but still not as aggressive as something like Menz 400. I've used the SRC pair for years now and always thought the compound was more of a good swirl remover than a true compound as most people would define it. It worked great on my hard, black, VW paint.

What sized bottle did they give you? Was it a ready-for sale container? I realize it's a strange question, but I'm starting to lean towards polishes packaged in 8oz bottles. 16oz locks me into years with a single product and some go bad or are eclipsed by other products long before I use them all up.
    It will be offered in 32oz, gallon and in a couple weeks the 8oz.

Post Thanks / Like

Review - BF Compound and Polish

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Thanks for the review.

I focused mostly on performance with different machines for this review hoping folks will see what they might be able to achieve with their favorite machine.

I haven't compared to SRC with all else being equal, but I think this new revised compound will have better cut, I could not even hazard a guess on finish. I will find some time to compare the two.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

7. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review, I think the eagle edgeless are to plush for buffing off residue. I like a nice 365 or even a 300 gsm for that. Of course 70/30 edgeless

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    Thank you for the review, we tested out many different polishes and compound samples before finally deciding on this one.
    The whole theory on this re-branding of this line was to make products that worked great, worked fast, and are priced right for the detailer!
    those are the things I love to hear Meghan, I just wish and again this is just because of where I live and detail, but I wish they were better tested in high heat environments. that is what restricts me the most, if I can my hands on some id love to see how it preforms, never hurts to have another top quality product that you can choose from on the shelf.

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    those are the things I love to hear Meghan, I just wish and again this is just because of where I live and detail, but I wish they were better tested in high heat environments. that is what restricts me the most, if I can my hands on some id love to see how it preforms, never hurts to have another top quality product that you can choose from on the shelf.
    Well these were all tested in Florida we are a bit hot down here and we did the testing over the summer months so you should be good to go with these. If you ever want to test out and post your feedback on products contact me via email. Be happy to have someone on the West coast testing these out as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    Well these were all tested in Florida we are a bit hot down here and we did the testing over the summer months so you should be good to go with these. If you ever want to test out and post your feedback on products contact me via email. Be happy to have someone on the West coast testing these out as well.
    I have used alot of mckees items and I know nick and Joe test them in the fl sun but I think the humidity is playing a big part as well because when I get my hands on them they turn out to be much different. I do love the new sio2 soap that's that best in the sun preforming foam soap I've used to date, now I just have to wait until summer for more test..lol

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast