autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beginner question about M105

Quote Originally Posted by Gradywhite3535 View Post
    Hey guys thanks for the responses, I would take a picture of it but I'm not by the car. The car is in pretty good shape but has some spots that has really bad oxidation and a few scratches( not swirl scratches). I figured since the car has never been compounded or polished since I owned the car(5-7 years, it's a 03) I would hit it with 105 then 205. I may just go buy some ultimate compound and hit it with that to see if I get better results then use 105 in the bad spots where there is oxidation on top of the door by roof. I will take some pics when I'm by the car.i did hear megs 100 and 101 are more user friendly. They make too many products lol.
    is it just drying out? is this what you are meaning by saying its done being worked?>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gradywhite3535 View Post
    Hi all, first time user with portrait cable 7204 DA. I'm using a orange lake country pad, speed 5 on machine, using m105. I'm working on a silver Acura TL that is very hard to see when the compound has flashed and time to stop.also working outside it's hard to see against the silver paint. It seems to dry up really fast. I know there are many variables but how many section passes with M105 is good to start out with? It seems like it flashes with only 1 or 2section passes but like I said it's hard to See. I did read that you should spritz some water or detail spray to further your working time. Also when you clean the pad with a brush on the machine and then use compressed air should you reprime the pad or just use the same amount of polish you use to do your section passes? Is there a big difference using ultimate compound to M105 with ease of use, I'm thinking I should have tried the ultimate to start out with. Thank you
    I used to use M105 for years then move on to menzerna as find it hard to control. Few years back I started to re-explore m105 and now i loved it alot more than menzerna. My product preference changes when i started to use a different pad/machine. Both are quality products, just different stroke for different folks. Whenever I read about somebody recommend another compound over M105, it is always something with a longer work time and wetter emulsion so end of the day i believe it depends on your style of polishing.

You dont really need to spritz water or detail spray to increase your work time in my opinion. M105 is meant to work fast. Just add more compound if you finish your cycle. Prime the pad with m105 if you want to lengthen the cycle and change the pad if it become saturated. One con however is the compound might have difficulty abrading harder paint before it dust. Swap to a rotary with a suitable pad will help, if not prime the pad well and immediately add pressure when polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

With M105 on a d/a, I short cycle it, and keep the pad well brushed out after each section.

When short cycling, I only work the compound for maybe two or three passes before wiping off. I also work it in smaller sections. Sometimes this technique requires that I compound the area a second time.

Even with that technique, I still can't use M105 in the sun.

On a rotary with a wool pad, M105 is awesome! Cuts hard and fast.

If you want almost no dusting with a heavy cut try Meguiar's D300 on Meguiar's microfiber cutting discs. Incredible. Two of the most successful high profile, high end production shops in my area usually start any cutting process with the D300/Microfiber cutting discs, and a random orbital tool.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So here are some pics of the car. As you can see above the doors there is really bad oxidation and I tried 105 over that spot and had not the best results. I'm wondering now if it's that the clear coat is shot and will never have the shine I'm looking for. From the looks of the car should I just use 205 on the whole car and call it a day or use a combo of 105 and 205. I've never used these products before and I just want the best finish I can do. Or even ultimate compound like others recommended and then 205? Any recommendations would be great. Thanks again oh and the pic with the white pad, is that color coming off the car or just spent product?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beginner question about M105-img_5927-jpg   Beginner question about M105-img_5930-jpg   Beginner question about M105-img_5931-jpg   Beginner question about M105-img_5932-jpg   Beginner question about M105-img_5919-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

To test whether that spot is a strike through, use a darker color microfiber and rub it with m105. It should help to see better with that paint. No point to keep polishing that spot if the clearcoat is gone. Go with M105/205 if you have the time. As for switching to ultimate compound over m105, I would stick with what I already have. imo there are meant to do the same thing even though ultimate compound has a longer work time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I would like to use the products I have I just got to learn to use it. Like the junkman says you can't keep buying new products to chase the shine.hopefully I get the paint to where it needs to be ..thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12