autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Loss of clarity with coating?

I just coated my car Sunday for the first time. It went well installation wise. No high spots or anything like that. I gave it the first wash just now and that went well. The car looks good from most angles. Its definitely similar to what I had with my hybrid waxes and regular waxes.

The thing is, I noticed on the 2 drivers side doors, from like 15 20 feet away looking straight at them they look rubbery and dull. It looks like they lost all their clarity. They don't have that mirror finish that I'm used to seeing. Has anyone noticed anything like this when switching to a coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Loss of clarity with coating?

You mention the 2 doors on driver’s side. How about the rest of the car? Dull too?
    I know some people don’t like the look of a coated car, it becomes glassy and not a deep shine like waxes. But I don’t recall reading dull as a description of a coated car. My wife’s car was also coated this weekend and looks better than it did before with sealants.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    You mention the 2 doors on driver’s side. How about the rest of the car? Dull too?
    I know some people don’t like the look of a coated car, it becomes glassy and not a deep shine like waxes. But I don’t recall reading dull as a description of a coated car. My wife’s car was also coated this weekend and looks better than it did before with sealants.
    No it looks glassy up close but also rubbery/brownish from the side when im 15-20 feet away. Im going to get some pics tomorrow to compare but I'm definitely seeing less clarity on the 2 doors from that angle. It doesnt have that mirror finish it had before. But the passenger side doors did look good.

I'm going to have to get a better look tomorrow. If it was up to me I would be in the garage buffing it out right now but I can't. I was going to top the coating with high gloss tomorrow but IDK.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of coating?? Most say not to wash for a full week. I usually try to go 10 days.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    What kind of coating?? Most say not to wash for a full week. I usually try to go 10 days.
    Its the pinnacle diamond paint coating v2. I'll be able to get some better pics later today. I was looking at old pics and it was definitely more clear but it might be the angle or the sunlight its hard to say.

Also I noticed it before washing when I went out to check the cloud cover for washing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Its the pinnacle diamond paint sealant v2.
    U meant this https://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-paint-coating.html correct not their paint sealant https://www.autogeek.net/best-car-paint-sealant.html
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Ran

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Yes!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still evaluating it. I had problems with the surface cleansing polish that left micro marring but not bad enough to ruin the coating. It does look good/ok from a lot of angles. Today was off and on rainy so I will play around with it tomorrow. Right now im on the fence about it. It's not really blowing me away. It does look glassy from certain angles. I will get the pics I promised hopefully tomorrow if weather cooperates

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update I'm out here working on it. So I didn't coat the trunk and it kind of has the same look as the doors that I thought looked rubbery. I think I did lose a little bit of clarity and it does look a little rubbery but going by the trunk it's not that clear from 15-20 feet away either

I'm going to redo it around Thanksgiving and probably try the new McKees coating. I'm doing a test right now to see if I should talk my current coating with Synergy or famous carnauba flocking cream both are hybrid waxes I'll try to post some pics later

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Just an update I'm out here working on it. So I didn't coat the trunk and it kind of has the same look as the doors that I thought looked rubbery. I think I did lose a little bit of clarity and it does look a little rubbery but going by the trunk it's not that clear from 15-20 feet away either

I'm going to redo it around Thanksgiving and probably try the new McKees coating. I'm doing a test right now to see if I should talk my current coating with Synergy or famous carnauba flocking cream both are hybrid waxes I'll try to post some pics later
    Since you say to you didn't coat the trunk, did you use your normL method of lsp on it? Or what's on it now?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast