autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Loss of clarity with coating?

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    That just sounds like too many cooks in the kitchen but interested to see how it turns out.

When I first started messing about with coatings i wss topping them with all sorts of waxes and QD's...Wolfgang Fuzion, Dodo Purple Haze, Pinnacle Souveran, WG Detail Spritz, WG Deep Gloss Sealant and Spritz, Kenotek Showroom Shine and a few more. Eventually I just ended up with s surface that acted like a wax...not very self cleaning and attracted dust.

After I gave up on that I went into SiO2 overload; wash coated car with Gyeon Bathe+, follow that with Gyeon WetCoat, finish with Gyeon Cure or similar. Eventually I did start to lose clarity and have since become kinda a minimalist.

Car is now coated, added a carnuaba/glass coating hybrid wax from the same 'collection' every 3 months or so, topped occasionally with a booster from the same collection.
    Good to know only thing is I noticed the loss of clarity as soon as I coated it with nothing on top. My eyes can see it and now I see it in that picture so I'm just going to buff the coating off

What u use pa stuff?

Post Thanks / Like

That just sounds like too many cooks in the kitchen but interested to see how it turns out.

When I first started messing about with coatings i wss topping them with all sorts of waxes and QD's...Wolfgang Fuzion, Dodo Purple Haze, Pinnacle Souveran, WG Detail Spritz, WG Deep Gloss Sealant and Spritz, Kenotek Showroom Shine and a few more. Eventually I just ended up with s surface that acted like a wax...not very self cleaning and attracted dust.

After I gave up on that I went into SiO2 overload; wash coated car with Gyeon Bathe+, follow that with Gyeon WetCoat, finish with Gyeon Cure or similar. Eventually I did start to lose clarity and have since become kinda a minimalist.

Car is now coated, added a carnuaba/glass coating hybrid wax from the same 'collection' every 3 months or so, topped occasionally with a booster from the same collection.
    I wholeheartedly agree that simple is best. I don't top my coatings either. However, what do you use as a drying aid or post-wash spot remover...or do you at all?

I have no shade/cover for washing and even on the smallest car washed as quickly as possible, I'll get a few spots. Drying aids or an as-needed wipe down is a necessity for me. Right now, I'm pretty happy with Kenotek on my McKee's 37 coating and I liked McKee's 37 High Gloss Detailer (supposedly a complimentary product to the coating) as well. Ultimately, I'm looking for a product that leaves as little behind as possible. Right now I'm using QD sprays as I feel they leave far less behind than spray waxes. What little they do leave probably doesn't last more than a few days.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

gif hosting

I can see it clearly in this picture
    Just wanted to bump the picture, I don't know if its just the coating brand but it definitely looks worse. Even the guy at work could clearly see it

I might even bang out Friday to buff it off

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know only thing is I noticed the loss of clarity as soon as I coated it with nothing on top. My eyes can see it and now I see it in that picture so I'm just going to buff the coating off

What u use pa stuff?
    I was messing about with some coatings on a hood to try some different methods/tools once last summer; although I *thought* I did a complete prep wipedown (Gyeon Prep) when I pulled the car out into the sun I could see some haziness which it turned out from being poor post polishing prep. While in garage, surface looked free and clear the Prep had not completely removed all residue from surface, which I then coated over with somewhat hazy results in sun. Just a thought...

I PM'd ya on what stuff I use currently...

Loss of clarity with coating?-bead1-jpgLoss of clarity with coating?-kamikaze-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree that simple is best. I don't top my coatings either. However, what do you use as a drying aid or post-wash spot remover...or do you at all?

I have no shade/cover for washing and even on the smallest car washed as quickly as possible, I'll get a few spots. Drying aids or an as-needed wipe down is a necessity for me. Right now, I'm pretty happy with Kenotek on my McKee's 37 coating and I liked McKee's 37 High Gloss Detailer (supposedly a complimentary product to the coating) as well. Ultimately, I'm looking for a product that leaves as little behind as possible. Right now I'm using QD sprays as I feel they leave far less behind than spray waxes. What little they do leave probably doesn't last more than a few days.
    I use the Booster product from the coating family collection as a drying aid...

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another 1 with the exact lighting

Edit: Just wanted to add that it has nothing to do with the lsp on the uncoated car. I have 100 other pics with all different combinations of lsp and they are all comparable. I only chose that pic because the lighting and angle were the closest to the coated pic

Dang that coating was 80 bucks too plus 30 for the polish

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely a loss of clarity..plain to see. Was the coating the Blackfire Surface Coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely a loss of clarity..plain to see. Was the coating the Blackfire Surface Coating?
    No the pinnacle black label diamond paint coating V2. I'm taking friday off from work so I can spend the weekend buffing it back to normal.

Do u guys think menzerna 3500 will get the coating off? It's been on a little under 2 weeks

Post Thanks / Like

Loss of clarity with coating?

Here's another 1 with the exact lighting
    Nope, I disagree. The lighting is not the exact same and the tell tale signs are 1st of all visable on your wheel... It's blinding bright coming off the wheel which indicates the brightness [or whatever the correct term] is set too high, causing it to look sort of like this, except even brighter in your pic.

Under normal camera conditions it should look more like this, even in direct sun.

I oughta know, because when I took that pic a while back, I was purposely trying to highlight the gloss on the tires, but it just didn't look natural so I toned down my brightness, which is what you should've done.

It's also visible on small areas such as the exterior drivers side rear view mirror [look at the triangle shaped part closest to the door] notice the slight difference in shade between the 2 pics, and again it's slightly visable on the roof racks black trim... And especially noticeable on the chrome door handle. 1 pic it's so bright it's blurry, and on the right side pic it's clear and natural.

You're doing a good job of convincing yourself though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Nope, I disagree. The lighting is not the exact same and the tell tale signs are 1st of all visable on your wheel... It's blinding bright coming off the wheel which indicates the brightness [or whatever the correct term] is set too high, causing it to look sort of like this, except even brighter in your pic.

Under normal camera conditions it should look more like this, even in direct sun.

I oughta know, because when I took that pic a while back, I was purposely trying to highlight the gloss on the tires, but it just didn't look natural so I toned down my brightness, which is what you should've done.

It's also visible on small areas such as the exterior drivers side rear view mirror [look at the triangle shaped part closest to the door] notice the slight difference in shade between the 2 pics, and again it's slightly visable on the roof racks black trim... And especially noticeable on the chrome door handle. 1 pic it's so bright it's blurry, and on the right side pic it's clear and natural.

You're doing a good job of convincing yourself though...
    Yeah ok bro, to bad i noticed it without the pics hence why I made the thread. Its obvious you must be blind if you cant see it. Youre just trying to argue for arguement sake, i didnt need the pics to be able to see it i only posted them for the forum.

Of course it's not an exact match the pics are months apart.

Post Thanks / Like

The plastic trim along the rocker panel looks slightly darker on the right vs. left side... Again due to lighting conditions not being exactly the same or IMO ideal.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast