autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon Coating Questions

Reading about this Gyeon Prime sale got me thinking. https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ime-bonus.html

I'm looking to try something new on my car next year, and since I'm prone to over-researching rather than simply "going for it", I'm already reading up on alternatives. This sale led me to look at Gyeon's coatings, but I've got a few questions that can't seem to find any answers.

• What is the difference between Prime and Mohs? Is it only the "hardness" of the coating? The product descriptions are nearly identical except for the mohs scale hardness mention for the Mohs coating and the price. Longevity and application process seem to be identical.
    • Does the vehicle really need sit for 24 hours without being driven after applying the coating? If so, that's a non-starter for me. I can keep the car dry and dormant in my garage for 12 hours, but not 24.
    • Is the longevity really only 1 year? That's not very impressive considering price for either coating. Any coating I consider needs to go 18~24 months to be worth my while.

If the products are more durable and little less finicky than their descriptions, I might add the Prime 30ml kit to my list of contenders.

Thanks in advance for any information, experiences, or thoughts.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gyeon Coating Questions

Prime is much different compared to Mohs. It won't be as slick, not as easy to apply and remove compared to Mohs, but slightly better water behavior in the short term and in my tests much more resistant to harsher chemicals in the short term as well. I only gave them 3 days to cure before I started dumping LA's TA degreaser and APC on them and this destroyed Mohs, I'm guessing it didn't reach its full cure point, Prime was not affected at all. At a minimum, this tells me Prime will cure stronger at a faster rate. Mohs is a dream to apply, super smooth application process and slicker buff off. Seems like it left a slightly darker finish as well compared to Prime. Prime is much closer to CQUK in its properties.

No longevity tests yet.

3. Thanks MattPersman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

In using both have found that:

Prime is more of a hard, candy like gloss while Mohs has a softer, deeper glow...but still very glossy
    Mohs has better self-cleaning abilities
    Mohs lasts longer and is more resistant to things like water/bird droppings etching the paint

I didn't really find the application of either to be very difficult. I have two co-workers whose cars I used Prime on about 3 months ago. One is more diligent in taking care of his car (not OCD, but does wash properly occasionally), one...not so much. The 'not so much' car looks like it, the other still looks good. On the other hand, I coated one of our fleet vehicles in Mohs in Feb 2017 and it has sat outside since then, never been washed since then, had a bird bomb sitting on the hood baking in the sun for two weeks this summer....and it still looks great.

So, in describing the difference between Prime and Mohs for me, it comes down to 'durability'. To be honest, I wasn't that impressed with Prime.

I think the 'no drive for 24 hrs' really comes down to 'do not get wet' for 24hrs. I've let coated cars go in less than 24 hours as long as no rain (or morning dew) was expected with no ill effects. The application of Cure a few hours after the last layer of Prime can help with that as well, providing a measure of protection until underlying coating is cured.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    Prime is much different compared to Mohs. It won't be as slick, not as easy to apply and remove compared to Mohs, but slightly better water behavior in the short term and in my tests much more resistant to harsher chemicals in the short term as well. I only gave them 3 days to cure before I started dumping LA's TA degreaser and APC on them and this destroyed Mohs, I'm guessing it didn't reach its full cure point, Prime was not affected at all. At a minimum, this tells me Prime will cure stronger at a faster rate. Mohs is a dream to apply, super smooth application process and slicker buff off. Seems like it left a slightly darker finish as well compared to Prime. Prime is much closer to CQUK in its properties.

No longevity tests yet.
    Interesting observations. Living in the midwest, the chemical resistance to road salt is always something I have to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    I'll need to check them out after work. Thanks for the links!

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    In using both have found that:

Prime is more of a hard, candy like gloss while Mohs has a softer, deeper glow...but still very glossy
    Mohs has better self-cleaning abilities
    Mohs lasts longer and is more resistant to things like water/bird droppings etching the paint

I didn't really find the application of either to be very difficult. I have two co-workers whose cars I used Prime on about 3 months ago. One is more diligent in taking care of his car (not OCD, but does wash properly occasionally), one...not so much. The 'not so much' car looks like it, the other still looks good. On the other hand, I coated one of our fleet vehicles in Mohs in Feb 2017 and it has sat outside since then, never been washed since then, had a bird bomb sitting on the hood baking in the sun for two weeks this summer....and it still looks great.

So, in describing the difference between Prime and Mohs for me, it comes down to 'durability'. To be honest, I wasn't that impressed with Prime.

I think the 'no drive for 24 hrs' really comes down to 'do not get wet' for 24hrs. I've let coated cars go in less than 24 hours as long as no rain (or morning dew) was expected with no ill effects. The application of Cure a few hours after the last layer of Prime can help with that as well, providing a measure of protection until underlying coating is cured.
    I appreciate the insight. Does either coating look to make it beyond the 12-month point? It sounds like I'd be happier with the looks of Mohs, but questionable durability and cost makes me think I'd be better off with Carpro, Optimum, or even Gtechniq's offerings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I appreciate the insight. Does either coating look to make it beyond the 12-month point? It sounds like I'd be happier with the looks of Mohs, but questionable durability and cost makes me think I'd be better off with Carpro, Optimum, or even Gtechniq's offerings.
    I spent winter 2017 prepping and coating a bunch of fleet vehicles at work and watching how they hold up. Among the coatings I used on either fleet vehicles or my personal cars were:

Cquartz Classic
    Wolfgang Uber Ceramic
    McKees Paint Coating
    Gyeon Mohs
    Gyeon Prime
    Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light
    6 other non-Autogeek consumer avaliable coatings

Among those Gyeon Mohs was tied for second as far as durability, self cleaning and looks went in my (admittedly amateur) opinion.

Living in NE Ohio and with all vehicles being daily drivers (and then some with the Fleet vehicles, of which Gyeon Mohs was one) self cleaning, durability and looks are my primary concerns/needs.

Have watched these vehicles for at least 8 months I have very little doubt that the Mohs will make 12 months. The vehicle it is on had it applied it late February 2017, topped with Cure after application and hasn't been washed by anyone but Mother Nature since.

It still looks very good, remains remarkably clean with no attention. Beading has fallen off a bit on the hood but I'm pretty sure that would return if I washed it.

A guy at work just bought a new, white F150 and wants to coat it. He'll wash it occasionally going forward but not in an obsessive manner. I'm gonna use Gyeon Mohs on it because of its characteristics as a solid, durable, low maintenance and good looking product.

I'll likely top it with Gyeon Can Coat because I've never done it before and have seen results that indicate it adds a bit more longevity and a sharper bit of gloss, which will be nice on a white truck.

I certainly don't think you can go wrong with Mohs.

Also worth noting is original formula McKees Paint Coating. Saw a car I used it on in Summer 2016 which likely receives washes every other week and occasional Gyeon Wet Coat applications and was surprised how good it still looked. Even though a metallic silver car, that candy like coating 'look' was still plain to see. On a cost/performance basis, that's a pretty stout product.

It's all very subjective though so YMMV but that's how it worked out for me.

8. Likes nat88 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Thanks!

Interesting observations. Living in the midwest, the chemical resistance to road salt is always something I have to keep in mind.

I'll need to check them out after work. Thanks for the links!

I haven't fully tested the gyeon coatings but have them in my possession. But I am sure they will last longer if maintained with something like Cure,wet Coat or CanCoat. You could always try Gtechniq or CarPro and test those as well. I would not bother with optimum. From personal experience it does not live up to the 2 year claims.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I spent winter 2017 prepping and coating a bunch of fleet vehicles at work and watching how they hold up. Among the coatings I used on either fleet vehicles or my personal cars were:

Cquartz Classic
    Wolfgang Uber Ceramic
    McKees Paint Coating
    Gyeon Mohs
    Gyeon Prime

Among those Gyeon Mohs was tied for second as far as durability, self cleaning and looks went in my (admittedly amateur) opinion.

Living in NE Ohio and with all vehicles being daily drivers (and then some with the Fleet vehicles, of which Gyeon Mohs was one) self cleaning, durability and looks are my primary concerns/needs.

Have watched these vehicles for at least 8 months I have very little doubt that the Mohs will make 12 months. The vehicle it is on had it applied it late February 2017, topped with Cure after application and hasn't been washed by anyone but Mother Nature since.

It still looks very good, remains remarkably clean with no attention. Beading has fallen off a bit on the hood but I'm pretty sure that would return if I washed it.

A guy at work just bought a new, white F150 and wants to coat it. He'll wash it occasionally going forward but not in an obsessive manner. I'm gonna use Gyeon Mohs on it because of its characteristics as a solid, durable, low maintenance and good looking product.

I'll likely top it with Gyeon Can Coat because I've never done it before and have seen results that indicate it adds a bit more longevity and a sharper bit of gloss, which will be nice on a white truck.

I certainly don't think you can go wrong with Mohs.

Also worth noting is original formula McKees Paint Coating. Saw a car I used it on in Summer 2016 which likely receives washes every other week and occasional Gyeon Wet Coat applications and was surprised how good it still looked. Even though a metallic silver car, that candy like coating 'look' was still plain to see. On a cost/performance basis, that's a pretty stout product.

It's all very subjective though so YMMV but that's how it worked out for me.
    Thanks again for your insight. I really appreciate hearing peoples experiences with products over the long haul. There is a lot to be learned from the initial application impressions most people post here, but that is often only half the story.

I sat down and watched the video's BigRiverFan provided (THANKS!). They were very helpful in educating me on the products. At one point the presenter states they prefer applying two or three coats which should last upwards of two years if properly maintained (EDIT: I just noticed the official Gyeon site states 18 months for Mohs). Since I'm probably middle of the pack on the Autogeek member insanity scale, the vehicle will be well maintained. That leads me to believe I should be able to see similar results without having to resort to pulling out the big guns and topping it with something like Can Coat. If I end up going this route, I'll probably use half-strength Cure as a drying aid like shown in the video and hit it with full strength cure every few weeks.

All of my family fleet currently wears the original McKee's 37 Coating. I'm quite happy with it and will continue to use it, but I'm wanting to pick up experience with other product lines and test them out on my daily driver which is my "baby".

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I haven't fully tested the gyeon coatings but have them in my possession. But I am sure they will last longer if maintained with something like Cure,wet Coat or CanCoat. You could always try Gtechniq or CarPro and test those as well. I would not bother with optimum. From personal experience it does not live up to the 2 year claims.
    Thanks, Guz. I found some discussions last night hinting at Optimum's durability not living up to claims. My initial attraction was the perceived simplicity of use; i.e. no need for any dedicated maintenance products, etc. I used a sample of Carpro CQuartz on my wheels and after three months the water still bounces off the surfaces.

Thanks again to everyone. I really appreciate the conversation and the opportunity to learn from your experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention booster would work on top of prime as well to increase durability. FYI another site has 25% off sale and maybe AGO can price match some Gyeon items for you.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=BudgetPlan1;1533162]I spent winter 2017 prepping and coating a bunch of fleet vehicles at work and watching how they hold up. Among the coatings I used on either fleet vehicles or my personal cars were:

Cquartz Classic
    Wolfgang Uber Ceramic
    McKees Paint Coating
    Gyeon Mohs
    Gyeon Prime

So what iyo was first?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast