autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Truck - A Few Questions

I just bought a new truck (new to me 2016 Ram 1500). I tend to keep cars a long time. I traded in an 03 Ram. So I want to take care of things now that will pay dividends 10 years from now as the truck is still
    The interior is leather, including the dash. I bought Griots 3 in 1 Leather. I think I read you really only want to use it monthly? Is there harm in using more? Is there another product I should consider to keep the leather in mint condition for the long term?
    My bigger question.... here in the northeast we have the pleasure of dealing with cars that rot away due to the snow and all the chemicals our roads are treated with. Does anyone have a good process to fight body rot? I do spray oil products underneath to anything I can reach. Does anyone have a product they use to keep the underside clean? Do you go under and spray it down with a hose and air dry?
    The only reason I gave up on my 03 was because I lost the body rot battle.

Todd

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Truck - A Few Questions

I grew up in Ohio and worked in the autobody business so I know a little about rust. In 1980 I packed it in and moved to Southern California where rust is not even a concern.

Although there are some steps that you can take (like your mentioned oil-spray) to slow the process, it's really a losing battle.

Personally, if I lived in an area such as you I would have a "beater" vehicle to drive through the winter months while my nice car sat in a garage. It's either that or else plan on a new car every few years.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say apply Fluid Film yearly in the Autumn and hope for the best. I put it on my truck a year ago and plan to do so again soon. I have had the truck for 2 winters in Massachusetts and the underside still looks pretty good. That was with one winter unprotected. With the Fluid Film on things tend to not stick to the frame as badly. I don't pressure wash it because I don't want to blast it off.

I also use Griot's Undercarriage Spray on the visible parts of the underside to keep them looking nice.
    Tim 2014 Ram 1500 2005 Triumph Tiger
    FLICKR Instagram

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post

Personally, if I lived in an area such as you I would have a "beater" vehicle to drive through the winter months while my nice car sat in a garage.

It's either that or else plan on a new car every few years.
    That's what I would recommend too...

I lived in Seaside, Oregon for about 7 years and so many daily drivers simply rotted away from rust.

If it's important to you then find an alternative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    That's what I would recommend too...

I lived in Seaside, Oregon for about 7 years and so many daily drivers simply rotted away from rust.

If it's important to you then find an alternative.

Really I need t move to a better climate!
    What about the interior leather? My concern is the leather n the dash drying out. What can I use and how often is too often to apply? I have Griots 3 in 1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by '03 Ram 5.9 View Post
    Really I need t move to a better climate!
    What about the interior leather? My concern is the leather n the dash drying out. What can I use and how often is too often to apply? I have Griots 3 in 1
    I really like the Wolfgang learner cleaner and conditioner. Two seperate products so a little more work but I really like the results. You may be able to get away with cleaning good and conditioning twice a year and use an AIO leather products in between, or if it doesn't get real dirty you may be able to wipe down with a very mild APC every month and reapply the conditioner and do the heavy cleaning and conditioning a couple times a year.

Someone on here actually made a device on here for cleaning the underbody out of PVC. It looked like a pretty effective device. I'll see if Incan find the thread. I'm from Michigan so I know your pain when it comes to rust. I was in the tire business and hated snow tire season. I moved to Texas in '84.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

I found this in an old thread which is similar to the home made one I saw on here. He may have patented it and started marketing.

http://www.theunderwasher.com/welcome.html#buy-online
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

I have at least a half dozen or more leather cleaning and conditioning products including Pinnacle and Wolfgang and this is my favorite for newer leather, so easy to use and great results. I apply it with a micro fiber applicator.

Sonax:

https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-leather-foam.html
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Don't they have undercarriage rust proofing where you live?

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend applying a ceramic coating to the paint surface of your new truck. As far as your leather seats go I would give them a good cleaning first and then apply a leather conditioner. Apply the leather conditioner as often as possible. Good luck with your new truck. I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Express and I love the truck.

13. Likes PaulMys, Diner liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast