autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can't remove micromarring

Found that Scholl S40 on LC Crimson Hydrotech worked nicely on soft black Honda paint recently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThepanchMX View Post
    well what do you think, will cquartz finest fill those defects? if that's the case im happy with it, at this point i'm so frustated that i can barely sleep at night, this is not my job is my hobbie, can you figure that out? this was supposed to relax me but is all the oposite, anyway thank i just ordered some sf5800 and 3500
    Learning to correct paint is not an overnight process. But you can do it if you give yourself a little time. It can definitely be frustrating when you're starting out, but don't try to take shortcuts. If you do a half-assed job you'll eventually end up redoing it.

Personally, I would not put a ceramic coat over something I wasn't happy with.

Start by getting some good pads. I'd also suggest Griots Fast Correcting Cream and Perfecting Cream.

In a couple weekends you'll have the car looking the way you want and you'll be happy you put in the effort to do it right.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to be using finest I would be using essence

I could have read your process wrong but it Sounds like however you are going from compound with MF pad right to a non cutting foam pad with a polish. You need a polishing pad to remove the haze from a MF pad and a heavy compound and finishing or waxing pad won’t do it

If you are just using standard waxes or sealants you could try the sonax perfect finish on a foam pad or meguiars d301 on a finishing MF pad as your polish. Hd polish is also good

There are many good polishes some just seem to work better than others on some paints. Sometimes you gotta work it more some Times less

You will get it just takes some time and test spots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I love M205 for polishing harder paints.

Let us know how Menzerna 3500 works for you. I personally always felt it was too oily and have always prefered polishes that wiped away in one swipe without leaving a bunch of residual oils on the paint.

I recommend trying HD Polish+ or Boss Perfecting Cream. HD Polish+ is one of the best polishes I've used on soft paints even though it is technically a SMAT polish like M205. Plus it's an excellent value!

Post Thanks / Like

How many pads would i buy? consider i detail cars maybe 1 or 2 mid size sedan weekly, also i have seen sf 3800, which one is better for this micromorring thing i'm having trouble.
    I like to have at least four. The Blue foam dries overnight, and can be used daily. That being said, I have another set in storage just in case. For polishing/finishing I usually only ever go through two.

I haven't ever used 3800. 3500 has some cut to it, and will help cut out d/a haze that might be left from a heavy cutting process.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, read this article a few times - just in case you wanted to try some advanced techniques with the Meguiar's products you already have.

https://www.autopia.org/forums/polis...-polisher.html

7. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

well what do you think, will cquartz finest fill those defects? if that's the case im happy with it, at this point i'm so frustated that i can barely sleep at night, this is not my job is my hobbie, can you figure that out? this was supposed to relax me but is all the oposite, anyway thank i just ordered some sf5800 and 3500
    lol, I know where you're coming from. But, in the end, you'll learn a lot from this 1st go around or this type of paint. Sorry, I don't have any experience w/ cquartz finest. I've only used McKee's and Gyeon Mohs. Neither of those "filled", so I wouldn't really count on coatings to fill defects, IMO. Others may chime in.
    To a certain extent, I gave up on making my paint 100% perfect and defect free. I realized it wasn't like I'll never touch a coated surface again. My cars are daily drivers and I have one car that's new and a garage queen, but I still drive it on weekends. So eventually or after 2-3 years I'm going to polish it again, depending on condition. I'm going to try to milk it as long as I can to see how long the coatings last. Again, eventually, I'm going to polish it, so even on my newest car, I coated over some small defects that i missed..i.e. small areas with water marks and light scratches. Also, i felt like if I keep picking at it, i'm going to make the paint thinner and thinner each time when I'm going to polish it again after xx years anyways.
    As for using Menzerna 3800. I used it on my G110v2 on speed dial 5.5 using moderate pressure on a 5" black megs foam disc. 5-6 section passes. Make sure to clean your pad often. I used a 11% IPA mixture w/ water and Megs Supreme Shine MF towels as my wipe off.

This IPA mixture per this thread: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...n-results.html

Becareful of MF towels too. The Megs towel did not scratch my soft paint. They'll leave very fine lint though. But I still used it for coatings and the lint seemed to buff out and don't stick in the coatings. Megs MF towels are good w/out breaking the bank. I think you'll go broke if you break out a new quality $10-20 towel after every few wipes like you're supposed to. I have tons of cheap MF towels and a few expensive towels. I'll use the cheap towels(make sure they won't scratch the paint 1st) as my first few wipes until the surface is relatively clean and then I'll finish off using the expensive towels. Anything w/ a final buff I'll use the expensive towels.
    I posted this on another thread, if you have soft paint, make sure your applicator the coatings come w/ don't scratch your paint. Don't expect whatever comes w/ the kit will be ok. I think Gyeon's method is a good, safe way to apply coatings. ultra soft suede applicator towel over a foam block. Again, test a small area first.
    good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP are you sure you have access to cquartz finest? That is a professional coating applied by an authorized installer. Unless it fell off the truck.

Cquarts TiO2 and UK are available to the consumer. But a coating won't fill.

I would recommend watching this video if you have not seen it. Mike covers a lot of information in it.

Also Dan mentioned the Meguiar's foam burgundy foam pad. The old one was not recommended as it left a lot of marring. The new thin burgundy foam disc on the other hand is a better foam pad to use with a compound.

M100 on a microfiber cutting pad is a pretty aggressive combo. You may want to consider another compound like D300 or Ultimate Compound as they are not as aggressive as M100. D300 was designed to work with the microfiber cutting pads.

Have you followed up with M205 on a Meguiar's yellow polishing pad to see if the DA haze/micro marring from M100 is removed?

If you have not read this article on the Meguiar's DAMF system then I recommend that you do.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...5gkIipizepj.97

10. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was having the same issues as you. UP and m205 were both marring the crap out of my paint and I couldn’t figure out why. Varying speeds, pressures, passes, and I couldn’t get it right. It was really frustrating, but using a DAT polish honestly made finishing the paint down the way I wanted it to look effortless. I’m sure that your menzerna polishes will do the same for you.

I was really skeptical about the expensive stuff (pinnacle, scholls, menzerna) being worth the price, but it definitely is. I’ve since used m205 on family members cars with no issues, but it’s not worth the headache to try and make it work on paint that doesn’t like SMAT products.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    To the OP are you sure you have access to cquartz finest? That is a professional coating applied by an authorized installer. Unless it fell off the truck.

Cquarts TiO2 and UK are available to the consumer. But a coating won't fill.

I would recommend watching this video if you have not seen it. Mike covers a lot of information in it.

Also Dan mentioned the Meguiar's foam burgundy foam pad. The old one was not recommended as it left a lot of marring. The new thin burgundy foam disc on the other hand is a better foam pad to use with a compound.

M100 on a microfiber cutting pad is a pretty aggressive combo. You may want to consider another compound like D300 or Ultimate Compound as they are not as aggressive as M100. D300 was designed to work with the microfiber cutting pads.

Have you followed up with M205 on a Meguiar's yellow polishing pad to see if the DA haze/micro marring from M100 is removed?

If you have not read this article on the Meguiar's DAMF system then I recommend that you do.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...5gkIipizepj.97
    Yes, i have it from a friend who got in some trouble and ended up closing his shop here in México, so he had some products left and i picked it up, he can't help me because he is not here anymore.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast