autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Solved My Karcher issue

My old Karcher PW lasted approx 8 years. It owed me nothing. Finally the motor would continuously run when you released the handle. It also lacked a spool to roll up the hose when done, and I was envious of the new models that had that feature. So I bought a new one and sold my old one. The new one is a K5.540 that is slightly more powerful than my old one and, of course, had a spool. It's not perfect of course and my biggest beef is that the hose can kink too easily in my opinion. But, in general I've been very, very happy with it. Even though the power rating is only 100 psi more, it feels much more powerful than the old one. Life was great.

Until a few weeks ago.

Now, please bear with me for a minute, because my procedure using the PW was key to it lasting a long time I believe. For instance, my start up procedure is as follows:
    1) Connect hose
    2) Turn hose on
    3) Squeeze handle a few seconds to purge air
    4) Plug in PW and push button on plug to turn on

To store it, I always did the following:

1) Unplug the PW
    2) Disconnect the hose
    3) Squeeze handle to remove any water (if you fail to do this, it's much harder to manipulate the hose AND more importantly, it's hard on the pump to keep it pressurized)
    4) Roll up hose

A few weeks ago while using it, the pump kept going after I released the handle and would not shut off even if I turned the power switch on the front to the "off" position, just like my old one had. It started doing it intermittently and then would do it more often (maybe 1/3 of the time). I figured in time it would get to 100% of the time, so I called Karcher customer service for Canada.

Can I just say their customer service rocks! Yes, initially, I was on hold for quite a while (maybe 10 minutes) until a representative got on the phone. Once she did however, she immediately advised me that she would send me out a brand new one to replace mine, and, I did NOT have to return the old one (I was thinking I'd have it fixed locally and keep it as a backup). It's called their "Rapid Exchange Program".

This is where things get interesting and why I wrote this thread. Thanks for being patient up to this point. My replacement was being shipped and I was still using the new one. I followed my start up procedure as usual, but, when I squeezed the trigger momentarily like I always do, it was continuing to sputter with air coming out of the nozzle. I normally would have stopped squeezing the trigger regardless of it still sputtering and would have gone on to use it. Not this time. This time, I held the trigger for as long as it took for the sputtering to stop. I think it took as long as 10 seconds. I wasn't sure whether it would make a difference or not.

Guess what? It made ALL difference! (I guess there's an advantage to trying to light your cigar one handed while you're purging your power washer, LOL).

It did not fail (by that I mean keep running when I released the trigger). The next time I went to use it, I also made sure I depressed the trigger as long as it took to completely purge the air. Once again, flawless (excuse the pun) performance. I started to think I was on to something. What I did not do was to not purge it once to see if I could re-create the failure. I wasn't looking to do that to the machine. I have used it now at least 10 times and not once has it failed. Each and every time I take as long as it needs during the purge phase.

I am convinced that I am on to something, so I called Karcher back (my replacement had arrived by then) and advised them of my finding. The female was quite excited and was going to tell her supervisor and all of her co-workers. I hope she makes "employee of the month". What a win-win. Who wants to deal with the BS of having to call, etc, even in spite of the excellent and no hesitation unit replacement when all one has to do is slightly modify their start up procedure to ensure a perfectly running power washer. Can you imagine the money it's costing Karcher to send out all of those units?

I actually feel a bit guilty that I've got this brand new unit sitting in a box, but it's my backup now in case I do something stupid with my current one (not out of the question, LOL).

Anyway, if any of you are struggling with a Karcher power washer that is staying on after releasing the handle, try what I suggest.

Cheers,
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Solved My Karcher issue

well played Richie!... filed in the memory bank

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Solved My Karcher issue

You sold a broken pressure washer?

Cliffs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bodidly View Post
    well played Richie!... filed in the memory bank
    Thanks! Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    You sold a broken pressure washer?

Cliffs?
    Dude, I come from a GM dealership family; I can sell anything, LOL. I sold it on Kijiji (Canadian equivalent to Craig's List) for cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

How's the electric Karcher work for throwing foam. I have an older gas Karcher and I believe my neighbours don't like it when it's fired up on a early Saturday morning. Been looking at that unit for a while now.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Nice post Richy. My old electric used to do that from time to time. I would get through 2 wheels and then it would start acting up. Most of the time, it was as simple as turning it off, removing the spray tip and letting the air purge for 30 seconds or so.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I purge mine 100% Every time I use it. You will ruin the pump if you dont. Stick something in the handle and just let it run for a bit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    How's the electric Karcher work for throwing foam. I have an older gas Karcher and I believe my neighbours don't like it when it's fired up on a early Saturday morning. Been looking at that unit for a while now.

In a word: fantastic! Now, having said that, I strongly believe that the type of soap is paramount as is the quantity of it. I've had mine so long I don't recall what make it is, but I think most of them are on par with each other. Here is a shot when I used less soap than I should have, but even so, it turned out OK

https://i.imgur.com/CAihe7n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    Nice post Richy. My old electric used to do that from time to time. I would get through 2 wheels and then it would start acting up. Most of the time, it was as simple as turning it off, removing the spray tip and letting the air purge for 30 seconds or so.
    Unlike for young girls, purging seems to be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    I purge mine 100% Every time I use it. You will ruin the pump if you dont. Stick something in the handle and just let it run for a bit
    Yes, see my politically incorrect answer above, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Richy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    Thanks Richy

You're quite welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast