autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clearcoat spots (?)

Hi Mike
    I recently purchased a new car and it had been sitting in the showroom for almost a year. I was so thrilled with the purchase I didn't think of feeling the paint... since it was brand new. Well as I was drying the first time I noticed there was a huge amount of contaminants on/in the paint. First step that I thought of is break out the clay bar. I would say that removed most of it.
    Then I noticed at certain angles under the light it looks like there are small circular spots that I can't get out. My laundry list of products I have tried is: P21s paintwork cleanser, Meguiars Mirror glaze 6 and Meguiars Swirlx. I do apply it all by hand.
    I have thought about taking it to a professional but I wanted to try and take care of it myself first.
    Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clearcoat spots (?)

It's hard to guess what the spots are that you're describing based on your description. Could be chemical etching from industrial fallout, water spots, overspray, solvent pop, or any number of other possibilities. Can you post some pics of the damage you are seeing? Since it seems like your claybar process has removed most of the contamination the spots you are seeing could be pitting from a chemical reaction between the paint and whatever was previously stuck to it.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope these come out well enough. It kept giving a reflection from the light or the window. It's those little spots but they are only noticeable at the right angle and lighting. It seems almost like spots in the clear if that is possible. Before I did the clay there was so much contaminant on the car it felt like sandpaper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clearcoat spots (?)-img_1634-jpg   Clearcoat spots (?)-img_1633-jpg   Clearcoat spots (?)-img_1635-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for adding the pics. I'm just looking at this on my phone so kinda hard to tell. The only thing I'm seeing is marring caused by your claybar process, which is quite normal. Machine polishing the paint will completely fix the issue and restore the surface.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I have never really used a machine before except for the cheap random orbitals from the parts stores.. Guess I need to start some reading and learning here. I think I saw one that was for beginners. It was difficult trying to get this pics without it being a garage reflection. lol

6. Thanks Crispy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can do small spots all the time.

You need a polisher for 2' x 2' sections to be effective.

Megs Ultimate Compound and Ulitimate Polish on a soft microfiber pad (they are blue about 5 ") work great.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

8. Thanks TomGT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like some water spots too. I can't see the picture real well either.

Just looked again, definitely water spots. You can do it by hand using Crispy's method. Personally I would spend the money and get a machine and a couple pads, it will save you a lot of work.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

10. Thanks TomGT thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually did buy the Griots Garage polisher and some pads. It came in time for me to go out of town before using it.... didn't even get the chance to take it out of the box. Now I have something to look forward to when I get back home. I read through the "Heres what you need to get into machine polishing" and bought the foam pads. Hopefully I will have some time soon to try it out. I also got the showcar shine book to help me out. This is really going to be the first time I have gone all out with my car. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same polisher and I really like it. I didn't have the best luck with their pads and just switched to the Lake Country thin pro pads but as long as you take your time, the Griot's pads do work, I just prefer the others. Just remember, always start with the least amount of correction with a test spot, then go more aggressive if needed. MP has some great machine polish videos on here as well. Good luck!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone.. Thanks for all the comments. I finally got a chance to tryout my polisher and it looks like my spots are gone.. or most of the way gone. I ended up using the waxing (red) and finishing (black) 6"pads that came with it. I did buy the smaller plate and pads but I was getting antsy to try my new toy out since it had been in box teasing me.
    I did the hood with Meguiars SwirlX and red pad on setting 3 then finished with Meguiars cleaner wax 6 on the black pad setting 2. This was my first time ever using a machine so I'm sure it could have been done better but I am timid when it comes to my paint. Didn't have my daughters car available for a tryout. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast