autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just had my first paying customer...here's what I learned

This weekend was awesome! I had my first paying customer. She purchased an interior cleaning w/ basic wash focusing on stain removal. I charged her $120 and quoted the job time @ 4 hrs (I thought I was being conservative with the time). I was so focused on "getting paid" that did not do an honest assessment of my skill and the level of time I needed to perform the service with that level of dirty and grim. After everything was said and done it took me a little less 7 hours, but the goal was met: Interior was clean w/ no spots. It exceeded her expectations, and she was very pleased. However, I know I could do it faster and better. I still have a lot to learn w/ my technique.

What did I learn?

The definition of "EXTREMLY" soiled.

What will I do in the future?
    Be honest with the customer and upcharge excessively dirty vehicles

My questions for the group:

What did you learn about servicing your first paying customer?

What vacuuming techniques do you use to save time?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I just had my first paying customer...here's what I learned

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColor View Post
    This weekend was awesome! I had my first paying customer. She purchased an interior cleaning w/ basic wash focusing on stain removal. I charged her $120 and quoted the job time @ 4 hrs (I thought I was being conservative with the time). I was so focused on "getting paid" that did not do an honest assessment of my skill and the level of time I needed to perform the service with that level of dirty and grim. After everything was said and done it took me a little less 7 hours, but the goal was met: Interior was clean w/ no spots. It exceeded her expectations, and she was very pleased. However, I know I could do it faster and better. I still have a lot to learn w/ my technique.

What did I learn?

The definition of "EXTREMLY" soiled.

What will I do in the future?
    Be honest with the customer and upcharge excessively dirty vehicles

My questions for the group:

What did you learn about servicing your first paying customer?

What vacuuming techniques do you use to save time?

I'm not a pro retailer BUT I do know the right tools for the job can make a big difference. I think most of these guys use steam cleaners and extractors? You might want to invest

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    I'm not a pro retailer BUT I do know the right tools for the job can make a big difference. I think most of these guys use steam cleaners and extractors? You might want to invest
    Absolutely agree. My budget is limited at the moment, but getting a better extractor is in the future. I used a rug doctor, It worked, but it took time, as I had to blot with a rag as well. I have a Mcculloch Steamer, but I didn't use...need more practice with it.

To vacuum I used a Shop-Vac. I struggled to loosen the dirt under the seats and other nooks and crannies. Otherwise in the open areas I brushed is up with a stiff bristled brush and it worked great.

Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn't expect to make a killing on your first few jobs, lot of learning curve. I can't think of a job I've taken on that didn't involve at least 30min to an hour of extra work either because of vehicle condition or my own standards of quality.

Vacuuming is vacuuming; don't overthink it. A brush or compressed air can help knock stuff loose a little better than the vac tool itself.

The key is your customer is happy and will likely return and refer others. Til then develop your routine and expand your tools/knowledge so you can justify a higher charge next time.

7 hours is a LOT for an interior and basic wash. My guess is you did a lot of going back over stuff because you haven't perfected your process yet. Wheels first, glass for last. Start high in the interior and work down so you catch drips. Organize products and tools by usage in groups and keep them close so you don't have to keep running back and forth. Shave a minute or two off here and 2-3 off there, before you know it you're adding up an hour saved all together.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcat9 View Post
    You shouldn't expect to make a killing on your first few jobs, lot of learning curve. I can't think of a job I've taken on that didn't involve at least 30min to an hour of extra work either because of vehicle condition or my own standards of quality.

Vacuuming is vacuuming; don't overthink it. A brush or compressed air can help knock stuff loose a little better than the vac tool itself.

The key is your customer is happy and will likely return and refer others. Til then develop your routine and expand your tools/knowledge so you can justify a higher charge next time.

7 hours is a LOT for an interior and basic wash. My guess is you did a lot of going back over stuff because you haven't perfected your process yet. Wheels first, glass for last. Start high in the interior and work down so you catch drips. Organize products and tools by usage in groups and keep them close so you don't have to keep running back and forth. Shave a minute or two off here and 2-3 off there, before you know it you're adding up an hour saved all together.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    I started it @ 6pm, in hour into the job and I was in the dark w/ only a flashlight. That slowed me down A LOT. But you're right, I was back tracking a lot.

At the end though, I was exhausted and she was very happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColor View Post
    Absolutely agree. My budget is limited at the moment, but getting a better extractor is in the future. I used a rug doctor, It worked, but it took time, as I had to blot with a rag as well. I have a Mcculloch Steamer, but I didn't use...need more practice with it.

To vacuum I used a Shop-Vac. I struggled to loosen the dirt under the seats and other nooks and crannies. Otherwise in the open areas I brushed is up with a stiff bristled brush and it worked great.
    What's the rug doctor a small extractors? I'd like to get into something for interiors but not for 1000 bucks I only do my car. Right now I just vacuum and use spray cleaner

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bissell little green machine. Not the best, but for the cost a decent starter tool

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    What's the rug doctor a small extractors? I'd like to get into something for interiors but not for 1000 bucks I only do my car. Right now I just vacuum and use spray cleaner
    Click on the link: Rug Doctor

I got it from Wal-Mart for $125. The head is difficult to maneuver, but it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to detail with only a few basic tools like a vacuum, brushes, and some microfiber towels isn't going to work very well with all the different types of textiles in a modern vehicle. Some of the carpet pile designs are literally like Velco with pet hair and pine needles. For the first several years I was always trying to figure out what I struggled with and then research tools and techniques to eliminate these issues. I feel like I have a pretty good system now. I can usually detail the an average 4-door sedan interior in about 2 hours. Unless there is pet hair, that will always take longer to deal with and I just charge accordingly in those situations.

My interior toolkit is as follows:
    30gal air compressor
    Tornador blow out gun
    Standard air gun
    VaporChief 100 steamer
    Shop Vac
    Mytee HP60 extractor
    Various boars hair brushes
    Rubber pet hair brush
    Various cleaning chemicals
    Microfiber towels
    Glass towels

My process is basically pull everything out that isn't bolted down (matts, cup holder inserts, etc.), quick initial vac, blow out under the seats, tornador agitate all fabrics, final vac, and then work section by section cleaning everything within reach with all my tools within reach at my side. If I spend about 15-20 mins on each seating area that's about 2 hours for the complete job including time setting up tools, towels, etc. Then I do windows last.

Also, some vehicles are just so neglected that no matter what it will be impossible to achieve your idealized state of perfection without resorting to restorative measures like carpet or leather re-dying. As you gain more experience you'll be able to better estimate the severity of neglect on each job and set appropriate expectations with your client.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Brushing the carpet before the vacuum can make a big difference in time. The vacuum will have a much easier time getting the crap out when it has already been loosened. I also try to vacuum later on in the detail process cause when I didnt I would always loosen some stuff and of course it falls on your freshly vacuumed carpet (Specially a black carpet)
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast