autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tornador Black starts with low power, spins up to full than drops again

Wondering if anyone has had any issues with their Tornador Black. I have a Husky 8 Gal / 4.0 CFM / 125 PSI / 1.5 HP air-compressor running my Tornador Black.

Has been working fine for two years. Yesterday while working on a car, the Tornador would start off with low power, then ramp up to normal speed, then 30 ms later it drops down to low power.

Also, it takes a while for liquid to start moving through the tool.

I cleaned the heck out of the Tornador and blew some soapy water through it. I'm wondering if there is an issue with my compressor or my Tornador.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tornador Black starts with low power, spins up to full than drops again

I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was the compressor side of it.

I'm not sure how often you use it, but that has to be a lot of work for that little compressor.

But then again the spinner tube doohickey could be clogged causing the week flow.

Take the air blow out nozzle and blow back through the tip in the opposite direction of the normal flow.

I'm not sure if it safe to do with it fully assembled but I had a similar flow issue and that corrected it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mantilgh, you may be right. The pressure gauges drops like crazy when I squeeze the trigger. I also noticed I didn't have the valves closed all the way for max PSI (which is about 100 on this compressor). Also, the oil in it is about two years old.... yikes! I will change that tomorrow. I'll keep running some distilled water through the Tornador and give it a good cleaning.
    You are right, I haven't used either in a long time. Our last detail job in NH was last November, so when we got to AZ last April the spinny thingy was locked up tight.

Post Thanks / Like

Partially clogged or leaking hose was the probalem when mine did this. I bought a new hose and it was back to full blast.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to tell fairly easily if it's the tool or the compressor. Just put a pressure gauge (If you don't have one, they're available at automotive paint stores for not too much $) between the air hose and the tool.

If it's the tool, don't you think you're going to need something stronger than soapy or distilled water to 'ungum" it? I'm sure there are cleaners that will breakdown whatever solution you're using in the tool better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    You should be able to tell fairly easily if it's the tool or the compressor. Just put a pressure gauge (If you don't have one, they're available at automotive paint stores for not too much $) between the air hose and the tool.

If it's the tool, don't you think you're going to need something stronger than soapy or distilled water to 'ungum" it? I'm sure there are cleaners that will breakdown whatever solution you're using in the tool better.
    I would've thought so too. But , in my case, it was just 1 specific hose. That hose worked fine for other tools but the Tornador sputtered. A different hose has solved it, for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post

The only difference is that I used 4 to 1 APC vs 10:1. So the ph bal may have been off. The Pinnacle APC has a citrus smell, so perhaps it got a bit sticky.

I will also replace the hose as Kirk suggests. The hose I have is a PIA, and tangles a lot.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Tornador Black starts with low power, spins up to full than drops again

Update: did an oil change and got a new hose. What I’m seeing is the PSI on the output is at about 100... the tool runs great for a few seconds but then spins down in power. The output gauge drops to 60 PSI.

I noticed an oily buildup on the cooling fins of the compressor. My suspicion is while the compressor works, it’s not working efficiently.

I’m going to try the tool on another compressor to rule it out. If it’s not the tool, I may buy for a HF 21 gal with 4.7 CFM @ 90 PSI unless someone has a better suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Update: did an oil change and got a new hose. What I’m seeing is the PSI on the output is at about 100... the tool runs great for a few seconds but then spins down in power. The output gauge drops to 60 PSI.

I noticed an oily buildup on the cooling fins of the compressor. My suspicion is while the compressor works, it’s not working efficiently.

I’m going to try the tool on another compressor to rule it out. If it’s not the tool, I may buy for a HF 21 gal with 4.7 CFM @ 90 PSI unless someone has a better suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    The HF compressor will last about a year. You can spend a little more and get a Kobalt. My Kobalt has lasted a year and a half so far. Be sure to get a water and oil filter to put on it. The tanks rust from atmospheric moisture in the air and then will sand blast your paint with rust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    The HF compressor will last about a year. You can spend a little more and get a Kobalt. My Kobalt has lasted a year and a half so far. Be sure to get a water and oil filter to put on it. The tanks rust from atmospheric moisture in the air and then will sand blast your paint with rust.
    Which Kobalt did you get? I see the 20 Gal only does 3CFM, Tornador needs 4.5 CFM. So the only one is a jump from $179 to $499 for the 30 Gal:
    Air Delivery SCFM @ 90PSI (CFM) 5.5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast