autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Microfibre cloth lifespan?

Good evening,
    so ive amassed quite a few microfibre cloths over the last few years and some feel noticeably rough compared to some of the newer ones.

How often should I be replacing these cloths to prevent damage to the finish?

many thanks,
    Mac

2004 Audi S4 - Brilliant Red

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfibre cloth lifespan?

Use a microfiber rejuvenator cleaner. This will deep clean your mf and get them softer.

Rotate them after every wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MacS4 View Post
    Good evening,
    so ive amassed quite a few microfibre cloths over the last few years and some feel noticeably rough compared to some of the newer ones.

many thanks,
    Mac

There is a misconception that "soft = gentle" with respect to MF towels and paint. Nothing could be further from the truth. Very soft, fluffy MF that has embedded particles within the woven yarn is far more perilous to paint than WW or stiffer, flatter MF that is clean and devoid of embedded particles. You need to inspect and clean MF carefully and be aware that certain contaminants might be hidden and not obvious to touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Good evening,

many thanks,
    Mac

That is a great question. I too have a few MF towels starting to get a little rough to the touch. Not bad but beginning to notice. They are about 3 yrs old and several washes later. I just replenished my supply of MF towels and usually donate them along with any of my products I put in the sample section when I want to get rid of some products. IMO the MF towels are still good, but not great. Enough for me to replenish my supply.

Just like any other Detail prouct a MF towel is a wear item that will eventually needs to be replaced.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

what you use to wash them and how you do it makes all the difference. if wash and dried correctly, they should last easily a year or longer. the best thing to do is buy a few dozen so your not constantly using the same ones over and over. once they start to degrade (not feel /perform the same) and you notice they start to scratch/marr, lint, etc. is to demote them to engine, wheels, and other less important tasks...

Mike Phillips

I've seen marketing copy state that Microfiber towels can be washed and re-used up to 500 times.

I've never seen a single person actually count though.

You know, keep a notepad by the washing machine and dryer and make tick marks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I've seen marketing copy state that Microfiber towels can be washed and re-used up to 500 times.

I've never seen a single person actually count though.

You know, keep a notepad by the washing machine and dryer and make tick marks.

According to the tick marks on my washer and dryer; I have washed my MF towels 501 Times! LOL! I like to order more MF Towels when I feel they start to get old. It just happened recently. BTW, my significant other says if I put 1 more tick on our washer and dryer she's gonna kick me out and stay in the doghouse!...LOL
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Microfibre cloth lifespan?

I still have towels from my initial product orders when I started my business 7 years ago. I use a bucket system for chemicals. 1 ONRWW, APC, Dressing. I inspect the towels when they come out the wash. If it looks spotless it will go into the ONRWW to wash cars. If it's stained it goes into the APC to clean interiors and hopefully the APC will help brighten it back up. Somewhere in between it goes into the dressing. If something looks beyond hope I will toss it into a scrap bin to use as an oil rag or something else nasty that I will toss after.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    what you use to wash them and how you do it makes all the difference. if wash and dried correctly, they should last easily a year or longer. the best thing to do is buy a few dozen so your not constantly using the same ones over and over. once they start to degrade (not feel /perform the same) and you notice they start to scratch/marr, lint, etc. is to demote them to engine, wheels, and other less important tasks...
    Thanks for all the replies, I've probably got 2 dozen cloths but haven't graded them for various uses. The oldest ones are around 7 years old now and are exclusively used to wash the cars in all seasons.

I'll try a rejuvenating wash and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers all!
    2004 Audi S4 Cabrio - Brilliant Red
    2005 Volvo XC90 - Dark Green
    Quote Originally Posted by Every teacher and mentor since 1986
    He should know better by now...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies, I've probably got 2 dozen cloths but haven't graded them for various uses. The oldest ones are around 7 years old now and are exclusively used to wash the cars in all seasons.

I'll try a rejuvenating wash and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers all!
    don't forget to do an extra rinse cycle, some like to use vinegar but i don't find it necessary when using a microfiber detergent. i wash in warm water with a mf detergent (no fabric softener), with an extra rinse cycle, and then put them in the dryer (after i snap them out) on the lowest dry setting (no dryer sheet)...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast