autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A Story - How an Old Client reacted to my New Prices

Those of us who do this for a living all know how sensitive a subject it is to increase prices. We're scared to offend old customers. We're scared we are going to push away new customers. We're scared of a lot of stuff!

In the past I've struggled with this, but have in recent years become more confident in our pricing, more confident in the quality of our services (we were always good, but sometimes didn't back that up with how we charged and would back down and discount if someone complained about pricing).

This video is just a short story of what happened when a customer from 5 years ago called me the other week to get pricing on new car protection for her new Corolla. Take a look to see how this played out:

https://youtu.be/oruVEzPtQIQ
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Story - How an Old Client reacted to my New Prices

I didn't watch the whole video,I stopped watching at 3900.00 if your getting that for a vehicle godless you guys attracting clients who would pay for such a service.

Post Thanks / Like

As GSKR said, if you have a client with a corolla willing to spend that on a detail good for you. Really. There are some cars that may warrant a $4k detail but I can't see a new Corolla being one of them. Say the car left the lot for what $23k and loses $3k the minute it leaves the lot. Now it's a $20k car and to spend 25% of its value on a detail is hard to comprehend.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, THANKS FOR THE VIDEO!!

It reinforces my pricing. I started charging a minimum of $300 for my one steps for a small car since the beginning. It just proves people are willing to bite for quality work.

Again, great video.

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you and your sis bro. I remember when I was in my teens and charging damn near nothing for a detail. Now as I'm in my late 30's I charge a lot. The people that appreciate you and what you do for them will continue to do business with you.
    Regardless of what people think of how much a vehicle costs is irrelevant. The work is the same.
    Again, congrats Will and I wish you continued success.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    I didn't watch the whole video,I stopped watching at 3900.00 if your getting that for a vehicle godless you guys attracting clients who would pay for such a service.
    Well that was kind of the point of the video in whole which is what i covered in what I said after that. It talked about how we went from attracting people who would only pay a couple hundred to now who will pay for something to that extent.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    As GSKR said, if you have a client with a corolla willing to spend that on a detail good for you. Really. There are some cars that may warrant a $4k detail but I can't see a new Corolla being one of them. Say the car left the lot for what $23k and loses $3k the minute it leaves the lot. Now it's a $20k car and to spend 25% of its value on a detail is hard to comprehend.

ScottH
    I think the point is kinda being missed. No, a 25-30k Corolla isn't my typical 4 figure job. Usually people who pay that much bring in a vehicle worth 60-80k on average. However, to THIS lady, that Corolla was worth more to her that what a car 2-3x as much is worth to many of the people who buy it. Its not just about what she was willing to spend, its about how clients who are really in your corner will continue to support you as you grow. She asked what I'd recommend for a new car, and I told her what we typically do for a new car, being 100% honest. Like i said in the video, I didn't expect her to say yes but I figured I owned her at least an honest answer and figured if she turned it down, I could just say ok, we can get you on a wash and seal schedule a couple of times a year.

However, she said yes. It was her first new car in over 20 years and she's the type of person to hang onto a vehicle for a decade or more. To her, it was worth the investment for her own satisfaction and peace of mind with having a new car. If I'd taken the mind set of "This car isn't worth putting clear bra and a ceramic coating on" I would have short changed her in what she wanted and I would have short changed myself in what I could make on the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    Dude, THANKS FOR THE VIDEO!!

It reinforces my pricing. I started charging a minimum of $300 for my one steps for a small car since the beginning. It just proves people are willing to bite for quality work.

Again, great video.
    Whats up man, thanks for the feedback I do appreciate it! I know I'm kinda putting myself out there by speaking so candidly about what we're charging but I think there are guys out there who need to hear it. I use to have the mind set of I'm the detailer for everyone, but I've now realized I'm not. I have my niche, my specialty market that I go after and I serve that market with flying colors. It doesn't make the work I do or the people I work for any better than the others, but it's what works for ME and that is my emphasis, find out the market that works for YOU and kill it.

Again, really glad the video helped you out man. Questions/comments etc are definitely welcome.
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Good for you and your sis bro. I remember when I was in my teens and charging damn near nothing for a detail. Now as I'm in my late 30's I charge a lot. The people that appreciate you and what you do for them will continue to do business with you.
    Regardless of what people think of how much a vehicle costs is irrelevant. The work is the same.
    Again, congrats Will and I wish you continued success.
    Thanks a million man. We were the same! $40 for a mobile wash and wax and (what we thought) was a full interior at the time lol. Divide that between two people and the fact we were not efficient at ALL and we were making below minimum wage. We did however gain experience and learned a lot of lessons...and in all honestly really enjoyed doing it as well.

Now we have a shop (and actually own the unit), we're priced according to the level of work we deliver and we focus on paint corrections, new car preps, ceramic coatings and clear bra. I still will rock out a wash and seal or a full interior if someone wants it, but I still charge accordingly to those...and those in all honesty are not my GOAL markets. It took a lot of things and analyzing of ourselves and our business for my sis and I to finally take the leap of faith in sayings hey...this is what we want to go after, but it's worked.

Glad you're charging what you need to now that you're an "old man" in the game with all the experience and know how lol. Thanks again for the feedback man.
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Oh My! This is some CRAZY stuff. More power to you if you can get customers to pay that kind of money. For me though, the word "Ethical" bobs up a few times.

Post Thanks / Like

I just noticed where you are from though in Gilbert, AZ. I thought you were just from basic midwestern town.
    Being out there is a whole different clientele. There's plenty of people that will pay that kind of money out there.

Post Thanks / Like

It's awesome that this customer wasn't horrified with your new prices but rather thought it was appropriate and still scheduled the work. It's awesome to hear stories like this.

Hope things are well with you man! Regards to Dani bro!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast