autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

How to machine wax your car using the Griot's Garage 6" DA Orbital Polisher

How to machine wax your car using the Griot's Garage 6" DA Orbital Polisher

The below was originally posted in 2016 in post #6 of this article,

How to use Griot's Garage to detail your car - A detail job Richard Griot would be proud of!

Step 6: The Sealing Step with Griot's Best Show Wax

Products used

• Griot's Garage Best of Show Wax
    • Griot's Garage 5.5" Red Foam Waxing Pad
    • Speed Setting - 2.0

If you look closely you can see a thin film of wax on the paint.

Machine Waxing Technique

The machine waxing technique is nothing like the compounding or polishing steps. At this point all you're trying to do is spread a thin uniform layer or wax over the paint.

Work large sections
    You DON'T have to work small sections like you do when compounding and polishing. In fact, you work as large of a section as you can reach as long as you can see that you still have enough product on the surface to spread out via the polisher.

The big idea
    The big idea behind machine waxing is to remove your hand from the process and thus pressure points from your fingertips. You're also able to work faster and do better work. The human hand can never compete with a machine applied wax.

Allow the wax to dry to a haze
    Before removing the wax allow it to dry to a haze. In most cases after applying the wax, you can start removing the wax where you first started out when applying it and then simply,

Follow your path of travel

The Griot's Best of Show Wax dries quickly when applied correctly and applied correctly means a thin layer.

Roof is Finished

Here's the results after the roof was compounded, polished and waxes.

I explain why to knock out the roof first, (before doing the rest of the car), all the way from start to finish here,

Knock out painted roofs first, then tackle the rest of the car...

Hood and Trunk Lid Finished

Here's the results after the hood and trunk lid were compounded, polished and waxed.

All that's left now are the 6 side panels.

Autogeek Cover-up Towels

Horizontal surfaces are finished, before I tackle the vertical panels I placed Autogeek Cover-up Towels over the waxed surface to protect them from any compound or polish splatter as I work around the sides of the car.

I cover this technique and why to do it on page 118 of my how-to book The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine

Sorry... no pictures of any of the compounding, polishing or waxing being performed to the horizontal surfaces or the vertical surfaces. I detailed this car a few days before Team Autogeek left for SEMA 2016 and all staff was busy with normal job duties.

Here's the final results or what I call...

The Beauty Shots!

On Autogeek.com

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

Griots Garage 5.5 inch Red Foam Waxing Pad

Griots Garage 6 inch Surface Prep Pad

Griots Garage Best of Show Wax 16 oz

Mike Phillips

Re: How to machine wax your car using the Griot's Garage 6" DA Orbital Polisher

Continued....

Probably the most valuable article and video I've ever made as far as helping others to avoid stupid mistakes and keeping their car's paint looking great!

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

And the above is just the video, click the link and READ the entire article.

Post Thanks / Like

Great info.

So you're not doing 'section passes' but how many passes (over the same spot) or so do you do when applying wax/sealant ?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by howardm4 View Post
    Great info.

So you're not doing 'section passes' but how many passes (over the same spot) or so do you do when applying wax/sealant ?

Make 2-3 passes over each section to ensure uniform coverage then move on...

I show this numerous videos and even on our TV show...

Keep it simple but be thorough...

Also, you don't need or want high speed. On the Griot's, the 3 setting is good. You only need a little pad rotation as this makes moving the pad over the surface easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing car looking amazing!!! Love the write-ups on Griots products. I'm almost exclusively a Griots user (being 20 minutes from Tacoma doesn't hurt). All of their products just ...work, and very well too! Their AIO (One Step Sealant), even with a MF pad or a White BOSS pad just dosent have quite the bite I need so I've been mixing in about a third of Fast Correcting Cream. Some side-by-side testing with D151 and HD Speed shows that it does have a good bit of correcting ability and finishes off very nice. I know mixing isnt really recommended but it seems to be working very well and leaves a great finish that seems to be holding up very nice on my test mule. Can't wait for a true AIO from them ( Jeff Brown......wink wink).

Mike