autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

GG 6 inch problems

Hey everyone.
    I am having some trouble with paint correction.
    So I had some experience with Rupes 2nd gen 21 polisher for some time. Then i got my self a Griots garage 6 inch polisher back home and I cant figure out where is the problem.
    So I was working with Rupes on BMW and LEXUS cars, a lot. With Rupes yellow/green/blue pads and Menzerna compound and of course Rupes bigfoot. Now I am working with tha same pads (tried even Meguiars MF pads) and Meguiars M105 and Griots garage 6 inch. I cant make it to cut.. Like it does take out the small swirls, but almost none of the scratches, that I would of compounded out with Rupes. I could not compound P3000 sand paper marks, with rupes u might get 2000 out.
    Now I cant understand am I doing something wrong, the M105 does not like my polishing technique, or is it the machine. I understand GG 6 insh has a lot less throw, but everyone is talking (in US forums) that it is a good machine. So far I dont think so. Or just maybe it has something to do, that I have power reducer, as I have 220V sockets but machine needs 120V (as US product).
    I might get some Menzerna compound and give it a try.
    Also wanted to know is there any point of buying Rupes knockoffs or is it worth the money to get Rupes Bigfoot.. As I live in EU, I am looking at some 21mm throw machines which area lot cheaper, but dont want to get in the same problems again

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG 6 inch problems

I have a GG6 but have not used a Rupes machine. I have some issues with M105 and the cut isn't what I would expect. I've had much better luck with Menzerna and even Griot's polishes than with M105 both in terms of ease of use and cut with my GG6.

Here's an example of cutting on my GG6: My wife came home yesterday very upset about some scratches in her car. This is on a 2014 Boxster, which is hard paint. I used Menzerna 300 with a Rupes 4" blue pad. After 2 passes on speed 4 the scratches were 100% gone. I followed with Menz 400/green pad and 3500/yellow pad. I likely could have removed these with 400 and a blue pad.

2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    I have a GG6 but have not used a Rupes machine. I have some issues with M105 and the cut isn't what I would expect. I've had much better luck with Menzerna and even Griot's polishes than with M105 both in terms of ease of use and cut with my GG6.

Here's an example of cutting on my GG6: My wife came home yesterday very upset about some scratches in her car. This is on a 2014 Boxster, which is hard paint. I used Menzerna 300 with a Rupes 4" blue pad. After 2 passes on speed 4 the scratches were 100% gone. I followed with Menz 400/green pad and 3500/yellow pad. I likely could have removed these with 400 and a blue pad.

my M105 is going to end soon, so I might try this cheaper solution, buying menzern compound. Thanks for the reply 😊

Post Thanks / Like

The M105 should do the job. How are priming the pad? What is your pressure like? How many passes? What speed on the dial? How fast are you moving the polisher across the paint?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    The M105 should do the job. How are priming the pad? What is your pressure like? How many passes? What speed on the dial? How fast are you moving the polisher across the paint?
    Hey. Not a big fan of priming pads, when it is new, I put twice more compound, rub it in then touch the surface I will work on, start with speed 2, spread out that compound. I always work until the product become a bit dry (at least with Megs) usually 4-6 passes on one spot, speed 4-5, when not spinning 6. About pressure I tried everything medium, heavy and very heavy, also moving speed 1-2inch in a second, even tried hearing up the spot as far as I was brave enough. Usually I do one pass then check my progress, then go another one same way more on the spots ai need mote job.
    I have been working pretty much but have never faced situation that I can not compound P3000 grit sand paper. It was a really hot day, I was working a in a shade maybe the product dried faster than ai could work, but I dont know. I was working on one BMW during the winter and the results were simular.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Parslina View Post
    Hey. Not a big fan of priming pads, when it is new, I put twice more compound, rub it in then touch the surface I will work on, start with speed 2, spread out that compound. I always work until the product become a bit dry (at least with Megs) usually 4-6 passes on one spot, speed 4-5, when not spinning 6. About pressure I tried everything medium, heavy and very heavy, also moving speed 1-2inch in a second, even tried hearing up the spot as far as I was brave enough. Usually I do one pass then check my progress, then go another one same way more on the spots ai need mote job.
    I have been working pretty much but have never faced situation that I can not compound P3000 grit sand paper. It was a really hot day, I was working a in a shade maybe the product dried faster than ai could work, but I dont know. I was working on one BMW during the winter and the results were simular.
    Get rid of the M105.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually at this time I was looking where to get Menzerna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Parslina View Post
    Actually at this time I was looking where to get Menzerna
    If doing light colors, 400 can finish down lsp or finish down with 3500 or 3800.

Post Thanks / Like

M105 can be a bit finicky; M101 does just as well without uneccesary drama. I used M105...once.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So what you are saying you prefer M101 over M105? M101 is a bit more expensive but I might try it out at some point.